• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choosing an iPod Adapter for your oem NSX Stereo - the condensed version.

First, are you sure that you got the correct cable with your USA-Spec adapter? The cable with the round 8-pin DIN cable IS the correct cable. The cable with the square blue connector IS NOT the correct cable. The newer cables ARE the correct cable, and have three connectors: the adapter end, the square blue connector (wrong connector, not used, just leave it hanging), and the round 8-pin connector which is the connector you want. You have to remove a warning label wrapped around the 8-pin connector to use it, but this presents no problem, go ahead and peel off the warning label, because this is the connector you need to use.

There are "two" CD-Changers that are commonly installed in the trunk of the NSX - the "Acura" CD-Changer and the Alpine CD-Changer, but they are both the same - Alpine makes both of them. The Acura CD-changer is the same as the Alpine CD-changer, only with Acura labeling. It doesn't really matter either way, because keep in mind that you are removing the CD-changer completely to install the USA-Spec adapter. (Don't worry, trust me, you won't miss the CD-changer.)

To connect the USA-Spec adapter in the trunk, you plug into the trunk cable that runs to the Alpine unit, not into the Alpine unit itself, and not into the cable that hangs off the Alpine unit. Am I explaining this well? Remove the CD-changer (and the cable that dangles from it) completely from the trunk store it somewhere, you won't need it again (sell it on eBay). Plug the USA-Spec adapter into the trunk cable that the short run of CD-changer cable was formerly plugged into.

Or you could plug into the cable behind the driver's head, or you plug directly into the rear of the oem stereo (head unit) itself.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
...you plug into the cable that plugs into the Alpine unit, not into the Alpine unit itself, or ...

Hope this helps...

This Alpine (it's a silver case, by the way, not sure if it matters) is "hardwired" so the cable doesn't plug directly into it. That wire extends about 6 inches to the connector, which looks like a DIN, but it is not. I'll get a pic tomorrow.... More to come... Thanks!!

The round 8-pin DIN connector IS the correct connector. Remember, don't plug into the CD-changer or CD-changer cable. Plug into the trunk cable that the short length of cable to the CD-changer plugs into.

Important: Are you sure that you got the correct cable with your USA-Spec adapter? The older-style cable with the round 8-pin DIN cable IS the correct cable. The older-style cable with the square blue connector IS NOT the correct cable. The newer-style cable three-connector IS also the correct cable, but you have to "understand" it: the newer-style cable has three connectors: the adapter end, the square blue connector (wrong connector, not used, just leave it hanging), and the round 8-pin connector which is the connector you want. You have to remove a warning label wrapped around the round 8-pin connector to use it, but this presents no problem, go ahead and peel off the warning label, because this is the connector you need to use. You would only want to leave the warning label on if you were not going to use the round, 8-pin connector.

The CD-changer cable comes out of the Alpine unit, then goes behind the trunk liner, where it plugs into a round 8-pin DIN connector at the end of the trunk cable that runs from the passenger compartment. So, if you follow this short run of CD-changer cable behind the trunk liner, you should be able to unplug it from the trunk cable, then plug the USA-Spec adapter into the trunk cable, assuming you have the correct cable. The trunk cable should terminate in the trunk at a round, 8-pin DIN connector. I can't remember off the top of my head whether that end is male or female, but at any rate, the USA-Spec adapter should just plug right into the trunk cable where the CD-Changer cable was removed. I am assuming that you did get the 8-pin round DIN cable with your USA-Spec adapter.

Alternatively, you should be able to locate the cable junction behind the drivers' head, where you unplug the trunk cable and plug the adapter cable directly into the passenger-compartment cable, somewhere behind the driver's seat. There are a few pictures earlier in this thread for reference.

Or your third option is to remove the oem stereo to gain access to the back and plug directly into the back of the head unit. This is the location I prefer as it gives you the ease of installing the USA-Spec adapter down behind and below the head unit (there is plenty of room), which places the adapter in a convenient location for running a cable into the glovebox, or to a dash mount if you prefer that route.

The trunk location is mainly useful for testing your adapter, although you can use this for a long-term installation, as long as you don't want to access your iPod at all while driving, and just control it through the head unit. For a more versatile installation, where you really should plug into is the back of the head unit, or the cable behind the driver's head.

Again, hope this is helping...

Last edited:
I decided to say heck with the trunk effort and go for the long-term install location --- behind the driver's seat. I borrowed this pic from another thread:

DSC01409.JPG

I've disconnected both of those connectors.... but neither fit into my USA-Spec. Yes, they are 8 pin, but they have a little "horn" on them, like the one end of the "newer-style cable" that comes with the unit.

The solution is so simple that you are missing it entirely. The 3-connector cable plugs into the USA-spec adapter, then the 8-pin connector on the other end of THAT cable plugs into the passenger compartment cable. You plug the cable into the other cable.

The blue connector just hangs, unused. The USA-Spec adapter doesn't require a second, power-supply cable.

Last edited:
Oh gawd I am such an idiot! :redface: I'll pull out the lower cable in the am and plug it in the USA cable...

Gee, it's working. Duh. Somewhere I got in my head that the cable was only needed for the trunk install. THANKS MUCH!

Okay, I've been out of touch and back to updating my connections. Have we decided that the Grom is the best way to for people who want to go Bluetooth route and obviously no charging. I want to up update my old grom audio from years ago that I did.
Also, anyone figure out if it works with smartenna without installing the Grom Adapter in the trunk?? I want to use my iphone 4 while in drivers seat without the teachers pointer antenna going up.
Spare me the search or just post up link.

Here's my original install back in 08. (Post #8)
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?p=985473

Besides installing it in the trunk, Do we still do it this way? Has anyone figured out a better install?

Last edited:
Okay, I've been out of touch and back to updating my connections. Have we decided that the Grom is the best way to for people who want to go Bluetooth route and obviously no charging. I want to up update my old grom audio from years ago that I did.
Also, anyone figure out if it works with smartenna without installing the Grom Adapter in the trunk?? I want to use my iphone 4 while in drivers seat without the teachers pointer antenna going up.
Spare me the search or just post up link.

Here's my original install back in 08. (Post #8)
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?p=985473

Besides installing it in the trunk, Do we still do it this way? Has anyone figured out a better install?

See post #45 in this thread. I did it. You can run the DIN cable from the Smartenna into the Grom in the cabin or just the two wires (red/black) from the Smartenna to the Grom in the cabin for antenna control.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll have to do a visual in the trunk area. I was planning to connect grom directly behind radio unit since my center console is opened up.
thanks

See post #45 in this thread. I did it. You can run the DIN cable from the Smartenna into the Grom in the cabin or just the two wires (red/black) from the Smartenna to the Grom in the cabin for antenna control.

I bought a USA SPEC HON PA11 to use in my '91 NSX and having difficulties with syncing.

First time i hooked it up it worked fine. Then was installing it a bit more permanently. Connected it behind driver seat/CD changer plug.

Now it charges but Radio not recognizing the Iphone 4. Message device not optimized for this accessory.

Called USA SPEC and they said that the device wasn't supported for the NSX.

Any help would be appreciated.

I understand that a Smartenna can be used in conjunction with a Grom unit. Has anyone figured out how to use it in conjunction with a USA-Spec PA11-HON?

http://shop.easymountlcd.com/Honda-...-CD-Changer-Adapter-Kit-004-0001-004-0001.htm

If only this adapter would work with the NSX, it would be near perfect. I just ordered it for my Ridgeline for less than $20 shipped! :eek: Charges my iPhone, displays song info on the stereo, and steering wheel controls work great. After installing it per instructions, I couldn't get song info to display on the head unit. I noticed the iPhone was being detected as CDC (CD Changer) and not XM2. Played around with the dip switches, and finally got it to work like it should, by doing the opposite of the directions for the switches.

If you have another Honda vehicle, this adapter is great at an even greater price! I highly recommend it. No affiliation here btw :) In fact, I'm looking forward to USA Spec's BT35-HON bluetooth adapter for my ridgeline. I've seen video demo's of the Toyota version, and I'm liking it so far.

At $20 shipped, you can't go wrong, specially compared to USA Spec, GROM and other adapters that are +$100. That's at least 5x as much!
PS, it also comes with a 3.5mm AUX input as well.

ipod3M_WM.jpg

honda_module_cables_rs_z_WM.jpg

ipod-interface_carmount_rs_z_WM.jpg
ipod_interface_devicemount_rs_z_WM.jpg
ipodconnector_rs_z_WM.jpg
hondacables3_rs_z_WM.jpg

Here's USA Spec's BT35-TOY for Toyota and Lexus vehicles. I'm waiting for the Honda version to come out.
http://usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=73

product_187.jpg

product_289.jpg

Installation:
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qER5SbFcBuA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demo:
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JuFF3ujICaw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Just figured I would share my story with the GROM bluetooth adapter here. From my research, I see people have had some mixed results with GROM products, but I wanted AD2P bluetooth so I rolled the dice.

I ordered the bluetooth adapter with the USB cable and HON92 cable. I first plugged it in at the connection in the trunk. The bluetooth is visible for 3 minutes, paired it with my phone, no problem.

But the HU was displaying CDE-EEE which means it has no connection or BUS signal from the changer. So I flashed with the latest firmware, and still the same result. I tried plugging in the adapter at the connection behind the seat and directly into the radio. No difference.

Finally I discovered when you download the firmware update, you have to rename the file. I did that, flashed the adapter, and it worked. Tried it back in the trunk and behind the seat and both worked perfect. I permanently installed it behind the seat, with the bluetooth mic up near the seat belt and the USB/aux inputs ran into the center console.

Audio sounds perfect, device pairs within about ten seconds of turning on the ignition.

Just figured I would share my story with the GROM bluetooth adapter here. From my research, I see people have had some mixed results with GROM products, but I wanted AD2P bluetooth so I rolled the dice.

I ordered the bluetooth adapter with the USB cable and HON92 cable. I first plugged it in at the connection in the trunk. The bluetooth is visible for 3 minutes, paired it with my phone, no problem.

But the HU was displaying CDE-EEE which means it has no connection or BUS signal from the changer. So I flashed with the latest firmware, and still the same result. I tried plugging in the adapter at the connection behind the seat and directly into the radio. No difference.

Finally I discovered when you download the firmware update, you have to rename the file. I did that, flashed the adapter, and it worked. Tried it back in the trunk and behind the seat and both worked perfect. I permanently installed it behind the seat, with the bluetooth mic up near the seat belt and the USB/aux inputs ran into the center console.

Audio sounds perfect, device pairs within about ten seconds of turning on the ignition.

Thanks for the writeup. I have some question for you, if you could share with others...

As per the Grom web site there are two different units for the Acura HON92 (GROM-IPD3 and GROM-USB2) I sounds like you have the GRO-USB2 as per your description, but please verify.

Do you use an iPod or iPhone connected to this new Grom unit or do you just use the Bluetooth AD2P for music as well as phone?

If you use an iPod or iPhone, does the head unit mute the iPod when a call comes in?

Are you able to answer the phone via your head unit by selecting next track?

How well does voice command dialing work?

Does it charge your iPhone, (again, if you use an iPhone)

Thanks again.

Thanks for the writeup. I have some question for you, if you could share with others...

As per the Grom web site there are two different units for the Acura HON92 (GROM-IPD3 and GROM-USB2) I sounds like you have the GRO-USB2 as per your description, but please verify.

Do you use an iPod or iPhone connected to this new Grom unit or do you just use the Bluetooth AD2P for music as well as phone?

If you use an iPod or iPhone, does the head unit mute the iPod when a call comes in?

Are you able to answer the phone via your head unit by selecting next track?

How well does voice command dialing work?

Does it charge your iPhone, (again, if you use an iPhone)

Thanks again.

I have the IPD3 unit. I do not have the Ipod/Iphone adapter cable. I have been using bluetooth from my Android cell phone.

Yes, by selecting the next track, it answers the call, by hitting reverse track, it ends the call.

When streaming BT music from phone, the music mutes when a call comes in or you dial out. The HU also mutes when a call comes in or you dial when listening to a USB device (jump drive/hard drive) so I would imagine it would do the same when listening to an Ipod, although I can't say for sure.

As far as Iphone voice commands, I'm no help there. I can say that the couple people I have called so far with it have remarked at how clear the sound is from the microphone. I have it mounted near the slit in the paneling for the seat belt near the driver's head.

I have the IPD3 unit...

As far as Iphone voice commands, I'm no help there. I can say that the couple people I have called so far with it have remarked at how clear the sound is from the microphone. I have it mounted near the slit in the paneling for the seat belt near the driver's head.

That's a good idea, it is usable with the top off?

I don't think I have had any calls with the top off yet. It should work better than using the phone by any other method with the top off. I don't believe there is much wind that makes it back there.

I understand that a Smartenna can be used in conjunction with a Grom unit. Has anyone figured out how to use it in conjunction with a USA-Spec PA11-HON?

I wound up unplugging the antennae (big job - it took about five minutes) and I don't miss it all.

:biggrin:

http://shop.easymountlcd.com/Honda-...-CD-Changer-Adapter-Kit-004-0001-004-0001.htm

If only this adapter would work with the NSX, it would be near perfect. I just ordered it for my Ridgeline for less than $20 shipped! :eek:

Wow, thanks for the link, I just ordered a pair for my Accord & Pilot. Thank you.

Here's USA Spec's BT35-TOY for Toyota and Lexus vehicles. I'm waiting for the Honda version to come out.

I just sent an inquiry to USA spec re: ETA on the Honda version and whether will it work with the NSX (MBUS protocol).

Last edited:
I just sent an inquiry to USA spec re: ETA on the Honda version and whether will it work with the NSX (MBUS protocol).

"Hello Russell,

The BT35-HON is on it’s testing phase right now and should be released soon.

As far as which cars it will work with, we do not know until the testing phase is finished.

Please send us another email when our application guide comes out and you still have questions about if it would work in your car’s radio.

Best

Evan
USA SPEC"

I don't think I have had any calls with the top off yet. It should work better than using the phone by any other method with the top off. I don't believe there is much wind that makes it back there.

Can you post a picture of the mic mount?

Back