• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Circuit City offically toast... almost..

Vancehu, all excellent valid point. However, my feeling is that people like my father, who can't even turn on a computer, are going to need someplace to buy their electronics for the last 30 years of his life. He's not going online. He doesn't care about the best price, just a good one with someone to help him.

There are about 40 million more of my Dad out there right now.

Vancehu, all excellent valid point. However, my feeling is that people like my father, who can't even turn on a computer, are going to need someplace to buy their electronics for the last 30 years of his life. He's not going online. He doesn't care about the best price, just a good one with someone to help him.

There are about 40 million more of my Dad out there right now.

Totally agree. Yes they are people who know what they want and will purchase it on the internet. What about those who want to see the product before buying it? What about those who want someone to set it up and wall mount their tvs? I dont think the internet will do that for you. Is the internet going to come out to your home and fix your tv when it craps out? All in all there will always be room for one major electronic retailer and that is Best Buy.

In regards to earnings, best buy showed great earning for the month of December and so far this quarter is turning out to be very profitable. Shoppers this year waited till after x-mas for so-call better deals. Thats why 3rd quarter profits fell.

People can argue all day that Best Buy will follow Circuit maybe someday. If it happens 100 years from now, does that make your statement now true? If thats the case, every company may go out of business one day :rolleyes:

There has NEVER been a major electronic only retail chain survive the market permanently.

Sure, every business has the potential for closing eventually. Nothing is permanent in the business world.

RadioShack? Been around a long time. Founded 1921. You think they will follow the same path as CC in the near future? I don't think so. People at RadioShack know their products and can give you answers. BB and CC (and GG from years ago) - fail b/c they only offer the service level of an Internet Retailer yet carry the costs of a Brick and Mortar business.

Last edited:
They had two forces going against them. The internet, where people concerned with costs will most likely shop, and the custom installation industry that is taking huge chunks of that business because people need their stuff installed and adjusted and are willing to pay for it. This is a boost for Best Buy, as was the death of Tweeter Etc. Still, they have the same 2 forces going against them. Eventually they too will have to fold and you will have the inernet providing the goods and electricians and such stepping up to do basic installations. The high end will be handled by the better custom installation companies, where people can spend more. Frankly I was getting tired of gettig calls on botched installation jobs from most of the chains, hopefully some of those will go away.

has anyone gotten any good prices/deals on things from the CC liquidation?

my local CC is offering 10% off electronics, 20% off dvd's, cd's, games, and 30% off furniture...

waiting for the cameras to reach 20%-30% off and snag myself pro-sumer dsl-r body...

has anyone gotten any good prices/deals on things from the CC liquidation?

my local CC is offering 10% off electronics, 20% off dvd's, cd's, games, and 30% off furniture...

waiting for the cameras to reach 20%-30% off and snag myself pro-sumer dsl-r body...

I stopped by one yesterday and it was a PITA to get a price on anything. The CC sales guy told me that the liquidators were setting the prices but when i tried to find one they were all swamped at the checkout trying to get people rung up on systems they didn't know how to use. Talk about a cluster F**K!

I like a good deal as much as the next guy but right now i would hold off until they have a clue on what they are doing around there if you value your sanity.

We went on Saturday. The "deals" were not there yet. Pricing was not as good as Holiday sale pricing. Wait a few more weeks.

We did however get a 25% discount on some Wii accessories (they were only supposed to be 10% off). The sales guy gave us the 25% w/o saying anything b/c I was complaining that some of the DVDs that we bought were not marked as "On Sale". "On Sale" meant I didn't qualify for the 20% off on DVDs. That wasn't clearly marked, so I said something about it.
In the end we came out way ahead.

It's a catch 22, doesn't matter how cheap they sell the stuff, Internet venders will most likely to have better pricing.

You have to wait till the last few weeks before see any real deals.

Sure, every business has the potential for closing eventually. Nothing is permanent in the business world.

RadioShack? Been around a long time. Founded 1921. You think they will follow the same path as CC in the near future? I don't think so. People at RadioShack know their products and can give you answers. BB and CC (and GG from years ago) - fail b/c they only offer the service level of an Internet Retailer yet carry the costs of a Brick and Mortar business.

Because radio shack has a different business model. They do a lot of small parts/accessories no one carries, which is very profitable, and their stores are so small that relocation to a better shopping center when needed is not an issue - all they need to do is move the inventory, shelves, and that's it. Also, RS does not use massive sales teams to make them self a float.

Each RS stores usually run on three to four employees (not thirty or forty like BB), with no more than $10k a month in salary, plus their monthly retail front rental probably cost no more than $40k. Each stores have to do only $40k a month in business just to cut even due to high margins on accessories.

RS also don't sell super large items which requires another massive warehouse space.

You can make the argument but it will not fly. You cannot have a store front with 20 plus k square footage rentals space that cost you $30k a month, and $30k - $40k a month in in-store salary with additional six figure salaries for district and general managers.

Make sense?

RadioShack? Been around a long time. Founded 1921. You think they will follow the same path as CC in the near future? I don't think so.

They (Tandy Corp, Radio Shack's parent corp) already tried the electronics superstore format, about 10-15 years ago. It was called "Incredible Universe", and it failed miserably.

Because radio shack has a different business model. They do a lot of small parts/accessories no one carries, which is very profitable, and their stores are so small that relocation to a better shopping center when needed is not an issue - all they need to do is move the inventory, shelves, and that's it. Also, RS does not use massive sales teams to make them self a float.

Each RS stores usually run on three to four employees (not thirty or forty like BB), with no more than $10k a month in salary, plus their monthly retail front rental probably cost no more than $40k. Each stores have to do only $40k a month in business just to cut even due to high margins on accessories.

RS also don't sell super large items which requires another massive warehouse space.

You can make the argument but it will not fly. You cannot have a store front with 20 plus k square footage rentals space that cost you $30k a month, and $30k - $40k a month in in-store salary with additional six figure salaries for district and general managers.

Make sense?

Sure, makes sense. Thanks for the education on different business models, but I knew that already. :wink: You helped make my point with your post.

They (Tandy Corp, Radio Shack's parent corp) already tried the electronics superstore format, about 10-15 years ago. It was called "Incredible Universe", and it failed miserably.

That's right, I visited their stores in Washington before, and the store was huge. Imagine Costco size store with nothing but electronics.

And they sucked. The store I visited was at least 45 minutes from civilization to avoid high rent and the store shut down two years after it was opened.

That's right, I visited their stores in Washington before, and the store was huge. Imagine Costco size store with nothing but electronics.

And they sucked. The store I visited was at least 45 minutes from civilization to avoid high rent and the store shut down two years after it was opened.

You're more right than you know. The Incredible Universe that went out of business here is now a Costco.:biggrin:

Incredible Universe reminds me of Fry's. The difference is that at Fry's you actually get salespeople who know something about their product - maybe that's why they are still around. Funny thing is, the Incredible Universe that shut down out here is now a Fry's.

Incredible Universe reminds me of Fry's. The difference is that at Fry's you actually get salespeople who know something about their product - maybe that's why they are still around. Funny thing is, the Incredible Universe that shut down out here is now a Fry's.

I've been to that Fry's out in Sac before and went there when it was Incredible Universe back in 1997. I was so happy when it turned into a Fry's. I remember a friend telling me he went to Incredible Universe, as large as it was, he could not buy a floppy drive so they were not good for components. But regarding Fry's employees knowing something about their product, that's a bit of a stretch. :) I do remember an incident at the Fry's in Sac where this sales girl is trying to lecture me in something technical while I played dumb. Then she concluded it by saying "That's why we get paid what we do." My co-worker was with me and we had a good laugh.

I still see Incredible Universe trucks parked at the Fry's in Fountain Valley.

All of the Circuit City stores closed in the Kansas City area last month. I went to a couple of the stores when they were first liquidating all of their inventory back in November of '08 and found the prices way too high!!! Once a CC store starts liquidating, all of the inventory is marked-up to the store's full retail price. The liquidating company then starts marking down the price after a couple of weeks goes by. Also, if you purchase anything from them, any warranties have to be taken up with the manufacturer, CC basically washes their hands of that responsibility. I waited about a month when everything was 60% before buying anything (a couple of CDs and DVDs) and found by then all of the major merchandise was picked-over. If you buy anything from CC (or any store that is liquidating) be sure to remember the old adage "Buyer Beware!!!!"

John
'91 Red/Ivory

...But regarding Fry's employees knowing something about their product, that's a bit of a stretch. :)...

Fry's can he hit and miss. The one in Sac isn't very good. I go to the one in Roseville. They are pretty good there - not the best, but much better than the one in Sacramento.

Sad to see Best Buy go, but I can't think of the last time I walked into my local BB store

Yeah, I'll miss Circuit City. Like Borders - it was a great place to go and see the stuff you're going to buy first hand before you buy it online. Wonder why they're going under?

Yeah, I'll miss Circuit City. Like Borders - it was a great place to go and see the stuff you're going to buy first hand before you buy it online. Wonder why they're going under?

The Best Buy near me was a great place to go if you wanted to watch a saleskid texting rather than actually helping customers.

Back