• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cleared out my center taillight

I just cleared mine out today, pretty easy job. Took about 30 minutes, an oven, and some rubber sealant.

skafia-390731735.jpg

Now I just have to figure out which rear emblem to use...

Nihilation said:
Maybe leave it debadged?

That's what I've done, including removing the front emblem. It's great seeing people look at the car searching for some type of marking indicating who makes the car. :biggrin:

I cleared out mine too, and I put a Red H emblem as well. I'm thinking of clearing out the whole taillight assembly and then smoking out the lens. I hope you mean taking out the grid behind the lens when you say you cleared it out.

I just removed the ACURA lettering. I did not remove the yellow lense. What is the point of that lense?

skafia said:
I just removed the ACURA lettering. I did not remove the yellow lense. What is the point of that lense?

Take it out and you will see......j/k, its to cover the backing...when you took it apart did you notice the silver backing?...well, if you take the yellow lense off it will expose that and look tacky.

Looks great!!

And that black paint looks impeccable!!!:eek:
My car is red and I knew I would love the all clean red look back there when I did the removal. I was so relieved to find the A-C-U-R-A stickers come off so willingly!! Hope yours was as easy!

Mine didn't take that long though.
Let's just say you did yours at halftime while mine took the whole damn game. I am slow! I did the hot water technique. Looks like the oven was the ticket!! Hell, you probably made nachos while you were at it!
Nice work!

Terry
T-Med

wMTIzNjgxNzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

The method that I'm used to with other stuff like Headlight dissasembly would be to preheat an oven to 350 degrees, once it is heated, turn it off, and place the headlight on a cookie sheet and let sit for about 10 minutes.

Remove the tail light (careful it's hot) and use a screwdriver to slowly pry the light apart. You can repeat this process to reseal it up, but I recommend using a heat gun or a blowdryer if you don't have a heat gun. Remember to buy some extra sealant just to make sure it doesn't leak.

Letting the assembly sit in hot water (short of boiling... really hot tap water) for 10min also works for anyone who is nervous about 'baking' the plastic. Looks much better with no logo.

Ski_Banker said:
Confused (and don't take this the wrong way)... what did you do?? I know you nixed the "Acura" lettering inside, but is that all? :redface:

You have an amazing ability to perceive the perfectly obvious!

Looks great! I did the same thing with hot water. Easy as pie :D

I tried a gunmetal H emblem, but didn't like the look and instead had a black "H" cut from vinyl and applied...much better, and looks more stealth.

IDB Racing---> LOL! :tongue:

Back