• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch or throw out bearing?

Hi fellow members! I have an issue with my clutch or throw out bearing not sure what it is though. Did a hard pull however the clutch did not slip at all. After that I had it in neutral slowing down. As I try to stick it into 1st gear at the light I wouldnt let me in. The pedal felt mushy and It would grind if I try to get it in. When I do manage to get into gear it would sound really bad. Some gears were easier to get into than others. When I got home I realize there was no more clutch fluid in the reservior. I bled the clutch and same stuff happens. Before I go and spend 1500 or so on clutch and bearings I would like to narrow it down if its only the bearing it would save me a great amount of money.

Any input would help.

snap ring failure? hopefully not. may want to search about it to see if your symptoms match up. good luck.

You may want to check ur clutchmaster,slave and lines first if ur losing fluid.That would cause the clutch not to disengage.Or like my clutch did the spring poped out of the hub.

You may want to check ur clutchmaster,slave and lines first if ur losing fluid.That would cause the clutch not to disengage.Or like my clutch did the spring poped out of the hub.

+1 on the slave master. Check to see if you have adequate fluids in the reservoir.

yeah it was weird how all the fluid was gone. I filled up the fluid and flushed the system and still the same problem. It holds pressure but when I start the car it feels like the pressure decrease a bit. Is it normal that the clutch pedal vibrate when the car is on? Not much but just enough to notice it. Theres also a clicking noise when you press down on the clutch. Also its hard to shift into gear sometimes even when the car is off.

Last edited:
Okay I tried shift in gears with the car off. When shifting to reverse it was hard and it wont let me in. Going into 3rd it goes up and click ones and i push up more and it fully goes into 3rd. 1st 2nd 4th and 5th was easier to get in. This is with the car off.

Check for leaks in the clutch hydraulics and start from there. Empty reservoir = leak = problem. The rest are all symptoms to bad clutch hyraulics as you describe.

Last edited:
It is not all that wierd the fluid is gone. It is a common failure. Most of the time you can fill it, pump about 100 times and get your pedal pressure back. Then you should replace both Master/Slave. I am with goldNSX on this one.

Forget trying and testing the gears with the engine off. This offers little diagnotic value, since the gears/syncros are not spinning. I did not hear anything yet that would indicate snap-ring. If any gear does go in, all you know is that is "could" be the clutch not disengaging.

The pedal vibrating does indicate the T/O bearing is not so great, but I would get the hydraulics sorted first. You need to get the pedal pressure to feel right to diagnose if the clutch/bearing really has an issue.

Although not impossible, the clutch and hydraulics failing at the same time is rare:).

HTH,
LarryB

Okay I tried shift in gears with the car off. When shifting to reverse it was hard and it wont let me in. Going into 3rd it goes up and click ones and i push up more and it fully goes into 3rd. 1st 2nd 4th and 5th was easier to get in. This is with the car off.

The clutch is designed to allow shifting of moving parts. It is not unusual to have perceived "shifting problems" with the input shaft to the transmission not turning in an "engine off" situatuation.
The loss of your clutch hydraulic fluid is the first concern,. That is supposed to be a sealed system. A catastrophic loss as you described (no fluid) means that there is a leak somewhere that may be the entire problem. Find the leak and its cause. Repair that before you can diagnose any farther. Hopefully you have no transmission gear or clutch damage from a clutch hydraulic system failure.

picture768.jpg

picture769c.jpg

picture770.jpg

The clutch is at its end, a spring is out and last but not least you've removed much too much things at the rear end. :D

Serious: I'm glad you've found it. :)

you'll be back on the road soon. after all is reinstalled, take a good look at that pass. rear brake line for leaks. that thing is stretching pretty good. :eek:

Back