• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coilover fitment

Here is what I do, because I have the same problem as you with my JRZs. I put a jack under the brake rotor ...

Yeah I will try this. Thanks for the suggestion.

I said Appears. From the looks of the pictures that you posted the VRH does take up 20mm of space, or push the spring down farther. I was not blaming your issue on Ravi at all. If it doesn't take up any extra space that a regular setup would, then it appears wrong. If the coilovers came off a race NSX with different control arms... possibly you should have researched that previously. Goodluck with your suspension hope you get your issues all straightened out.

No this has nothing to do with the VRH. Fitment on the VRH has been perfect, and to my surprise it is also extremely light. Ravi has been super helpful so far trying to help me with this issue that has basically nothing to do with him. Frankly I can't believe the amount of time the guy has been putting in to help me with my super exotic non-standard parts.

The real issue is that this suspension came off a race NSX in Germany, and I got very little detail on it from Procar when I bought it. That car may have been using custom control arms for all I know.

So I wanted to document all of this on this thread, and hopefully it will help someone else in the future. Going to try a few different things tomorrow.

I said Appears. From the looks of the pictures that you posted the VRH does take up 20mm of space, or push the spring down farther. I was not blaming your issue on Ravi at all. If it doesn't take up any extra space that a regular setup would, then it appears wrong. If the coilovers came off a race NSX with different control arms... possibly you should have researched that previously. Goodluck with your suspension hope you get your issues all straightened out.

The underside of my canister piston places the spring at the exact same position as the underside of the original kw upper spring mount, it does not shift the spring farther downward on the damper.

This is all calculated at the time of fabrication as is the length of the replacement spring, I cannot however control the overall length of the damper supplied to me, and I did express concerns about its dimensions and possible fitment issues to Dave.

Ravi

update?

Welcome to custom cars.

I find it odd that your surprised by this....you are putting air ride suspension on....it is NEVER a straight bolt on deal.

Welcome to custom cars.

I find it odd that your surprised by this....you are putting air ride suspension on....it is NEVER a straight bolt on deal.

My VRH kits are always a straight bolt on deal, and the vrh system is not air ride, you are not riding on air.

The issue here is a damper set not designed or ever fit verified for a street car.

Thanks

Ravi

Welcome to custom cars.

Yeah I have to say, I can't believe how straightforward ravi's system actually is. Also he didn't sell me a bunch of parts and say "go install these". He took my coilovers, installed new springs, put on new top hats, fixed the worn bump stops, even cleaned them up before he sent them to me. After my purchase, he's been on the phone with me every single day helping me, making suggestions, explaining solutions, etc. I was going to make a separate post on this but I would say the product quality is fantastic and his service has been beyond anything I expected.

Anyway, I got them in, and this is the ride height as they were set in the race NSX they came out of. I am going to try to raise it some tomorrow. What do you guys think of the look? Too slammed or good? The local car guys seem to love it but I am a bit uncomfortable with it.

e50cc949.jpg

8217cedf.jpg

d654e555.jpg

8bb0158f.jpg

Looks sick but say goodbye to that lip. Even with the VRH that car is slammed!! Love the look though lol

Ya, that's a little too slammed for me. Plus it looks like it needs more rake. The back is awfully low.

sent from my crappy cell phone.

Your suspension geometry is probably significantly compromised at that height too

Yeah I agree. I know it needs to go up. But how much... Where is the sweet spot is the question.

Dave, too slammed! I am glad you got it to work finally.

Yeah I raised the perch to the very top and got rid of the tender springs, and I was able to bolt it in but it is this low. This damper is shorter than V3's. I have a few turns to go up on the perch and a 1/4" spring base that I am putting in tomorrow to see how far that will raise it up. I am somewhat maxed out now on the damper threads, the perch is very close to the top edge. If that doesn't work, I can have a spring base machined to a custom thickness to put it exactly where I need it. The suggestion to put a jack under the rotor and take the suspension out of full droop then lowering the perch will only lower the car. Obviously not what I need with this damper. I have some adjustment range, just not a lot. It doesn't matter though I am not planning on constantly fiddling with height. It needs to go where it needs to go and be left alone. The rears have a huge adjustment range so adjusting proper rake is not an issue.

Boy I sure have learned a lot these last few days.

Looks great like that . What hood is that , :biggrin:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/4512740" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

You will bend your front fender edge....trust me.

Probably not too much lower than the type R specs. Ask your buddy Billy :biggrin:

At this height the smallness of the 17/17 setup for the rear looks super small. I'm personally just not a fan at all. Hey you asked!

At this drop the wheels look even bigger to me! We must be looking through different eyeballs. Tell me... What do you think of Scarlett johanssen?

Back