• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coming to America.... Florida! Tips, Advice etc etc.

Monday 2nd Feb i will be in Florida, Orlando for 10 days!

We have hired a V6 Mustang Convertible, hoping to upgrade once we land.

Never been to America before.

As a Newb...

Suggestions? Places to eat, Things to do?

Any car events / meets? Is there any racing or meets in the evenings? Drag strips? Tracks? Would like to experience a bit of America's car scene.

I have a 3 Park unlimited to ticket Harry Potter World *Cough, i mean Universal haha. Booked a Nascar 8 lap experience at Disney Speedway.

Also booked Ice Hockey tickets in Tampa Bay. Anaheim Ducks vs Tampa Bay Lightnings. We are on the lower floor half way. What do we wear? is it crazy cold? Is there really fights? most games or odd occasions? Do supporters all sit together or are have opposite ends? I was hoping to purchase a Jersey for the Anaheim Ducks didn't want a big slurp tipped over the back of my head haha. (Yes that would likely happen at a football match here.)

Baja buggies look fun but can't see where you hire them from, also a shooting range perhaps where someone who has never fired a gun can have a go on a automatic rifle or similar.

Never driven in USA before, your traffic lights are so different compared to ours, what are the basics? haha. Yes really :p.

I used to watch Man vs Food and was hoping for some awesome steak house near Kissimmee but doesn't look like there was any places featured in the show on the door step.

I need to hang out with Dan Bizerian for the week :biggrin:

Last edited:
Where are you from?

Orlando is a fun place, especially for families. Not where most would go for a cultural or scenic experience but the weather will be good. Those closer by will have suggestions I am sure.

I was hoping to purchase a Jersey for the Anaheim Ducks didn't want a big slurp tipped over the back of my head haha.

Order a Ducks jersey from their webstore and have it delivered to your hotel.

Being in New Jersey I'm a Devils fan and can tell you inside the rink it's not cold at all but long sleeves are preferred over short. Don't worry about supporters/fans sitting together or not. Besides, you have assigned seating and ushers frown upon those who switch seats.

That should be a great game between two teams that are poised to make the post-season.

advice, dont keep anything valuable in the trunk of the rental car, the rental cars have a licence plate that begins with a certain number or letter BAD guys look for this and is easy pickings
because of the ammount of tourists. its a big problem.

but if you want to see the ocean either direction your gonna arrive at an ocean LOL

Shula's steakhouse. Try the 48 ounce porterhouse if you want to feel like a real man.......

You are also around an hour away from daytona speedway. While in daytona you can drive your car on the beach - yes, on the actual sand!

Last edited:
Where are you from?

Orlando is a fun place, especially for families. Not where most would go for a cultural or scenic experience but the weather will be good. Those closer by will have suggestions I am sure.

I disagree but I live here:wink: A lot of people come here only go to the theme parks and stay near I-drive and the convention center...I would think the same thing too if that's all I did.

That said it depends on what you want to do. Tourist stuff, local stuff...if you are going to Tampa, I would do yourself a favor and go to one of the west coast beaches like Siesta Key (Sarasota) or Clearwater beach. The sand is a powder white and fine sand, the beach is wide as well.

If I had friends in Orlando, I would take them out to Thornton Park on a Sunday so they could grab a nice brunch, mabye at Dexters, take a walk around Lake Eola and go to the farmers market. They sell beer and mimosas at the farmers market and if it's nice out it will have a nice crowd. (I live downtown, so am often out walking with my dog, since I can walk to everything down there)

Favorite Restaurants Downtown:
Kasa
Kres Chophouse
Shakai
Ceviche

There are many more though

Another nice area to go is Winter Park specifically Park Ave. Great restaurants, nice date place etc.
Oh if you have a nice day, I would highly recommend doing the winter park boat tour, it's cheap and something easy and relaxing to do...plus you can gawk at some really nice houses.

Orlando has in recent times had a lot of really great local restaurants pop up.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...ed-best-foodie-city-for-your-wallet-post.html

So it all depends on what you want to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Monday 2nd Feb i will be in Florida, Orlando for 10 days!

We have hired a V6 Mustang Convertible, hoping to upgrade once we land.

:

BTW Great convertible weather right now...my fiancee has an S2000 and it's great with the top down!

Thanks for all the info, was very helpful.

Had a awesome time....

The hockey was so much warmer than in the UK haha.
Nascar was so cool to drive...!! is a must!
Shot a MP5 and hand gun, never seen anything over a 2.2 air rifle before.
Went to Classic car meet
Universal and Harry Potter world :D
Gatorland
Airboat Ride
Bumble Bee rental upgrade... :p
Day a Clearwater beach

One thing that stood out was how nice and friendly everyone was in and outside the tourist areas, nothing like back home.

I'm already planning my return trip or longer term, oh how i wish.

It took me a few days, beeps and flashes to work out you can turn right on a red at a junction and pull U turns. haha.

Back