• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Comment's please on Meguiar's recommendations

Fct

Contributing Member
I used the Meguiar's site and asked for recommendations (for this summer's hand washing and waxing) and I got this list:

- Gold Class™ Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
- ScratchX®
- Deep Crystal® System Carnauba Wax
- Supreme Shine® Microfiber
- Ultimate Quik Detailer®
- Hot Rims® Chrome Polish

Has anybody here used any of these products? I would appreciate you comments on other products used.

I've used a lot of Meguiar's product and have been very pleased with them. It's difficult to answer your question because so much of this depends on the condition of your interior and exterior.

Could you provide more information, including the color of your car?

Last edited:
I've used a lot of Meguiar's product and have been very pleased with them. It's difficult to answer your question because so much of this depends on the condition of your interior and exterior.

+1.....

Unless you're a big time Carnuaba lover, you may like there NXT 2.0 line better. It's a good filler wax and will help to hide some of the swirls and such.

ScratchX is okay, I've heard both good and bad about it, so I'd say it's just so so. Wont' hurt to use it.

Everything else looks like a good selection.

Josh

I've been using (recently) the Meguiar's 4 step: Clay, cleaner, wax, sealer and been very pleased with the results on my spa yellow pearl car. I'm generally a wax whore, I've tried them all and have no real allegiance, I've done: Zaino, Zymol, Meguiars NXT, Black Magic, and probably a dozen others I can't recall now. :eek:

Zaino is really good according to Fchatters.

Mcguiars is good make sure the wax your using is for "non oxidized" cars and safe. There are two versions and carnuba has the brightest luster of any wax.

I've been using (recently) the Meguiar's 4 step: Clay, cleaner, wax, sealer and been very pleased with the results on my spa yellow pearl car. I'm generally a wax whore, I've tried them all and have no real allegiance, I've done: Zaino, Zymol, Meguiars NXT, Black Magic, and probably a dozen others I can't recall now. :eek:

Typically you should seal before you wax and make sure there's no oils in the products (wax/sealants won't last as long on top of oily surface) you use before you seal and also make sure the wax you use after you seal has no cleaning abilities like NXT or you'll be removing the sealant you just put on.....

Meg's line is known through the years to have high levels of oils and fillers in there products which is one of the reasons why they make the cars look so good, but it's only a temparily cover up and typically washes away after 1-2 car washes.

You are definately on the right track though knowing that it's all about the proper prep work before you wax/seal.

Josh

Zaino is really good according to Fchatters.

Mcguiars is good make sure the wax your using is for "non oxidized" cars and safe. There are two versions and carnuba has the brightest luster of any wax.

Are you refering to the difference between Polymer Sealants and Carnuaba Waxes? Both are often called wax however.

Polymer tend to give more of a glass like look where as Carnuabas tend to give more of a warmth and depth.

However despite what every manufacturer will tell you Carnuabas only last a few weeks before the suns heat evaporates them and the oils in them used to soften the carnuaba wash off the surface.

Polymer waxes/sealants on the other hand last much longer, depending on the formulation and brand anywhere from 2 months up to 7 months like I've seen with Zaino.

The key to the shine is really not in the wax, but in preparing the surface by claybaring, polishing out defects and then sealing the new look.

Some like to put on a few layers of a sealant first, let it cure for a day or two, then top over with a good none cleaner carnuaba wax.

Alot of it is preference, but again prep work is the key.

Josh

Could you provide more information, including the color of your car?

Color is Formula Red.
The exterior condition is fairly good, maybe good be waxed more. The feeling is smooth when I run my hand over the painted surfaces.

The interior condition is average. The leather seat is showing age, with creases and wrinkles, but together and intact.

I wonder why Meguiar's did not recomend the use of clay?

Are you refering to the difference between Polymer Sealants and Carnuaba Waxes? Both are often called wax however.

Polymer tend to give more of a glass like look where as Carnuabas tend to give more of a warmth and depth.

However despite what every manufacturer will tell you Carnuabas only last a few weeks before the suns heat evaporates them and the oils in them used to soften the carnuaba wash off the surface.

Polymer waxes/sealants on the other hand last much longer, depending on the formulation and brand anywhere from 2 months up to 7 months like I've seen with Zaino.

The key to the shine is really not in the wax, but in preparing the surface by claybaring, polishing out defects and then sealing the new look.

Some like to put on a few layers of a sealant first, let it cure for a day or two, then top over with a good none cleaner carnuaba wax.

Alot of it is preference, but again prep work is the key.

Josh

Josh,
I enjoy washing and waxing cars (more than driving) and with your professional opinion above would it be possible for me to advance to Zaino (lasting months vs. week with waxes) from the traditional system of Meguiar's? If so, where can I read up to know what to do, and how? Would you recommend a wash-wax package like the one I received from Meguiar's

Josh,
I enjoy washing and waxing cars (more than driving) and with your professional opinion above would it be possible for me to advance to Zaino (lasting months vs. week with waxes) from the traditional system of Meguiar's? If so, where can I read up to know what to do, and how? Would you recommend a wash-wax package like the one I received from Meguiar's

Zaino actually has a good system, (kit) that you can buy. www.zainostore.com

Do you have an orbital buffer or anything?
You can also do this by hand, but best results come with buffing experience.

If it were me and I was going to upgrad from Meg's to Zaino I'd get this:

1 Z7 (car wash soap)
2 ZPC (very mild water based diminishing abrasive polish, no oils, no fillers)
3 ZAIO
4 Z5
5 Z6/Z8

There leather cleaner and conditioner is top notch as well.

After two bucket washing, claybar the car, the ZPC will cleanse the surface and help remove some defects (not deep swirls) while darkening and deepening the color. Then ZAIO will help to further cleanse and polish the surface while laying a foundation for the Z5 sealant to properly bond to. After sealing I always follow up with Z6.

Also, you can use the Z6 or Z8 after every wash to help extend the life and slickness of the sealants and also give an extra pop to the paint.

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial. I just really like Zaino and what it does for me and my clients cars.

Josh

Thanks Josh. I will give that a try...and may have more questions later. I do not have and am afriad of using an orbital; if it was my wife's car maybe. So I will have to stay with muscle power.

Zaino actually has a good system, (kit) that you can buy. www.zainostore.com

Do you have an orbital buffer or anything?
You can also do this by hand, but best results come with buffing experience.

If it were me and I was going to upgrad from Meg's to Zaino I'd get this:

1 Z7 (car wash soap)
2 ZPC (very mild water based diminishing abrasive polish, no oils, no fillers)
3 ZAIO
4 Z5
5 Z6/Z8

There leather cleaner and conditioner is top notch as well.

After two bucket washing, claybar the car, the ZPC will cleanse the surface and help remove some defects (not deep swirls) while darkening and deepening the color. Then ZAIO will help to further cleanse and polish the surface while laying a foundation for the Z5 sealant to properly bond to. After sealing I always follow up with Z6.

Also, you can use the Z6 or Z8 after every wash to help extend the life and slickness of the sealants and also give an extra pop to the paint.

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial. I just really like Zaino and what it does for me and my clients cars.

Josh
The nice thing about the Zaino leather conditioner is that it smells just like....................................................................................................Leather!!!

The nice thing about the Zaino leather conditioner is that it smells just like....................................................................................................Leather!!!

Very true, all my clients that I've used it in absolutely love the smell afterwards.

Thanks Josh. I will give that a try...and may have more questions later. I do not have and am afriad of using an orbital; if it was my wife's car maybe. So I will have to stay with muscle power.

The PC is extremely user friendly, seriously nothing to be afraid of. I know what you mean though, the first time I used it on my Corvette I was a bit aprehensive too, so I just did a simple wax job with it to get a feel for it......now I'm detailing full time and use a rotary....:biggrin:

Once you get the hang of it, it's so simple and can really make your car look like new again, you'd be surprised.

I'm always up for questions, so fire away.
Josh

Back