• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Meguiar's NXT 2.0

Update on my v2 experience. I have washed the car twice and its probably 50-75% gone. Certainly doesn't last long but its so damn easy to put on that I really don't care.

I'm new to the NSX world but not to car detailing. I've got a 93 black LE Miata that is a garage queen and a daily driver 97 red Miata that stays outside. When the NXT 2.0 came out, I washed and clayed the black car, polished it with a Porter Cable 7424 and Meguiars #80 polish just to make sure there wasn't any light swirling on the paint. Then applied the NXT with a waxing pad on the 7424 as that helps avoid any streaking or uneven coverage. I also did the same treatment to the daily driver.

The NXT does leave a very deep shine, better than Meguiars yellow wax. Both cars looked great when finished. The black one went back into the garage, under a cotton dust cover, the red one back to its outdoor parking spot. Washed the red one a week later with Blue Corral car wash liquid, two bucket method and the NXT 2.0 was basically gone. Water wasn't beading and wouldn't sheet off the horizontal surfaces. Just out of curiosity, brought out the black one and washed it. Probably removed 50% of the wax and remember, this car went right back inside under a cotton dust cover. There was a noticeable decrease in the shine after just that one wash. Now, both these cars are single stage paint so perhaps clearcoat holds the shine a lot longer.

I'm a big believer in the professional line from Meguiars (84/83/80/26) but the NXT 2.0 is inferior to even their own cleaner/wax in the purple bottle that at least lasts through half a dozen car washes. Their consumer products seem far more oriented towards ease of application and that initially shine than durability or paint protection. Just my two cents, YMMV.

I'm new to the NSX world but not to car detailing. I've got a 93 black LE Miata that is a garage queen and a daily driver 97 red Miata that stays outside. When the NXT 2.0 came out, I washed and clayed the black car, polished it with a Porter Cable 7424 and Meguiars #80 polish just to make sure there wasn't any light swirling on the paint. Then applied the NXT with a waxing pad on the 7424 as that helps avoid any streaking or uneven coverage. I also did the same treatment to the daily driver.

The NXT does leave a very deep shine, better than Meguiars yellow wax. Both cars looked great when finished. The black one went back into the garage, under a cotton dust cover, the red one back to its outdoor parking spot. Washed the red one a week later with Blue Corral car wash liquid, two bucket method and the NXT 2.0 was basically gone. Water wasn't beading and wouldn't sheet off the horizontal surfaces. Just out of curiosity, brought out the black one and washed it. Probably removed 50% of the wax and remember, this car went right back inside under a cotton dust cover. There was a noticeable decrease in the shine after just that one wash. Now, both these cars are single stage paint so perhaps clearcoat holds the shine a lot longer.

I'm a big believer in the professional line from Meguiars (84/83/80/26) but the NXT 2.0 is inferior to even their own cleaner/wax in the purple bottle that at least lasts through half a dozen car washes. Their consumer products seem far more oriented towards ease of application and that initially shine than durability or paint protection. Just my two cents, YMMV.

Nice review, I unfortunately came to the same conclusions, but most people think it's a great wax for some reason???:confused:

Josh

I was putting this on (again) last night and found that putting it ON TOP OF itself was not as easy as putting it on the first time. Does that make sense?

I mean, I was 50-75% worn off and it seemed much harder to take off. Not difficult, mind you, just not as easy as the first time.

I used NXT 1.0 on my black TSX and found it did not last long at all, but looked amazing until it wore off. :redface:

For the NSX, considering the issues with NXT 2.0, what should be my top coat of wax over the sealant? Zaino, Zymol, Pinnacle or Meg's Carnauba? I understand it should not be a cleaner wax, as it will undo the selant...

Easier than Ice? Are you guys letting this stuff (Ice) haze? Don't do that. You are supposed to apply and wipe to a shine as you go not let it dry! If it dries it is a b*tch to remove. That is what makes it last long. I use at least 2 microfiber towels as the original one gets wet and you need a drier one to wipe it off. I keep applying with the original towel that becomes wet. About 5 minutes the whole car is done without any heavy buffing. Just wipe on, wipe off right away. I think Ice is sooooo easy to use you just do it almost every time I take the car out either before I leave or after but before the cover goes on.

I have washed many times and it still looked great but usually ended uspraying the ice on before puting it away.

Tytus

Since I wash and wax every week, I don't mind the Karate Kid training with the 2.0 since it delivers the shine and is easier to wipe off than the ICE.

Of course, Zaino is the best of both worlds.

I checked out Zaino and it too looks like mostly a polymner sealant. Since I'll be applying the wax on top of a sealant (probably Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket), I would pretty much be putting a sealant on top of a sealant, right?Maybe I should just stick with a good carnauba like Meg's or Pinnacle...

I ordered this Meguiar's NXT 2.0 from Amazon.com, but what arrived today was this. Am I crazy or did they ship me the original stuff (1.0)?? And yes, I double checked my order and confirmation and it said 2.0.

2717318277_ddb91dbabc.jpg

I ordered this Meguiar's NXT 2.0 from Amazon.com, but what arrived today was this. Am I crazy or did they ship me the original stuff (1.0)?? And yes, I double checked my order and confirmation and it said 2.0.

My bottle says 2.0 on it so looks like you might have gotten ripped off.

I washed my other car which had NXT 2.0 for about 3 months on it and it's nearly worn completely off, good riddance. Time to clay it, and use Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 followed by CG 5050 wax FTW!

I checked out Zaino and it too looks like mostly a polymner sealant. Since I'll be applying the wax on top of a sealant (probably Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket), I would pretty much be putting a sealant on top of a sealant, right?Maybe I should just stick with a good carnauba like Meg's or Pinnacle...

Go Zaino and thank me in the morning.....

My bottle says 2.0 on it so looks like you might have gotten ripped off.

I washed my other car which had NXT 2.0 for about 3 months on it and it's nearly worn completely off, good riddance. Time to clay it, and use Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 followed by CG 5050 wax FTW!

+1

Instead of shipping it back, just go to a local auto shop or even Walmart, buy the right one and hopefully someone else, preferrably a GTR owner, procures the 1.0 version....

Oh god, too many options. Someone please just tell me exactly which wax (and other stuff) to buy. :biggrin:

Casey,

The EXACT same thing happened to me with Amazon. I forget the company that actually sells/ships to you but they are basically trying to offload the old product. I went round and round with them and phone support and finally got a new bottle (2.0) shipped to me. I can only assume they are doing this to almost everyone.

That said, this was a few months back when the 2.0 was not fully available, or at least I could not find it. Now its in stock at WalMart.

Good luck!

Oh god, too many options. Someone please just tell me exactly which wax (and other stuff) to buy. :biggrin:

I trust what detailers use and a lot of them swear by Chemical Guys. I use their products now and am a convert, I used to use Zaino but couldn't get a deep shine on my black NSX. They have a 5050 wax combo with the Jetseal 109 that will do the job nicely. Not cheap but it's worth it, trust me. For $153, I would go for this kit. Just google chemical guys and you can follow around the different links to see what people think of and do with their products.

i wax my cars (in last 5 years, 2 NSX and 3 M3's) A LOT always by hand (im old school)

BEST IMO (i have tried almost all but not the NEW 2.0nxt) is still Zaino!

My 1991 NSX was ORIGINAL 45k paint and i had more compliments on it "how the hell does it not have one swirl mark" "good god how much did the new paint job cost you" and yes it was BLACK! I can't lie, it was ugly when i bought (lady took to car washes...oye!) but after A LOT of work (never machine) it was amazing.

YES zaino is hard to get. YES its not $12 at pep boys. YES it takes much more time.

If i had a DD nsx i'd use the NXT2.0 but for my baby, white NSX sitting in my garage all warm/dry and cozy i enjoy the sunday wax "fest" once a year (yes once a YEAR since i spent 8hrs on it, and only drive MAYBE 3,000 miles on it)

If you have the time, patience and ENJOY the reward, step up, buy the GOOD stuff, take your time and smile at the result!

....YES zaino is hard to get. YES its not $12 at pep boys. YES it takes much more time........

The first initial application (if done by the book) of Zaino is multiple stages.

But after that, if you are on top of it, it's no different than any other wax job.

You primarly use the Z2.

It's easier to apply and wipe off.

One bottle lasted me a year per car. I wash and wax every week which is overkill for a Zaino'd car.

EXACTLY! It was SEVERAL processes. The black 91' NSX took me about a week of work to get it's base so great, then it was always covered in garage and a sunshine queen only. Hell i dont ever even run wiper blades (they look stupid) but when you only drive little like me, you want it looking best.

Zaino FTW

I have yet to try that good stuff Z. There are so many different product lines. Don't they make an all in one bottle or do you have to buy a few different bottles and do in stages?

I have yet to try that good stuff Z. There are so many different product lines. Don't they make an all in one bottle or do you have to buy a few different bottles and do in stages?

Always have Z2.

If u have swirl marks get Z5.

Z1 is the primer. But that's a one time thing.

I think u can squeek by with just Z2.

Wow, I did not mean to start this thread to turn it into a Wax war!! My intention was simply to review a product which I thought was great.

I have Zaino Z2, Turtle Wax ICE, P21S, Zymol, Klasse and many other waxes in my garage and find that each ones has its pros and cons (I just like trying different ones).

Have fun waxing whichever wax you have!

Wow, I did not mean to start this thread to turn it into a Wax war!! My intention was simply to review a product which I thought was great.

I have Zaino Z2, Turtle Wax ICE, P21S, Zymol, Klasse and many other waxes in my garage and find that each ones has its pros and cons (I just like trying different ones).

Have fun waxing whichever wax you have!
Same as me, I'm a wax whore, I'll try almost any wax that someone raves about. I've done Zaino, Zymol, and everything else. I have more half empty containers of wax than I could use in a lifetime on the 3 cars that we have. Lately, I'm stuck on the Meguiar's 3 step process and am very pleased with the results, but hey.............tomorrow I might find a new wax to try and have 3 half empty containers to add to the used, tried and maybe will again pile!

I tried the original version and though it was complete crap!! My buddy bought a bottle of the 2.0. He states that it lasts a bit longer but he decided to only use it on his track car. We stick with Zaino for all our "nice" cars.:wink:

Just Tried it

Having been a fan of the 1st generation Meguiar's NXT for 5 years now, I was eager to try the new 2.0 Generation. I should preface this by saying that I liked the original bc it was so easy to wipe off compared to other waxes that I have used & I found the 2.0 to be not quite as easy. My guess would be that this is the trade off for it lasting longer.

I am no car care enthusiast but from a Joe Average Who Buys his Stuff from Wal-mart point-of-view, I am pleased w/ the results. My car is shiny & looks nice ... I wax every 3 months & even w/ the 1st generation never took note of how long it lasts (the only way I have been told to know it is time to wax is if the water stops beading on your car - which has never happened to me).

Anyhow, that is my $.02.

Well,,, I wax my NSX every week,, build up that wax LOL,, but I am in Florida so this 17+ year paint sure looks good,

Back