• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Comptech CT Eng Power grip2 Clutch

Any Reviews on the Comptech Powergrip2 clutch......

Read some on here, but most just talked about the chatter with the old discs and the high pressure feeling.

1. Do you lose any tq down low with light flywheel?
2. Clutch Pedal Feel?
3. On and Off feel?
etc...
Thanks in Advance

Comptech Ct Eng Powergrip2 Clutch

Last edited:
Not sure about the torque down low, I felt that the lower flywheel mass helped acceleration down low. The pedal is double the pressure of stock and is very comperable to the RPS single disc clutch. Engagement is smooth with no chatter. It is not an "on or off" clutch and has reasonable travel for engagement. The life expectancy is somewhat low in my opinion and the 2 I have had did not make it over 20,000 miles. The pedal pressure is an issue for some people, especially in stop and go traffic but most are quickly accustomed to the increase pressure.
FWIW the RPS seems to have a longer life expectancy, mine currently is pushing 30,000 at over 500 rwhp with no slip.

Last edited:
Both are very good clutches. The PG2 has at least 4-5 years of history and the RPS has about 2-3 years of history. I think it's safe to say that both have proven to be reliable. We have installed quite of the RPS clutches in cars from stock - 600 wheel horsepower. I use this on two of our high horsepower cars in house and have been very happy with the results. I love how the RPS being significantly lighter than stock allows the engine to free rev much faster - making rev-matched downshifts a pleasure.

A couple notes:

1. The RPS single disc clutch uses the same pressure plate / diaphragm design as the Comptech PG2, so the pedal effort will be similar. You will be able to find several reviews of the RPS online as it is a very popular clutch.

It's important to understand that in a clutch design, you can produce increased holding power over stock with surface area, friction, or clamping force. Both clutches are single disc, and have decent sized discs used. This design allows it to be used on either early or later cars (a twin disc carbon / organic clutch for extreme horsepower is now available which you can find on our site as well). The downside of making the friction liner with a high coefficient of friction (like Exedy clutches) is that the engagement is very static, making engagement and modulation in stop and go traffic very difficult. Both the RPS and Comptech clutch use a relatively stiffer spring rate to achieve the holding power they are capable of. This translates into the clutch pedal being stiffer than stock. The pressure required to depress the pedal is about 50% stiffer than stock. Most people are not bothered by this, but it is a point to consider. The upside with this design is that the clutches are very easy to engage (as smooth as stock).

2. The engagement of the clutches are very similar. I believe the RPS stage 1 clutch engages smoother than the PG2 - however it is so minor it may be insignificant.

3. There are a couple notable advantages of the RPS clutch including:
a. patented segmented flywheel design - reduces wear from warpage & reduces rebuild cost as it can be reused.
b. the clutch cover is machined billet aluminum on the RPS compared to the cast cover on the PG2. This increases the strength of the clutch.
c. the RPS features locating pins that centers the clutch precisely when it is spun balanced and then installed. I don't know if the PG2 is spun balanced, but I see this as an advantage if it is not.
A couple notes:
d. we offer the RPS below for a price that is less expensive than the PG2.

Based on this, I recommend the ScienceofSpeed dual disc clutch for customers that have increased performance requirements but want a clutch pedal that is close to stock. This clutch is best for 1991-96 NSX and can be found here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/clutch/

For customers with higher horsepower requirements or for most customers with 1997-2005 NSX that don't want to pay the exorbitant price for a factory single disc clutch, I prefer the RPS:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/RPS/

By the way, this is the new RPS twin disc carbon fiber / organic clutch. It's out of scope of this discussion, but a neat thing to look at:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/RPS/twin_disc_carbon/

I hope this was helpful. Feel free to call us if you have any questions.

cheers,
-- Chris

Last edited:
Thank You both for your info....Helps allot........

I here RPS is the way......

I installed the powergrip2...... Coming from a Centerforce Clutch

1. Pedal is very stiff, with low travel
2. Close to on/off but not as severe
3. Flywheel--Makes a Diff IMO
4. Car REV faster
5. Downshift and Up shift quickly and easy
6. No chatter at all--Smooth As Butter
7. Clutch really GRABS--Must Match REV if you want a smooth transition
8. Very Hard to ride the clutch on this setup IMO. Its either pushed in or not....

All in all, everything that Prime Members told me to expect came true.....

I want to thank Mark (Dali) for help with parts and Chris (SOS) review of the clutch...............

P.S. I have to turn TCS off now. For the wheels are spinning...:redface:

Install Took 8 hrs on and off the job.....Bolts were a pain getting back in with 1 person.

Overall I got it for 1/3 the cost. If the RPS has the performance increase without the stiff pedal....All i Can say is wow. But for now its comptech powergrip2

CtSC 350hp 260tq

thanks Chris, I found your post very informative!

I think I have the PG2 in my s2000 right now and love that feel.

The only thing I don't agree is that the RPS has a much stiffer feel when I drove an NSX with it compared to the PG2 in my s2000?

In your statements you said the RPS and Comptech are comparable in feel?

rick

Back