• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech -vs- Science of Speed non-compliance rear beam

For those who have owned the Comptech or Science of Speed non-compliance rear beam and end links, what effects have you noticed from installing these parts?

Also, the Comptech parts look to be more expensive for the same pieces. Is there any advantage to spending the extra money for the Comptech pieces?

Thanks gang! :)

I have the SoS bushings and comptech race toelinks. Unfortunately, I changed many things at once with my car so I can't say exactly what effect it had on handling. In conjuction with everything else I did feel that the car in turn felt crisper and took a "set" quicker. I have noticed that my SoS bushings seem "squeaky". I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

SaberX said:
I have noticed that my SoS bushings seem "squeaky". I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

Quiet as a mouse here. I've only had them in for ~8 mos & ~4k miles though.

I have owned both. They feel the same on the car, but my SOS bushing squeak like mother, the Comptech ones were silent. The Comptechs were also pretty old so they may have just been worn??? The noise is much worse when the weather is wet...

The SOS ones bug me enough I am working on sealed mono ball pivots as a replacement. I will post images when they are done.
Dave

I have the SOS non-Compliance rear beam, toe-links, and front pivot clamps, but I wouldn't expect the Comptechs are much different, non-compliance is non-compliance.

They do squeek, but that's what they make WD-40 for ! A little spray every so often, and they're quiet as a mouse.

They do help the car take a set and reduce the initial turn-in oversteer I was experiencing and also the exit oversteer. Of course, my car is set up to oversteer slightly, as I just can't stand understeer.

But, all in all, they'd be the last things I'd change, do all the other suspension and brake work first, as the difference is very subtle, unless you happen to be Ayrton Senna.

Admittedly, I am not an authority on suspension and am trying to find the most proven route to getting the most reasonable compromise with street driving and race track performance. I had been steered towards these parts, but now I am wondering about their actual impact.

Right now I have Bilstein Sport shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs, and some as yet uninstalled Comptech Sway Bars. Am I even on the right track with this?? :confused:

SKB NSX said:
But, all in all, they'd be the last things I'd change, do all the other suspension and brake work first, as the difference is very subtle, unless you happen to be Ayrton Senna.

There's no difference at all to him, he's dead.

Meeyatch1 said:
Admittedly, I am not an authority on suspension and am trying to find the most proven route to getting the most reasonable compromise with street driving and race track performance. I had been steered towards these parts, but now I am wondering about their actual impact.

Right now I have Bilstein Sport shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs, and some as yet uninstalled Comptech Sway Bars. Am I even on the right track with this?? :confused:
I would do the basic 'track pack' after shocks and springs. Rear beam with bushings, rigid toe links and front compliant joint clamps.

Then do the sways if you want to reduce the body roll. The lower you set the ride height, the less important the sway bars are. If you have the Bilsteins set on the low spring perch you have already lowered the roll center quite significantly which will do a good job of reducing body roll.

titaniumdave said:
I would do the basic 'track pack' after shocks and springs. Rear beam with bushings, rigid toe links and front compliant joint clamps.

Then do the sways if you want to reduce the body roll. The lower you set the ride height, the less important the sway bars are. If you have the Bilsteins set on the low spring perch you have already lowered the roll center quite significantly which will do a good job of reducing body roll.

I cannot have them on their lower perch, because then I cannot get over speed bumps with the Eibach Pro-Kits. Will the higher perch cause problems?

Meeyatch1 said:
I cannot have them on their lower perch, because then I cannot get over speed bumps with the Eibach Pro-Kits. Will the higher perch cause problems?
No problems at all. I just wanted to point out the lower the car sits, the less sway bar it takes to handle body roll. My car sits very low, I love it on the track but can't keep an air dam on the front of it:rolleyes: . I am working on a track only splitter that slides off for street driving, kind of like Kip's Shad special...

Speed bumps suck!

My Comptechs don't sweak. What I noticed most was that in a hard turns, the rear doesn't shift outward slightly since there are no rubber bushings to compress. The rear of the NSX stays in place.

Our bushings don't squeak because there is no movement in the part. If you have movement, then the bushing is not installed properly, and should be inspected.

The squeaks you are hearing are probably from the aftermarket sway bars which use urethane bushings. These do squeak on all bars, especially if the grease is running low.

Comparing the 2 parts, the materials between Comptech and ScienceofSpeed are the same in the non-compliance beams. The toe links actually use higher grade materials (lightweight, more expensive 7000 series aluminum rods & top of the line composite race rod ends).

Both manufacture's parts are good quality. I prefer ours for the price and the lightweight design.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Chris@SoS said:
Our bushings don't squeak because there is no movement in the part. If you have movement, then the bushing is not installed properly, and should be inspected.

The squeaks you are hearing are probably from the aftermarket sway bars which use urethane bushings. These do squeak on all bars, especially if the grease is running low.

Cheers,
-- Chris
Chris,
Please explain how your pivot does not move??? Mine need to rotate so the suspension arms can move.:confused: What is moving?:confused:

Mine squeaks with no rear sway at all, I took the sway off and checked.

titaniumdave said:
Chris,
Please explain how your pivot does not move??? Mine need to rotate so the suspension arms can move.:confused: What is moving?:confused:

Mine squeaks with no rear sway at all, I took the sway off and checked.

Was an answer ever figured out for this question?

So the suspension is prevented from moving up and down with the SOS bushings?...and how can Installation cause noise?...the bushings are pressed into the beam with great force, are you are suspecting that the bushings are rotating in the beam?...I would find that highly unlikely...JZ

SKB NSX said:
I
They do squeek, but that's what they make WD-40 for ! A little spray every so often...

Actually, that's not what they make WD40 for. WD40 was developed after WWII as a rust inhibitor. It is Water Displacement formula 40. it is meant to chase away water and cling to metal to dercrease the chance of rust. Although it does have a lubricating effect, it is very minimal.

Back