• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Computer experts, I need your help

Sad day today, finally made it through a insanely busy week, I was really looking forward to go out and have fun tonight.

Downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 2 a while ago, restarted computer, now the window does not even boot up, just kept on restarting.

When windows xp loads it shows the screen "windows xp home edition"
then the loading bar that is moving, followed with a black screen, while i still see the black screen for a few seconds. Then window just kept on trying to reboot itself.

I have searched on line, a lot of people seems to have experienced similar problem after installing XP service pack 2.

I have tried pressing F8 before the Windows log-on appears and selected Last Known Good Configuration option, didn't work. It does boot up if I run safe mode.

Daedalus said:
If it boots up in safe mode, can you perform a System Restore?
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback, I did performed the stystem restore from the prior date, unfortunately, it did not work.

Last thing I did was enter safe mode and control panel, manually removed the Window XP service pack 2. And restarted the computer, god bless everyone, it worked:biggrin:

I have to rush out and party before the night is over.

SP2 was notorious for having some incompatiblities with older drivers and BIOS. Ensure you have the latest BIOS, and (if it's a pre-built machine) check the manufacturer's website for any information regarding upgrading to SP2. There were so many problems with sp2 compatibility that many vendors have sp2 specific web pages.

If its a custom built pc, check the Motherboard manufacturer's website for any bios or driver updates. Also your video card, sound card, etc..

If you have trouble finding what you need, post your PC specs and we can help you look in the right places.

Good Luck (if you try to do it again!)

-Josh

You will get free support from Microsoft on any issues you have with installing SP2 so go ahead & contact them through their support page.

Vizal said:
Never call MS for support. Waste of time. Quickest and surest way is to move all important file to a slave drive and do a disk format and clean install :biggrin:

If the machine was originally installed with SP1, then the restore disk would only put it back to that state. If you can get a hold of a Windows XP Home SP2 OEM disk, assuming you have a Dell or Gateway or Sony or something, then you can do an install with that and use the product key that came with it. I agree with the above responses, checking for BIOS updates and driver updates may solve your SP2 problem if you don't want to do the install on a new disk.

As a rule of thumb i never update my software, unless i really really need the update, and then, if possible install a complete new version, and dont run a upgrade package.
This keeps my computers running great, without any major trouble.

I see it all the time around me, people installing updates on any program they got on their machine, having to reformat their systems every half year or so.

At me business i have 4 systems on the network running windows 98 (1st ed.!!) for 7 years, without ever have to reinstall anything, except for the 5th one, which was availble for the 'lads' to use.... all sorts of problems on that one.

Back