• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Confirmed: Replacement will be Front Engine setup.

How do I know? Just got the news from my friend (former classmate) who's on the NSX design team. In other words, he's one of the designers working on it. He's down here in the L.A. studio. That's all he's willing to tell. But his coworker (also an automotive designer for Honda) confirmed it, but told me it was pretty damn cool looking.

All in all he's still a little upset over the decision for the placement, but he said: "Well, you make the best of it." I tried convincing him to let me take a peak at some sketches, but that was a no go.:redface: :tongue:

Plus, all he could add to the info was: "Forget all the sketches you've seen floating around the internet" None of them were done in-house.

Well tell your friend they probably will lose some loyal customers from this board.

That's disappointing to hear :(

Ask your friend what happen with the HSC, I can image that Honda would scarp it's design, especially with the money that was invested, sounds like a poser to me :rolleyes:

Am I the only one who think it smells like chicken in here?

I mean we all know those, a friend of a friend who's sister is married to that guy who knows the friend of this guy that got ultra-deep-insider-information, stories.

Don't take this personal Spinner, but I think I just wait for Honda to announce.. not for rumors.

That will be great, a frontengine NSX....LOL!!!

Moves the NSX within 1 second into the supra/350Z categorie (not that an engine layout does that all). Means to me the NSX will be no longer a true exotic. Making the ongoing debate if the current NSX is an exotic easier for the nay sayers.

But then, i dont believe anything which doesnt come directly from Honda, actualy, i only believe what i will see when it is firm. We know Honda.

(Not trying to be disrespectfull to spinner)

I don't care where they put the motor. Just get the car finished and in the showroom.
If they design and deliver a car that's inspiring, innovative, with world class performance and that can stand the test of time like this one, I'll be satisfied and buying.

Did your friend mention if it was going to still be badged as an NSX specifically or just an NSX replacement/successor?

Personally I don't think they should call it an NSX if it's going to be front engine mounted.

Off goes Honda with their tale between their legs. Just like in Formula 1. "We can't compete with F430 or RWD Gallardo, let's target the POS Corvette."

What a bunch of losers.

No offense Spinner, but I have trouble believing that ANYONE in America knows what is happening in the top secret R&D studio in JAPAN.

The NS-X was designed and tested in Japan, by the longest serving and most trusted Japanese designers.

The NSX replacement will also be designed and tested in Japan...

The little design studio in LA whose only responsibility is re-designing tail lights for the cars actually assembled in the US market would not have any input into the design of the Japanese flagship model.

The Japanese would never allow that...

Spinner said:
How do I know? Just got the news from my friend (former classmate) who's on the NSX design team. In other words, he's one of the designers working on it. He's down here in the L.A. studio. That's all he's willing to tell. But his coworker (also an automotive designer for Honda) confirmed it, but told me it was pretty damn cool looking.

All in all he's still a little upset over the decision for the placement, but he said: "Well, you make the best of it." I tried convincing him to let me take a peak at some sketches, but that was a no go.:redface: :tongue:

Plus, all he could add to the info was: "Forget all the sketches you've seen floating around the internet" None of them were done in-house.

I'll take my "confirmation" in the form of a production vehicle on a dealer floor, thanks :). Not that I can afford a new one ;).

rickysals said:
Well tell your friend they probably will lose some loyal customers from this board.

That's disappointing to hear :(

Going to sell your NSX just because you don't like the new one? :confused:

No offense taken guys. The reason the source is legitimate is because I was also the same major as they werre (hence classmates). We all went to Art Center and majored in automotive design. There are only a select few schools for auto design: Art Center (ACCD-Pasadena), Center for Creative Studies (CCS-Detroit), Royal Academy of Arts (UK), Univ. of Arts (Tokyo) are the biggest names....

It's a very small and tight-knit industry. Everyone knows each other type of deal....

And yes, the NSX is being designed here, Japan as well as by other Honda Studios around the world. Doesn't mean they'll use the one done here in L.A. or anything.

What usualy happens is somewhat of a "competition". Toyota's Celica, Honda's Element, hell Mazda's Rx-7 were designed here....Towards the end, the different studios submit their designs to Japan, and what often happens, is they select a few designs and let the main design studio in Japan take over with further refinements. At this point, alot of times the satelitte studios are no longer involved.

There are numerous designs going on for the NSX, but one things sure is that the L.A. studio was commisioned to design the NSX replacement with a front engine lay out. That's all that my two friends could tell me.

IF there is a mid-engine NSX replacement being designed, then it isn't being done in the U.S.

As for the name, at this point, they're not calling it the NSX...alot of times, we have "working titles"...codenames, etc.

Spinner said:
Uhm. Actually he doesn't know I frequent this site, hence the info.:biggrin:

OOORRR, maybe he wants you to believe that he doesn't know that you come to this site but in actuality he does and he's just trying to spread the wrong rumor for the big surprise factor when it comes out. :confused: :biggrin:

Spinner,

You are going to get your friend fired by giving away more and more information about your source. Honda has a very strict policy about this.

The information sounds Legit. Let North America develop the Corvette fighter and let Japan develop the next Mid-engine machine. The Covette figher better not be based off the Accord Platform. :biggrin:

Honda is paranoid as hell about trade secrets, I'm sure they would keep the development of their top line vehicle in Japan.

Spinner said:
No offense taken guys. The reason the source is legitimate is because I was also the same major as they werre (hence classmates). We all went to Art Center and majored in automotive design. There are only a select few schools for auto design: Art Center (ACCD-Pasadena), Center for Creative Studies (CCS-Detroit), Royal Academy of Arts (UK), Univ. of Arts (Tokyo) are the biggest names....

It's a very small and tight-knit industry. Everyone knows each other type of deal....

And yes, the NSX is being designed here, Japan as well as by other Honda Studios around the world. Doesn't mean they'll use the one done here in L.A. or anything.

What usualy happens is somewhat of a "competition". Toyota's Celica, Honda's Element, hell Mazda's Rx-7 were designed here....Towards the end, the different studios submit their designs to Japan, and what often happens, is they select a few designs and let the main design studio in Japan take over with further refinements. At this point, alot of times the satelitte studios are no longer involved.

There are numerous designs going on for the NSX, but one things sure is that the L.A. studio was commisioned to design the NSX replacement with a front engine lay out. That's all that my two friends could tell me.

IF there is a mid-engine NSX replacement being designed, then it isn't being done in the U.S.

As for the name, at this point, they're not calling it the NSX...alot of times, we have "working titles"...codenames, etc.

pbassjo said:
I don't care where they put the motor. Just get the car finished and in the showroom.
If they design and deliver a car that's inspiring, innovative, with world class performance and that can stand the test of time like this one, I'll be satisfied and buying.

werd- but first i would need to figure out where I was getting the money...

Last edited:
"Woodwork" is an Aluminum Engineer at Honda in Torrance and frequents our meetings and host the beach party. He should know something.

Tan

Spinner said:

I think your friend is telling the truth.

It sounds like Honda is looking at many different design options and the LA studio is doing the front engine version. That doesn't mean that mid engine has been abandoned - it's possible that the Japan or other design teams are working on mid-engine versions.

Still on the wrong direction ...

There is one good thing and one bad thing about this new rumour ( supposing it true ):

GOOD

This will assure a skyjumping future NSX value. :smile:

BAD

Honda is again wasting his talent and maybe proving that they are unable to stay in the Ferrari league. :mad:

But for me it is a huge disappointment and a very sad way to conclude the NSX adventure.

I repeat it, my money will go towards a Diablo SE30 ...

Last edited:
mickeylex said:
I think your friend is telling the truth.

It sounds like Honda is looking at many different design options and the LA studio is doing the front engine version. That doesn't mean that mid engine has been abandoned - it's possible that the Japan or other design teams are working on mid-engine versions.

Bingo. As far as what the design studios in Japan or europe are up to, I have no clue. I didn't ask my friend either. All he told me is: "I'm designing the NSX replacement and that it has a Front Engine layout." I couldn't get more out of him, nor did I try and pry too hard :redface: Besides, its not really new information anyways...just reasuring what many have thought to be a possibility.

I can totaly understand those that don't believe it.

simple reiteration...

Mickeylex stated it concisely.

I'd just like to add, the way the original post conveyed the message as well as the title... it was a bit moreso affirmative sensationalism than just a possible allusion.

Better title & clearer message...

_____

icon1.gif
Confirmed: Replacement might be Front Engine setup.

I have a former classmate friend w/ Honda USA who is on a design team for the HSC/ NSX-replacement/ Honda-Acura_Sportscar. He has confirmed to me that they are working on a front-engine design in the studio as'per Honda's request.

There will be various designs/schemes pooled from different Honda design studios of which finally one design will be selected.

So Honda is considering a front-engine setup along w/ other orientations, whether good-or-bad.

_____

Spinner, what you've said is believable... just the way you said is not! :cool:

All I can confirm is that the Honda/Acura sportscar will use engine-oil, have (4) wheels/tires, and cause some sort of controversy(otherwise it wouldn't be a Honda/Acura ;) ).
_________________________________________________________________________________

Re: simple reiteration...

All I can confirm is that the Honda/Acura sportscar will use engine-oil, have (4) wheels/tires, and cause some sort of controversy(otherwise it wouldn't be a Honda/Acura ).

Darn...are we not going to have flying cars from the future yet?:biggrin:

I love your witty remarks:tongue: I think you maybe too intelligent.:smile:

Back