• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Considering an NSX...But used to Muscle Cars

Obviously you're in an NSX forum so you'll get biased remarks because the NSX is truly the best car ever made! :biggrin:

Seriously though. I feel I have some valid comments since I've had muscles cars for a while now but I cycle thru them and yet.. the NSX has never left my possession.

Here are some cars i've owned or have regular access to. I'll try to talk only about feel and performance compared to the NSX. There's a lot of attention, nostalgia, and style that's simply different than the NSX so that will not be mentioned.

1970 SS Chevelle Convertible - I did a frame off resto on one and sold in 2005. 396 Big Block Chevy. It was a boat and only a real man with a huge pair of balls would take this up in the canyons. Fun as hell stop light to stop light though.

1966 Chevelle Malibu - I did the whole pro-touring thing with this car and still currently own it. Spent a shit load of money thinking an old tub could handle like a modern day Camry. It's a 400+hp LS1 fuel injected small block. Its a 3200 lb car with fat tires front and rear. It'll snap your head back but it's a car that will take you for a ride. Strap on and hold on tight.

1996 Viper GT - Stock as stock can be. My stepdad owns this and I drive it once in a while. He also has a V10 Dodge Ram and a Neon SRT-4. See the Chrysler theme? All these cars are viceral and fun but you don't feel at one with it like you do with the NSX. Sitting in this Viper makes the NSX feel 20years newer.

I've also owned a Pantera - bleh.. no comment. Has a lot of style though.

My point is... when I sit in the NSX I immediately feel like i'm a part of the car. It communicates with the driver very well. The steering wheel, the gear shifter, the low driving position, even the visibility is excellent so you dont' really feel inside a cocoon like the Viper. You just feel like you're on top of the road very close to the ground. It's a fantastic and very open feeling. All the cars above are extremely disconnected but still fun in their own way.

The NSX is stock form is sublime. It's my bread n' butter choice for a nice Sunday drive. The NSX boosted is the best of both worlds!!! Next to my suspension and brakes it's the best mod to date.

Last edited:
Buy a 2012 Nissan GTR and you will be completely satisfied. The Nissan GTR is the best car money can buy if you don't want to spend the money on a Ferrari 458 Italia or a Lamborghini LP700 Aventador. A Nissan GTR can outrun 99.9% of the car in the real world. Yet it is low key and can be used as a daily driver. Buy one and you will thank me for the advice.

The NSX along the Lotus Elise/Exige are great cars to own and collect if you are after a pure sports car experience. Modern sports cars are faster yet more watered down and lose some of the sports car charm. Only Italian sports cars deliver the type of performance and sports car feel most enthusiasts love. However, the cost of entry Ferrari / Lamborghini is quite steep now a days. You got to pay to play. Same goes for all good things in life.

Last edited:
To be honest, if you're looking for pure performance, then you should look for at different car. Like you said, 270-290hp isn't really impressive at this time and age; don't get me wrong, the NSX is still a fast car and handles like a dream, but it might be a little weak for your taste. The NSXs holds their value so well is because it's a limited production car (25 cars made per day), not mentioning that each NSX is hand made with precise precision. It's a collectible's car and there are A LOT of great things that makes the NSX a car enthusiast dream car. In my opinion, I would pick the NSX over all the cars you've listed as a option. :smile:

will you be impressed with the NSX? yes.

will it be fast enough for you? probably not.

will you want one? most likely.

Hey! I'm in North jersey, and am very close to NYC. I feel like I am in the same boat as you. I'm in the market for a NSX, but the lack of straight line performance is the only thing steering me away.

I've owned big powered single turboed Supras in the past along with a stock s2000, and I always grab the keys to my S2000 when deciding which car to take out. Power is not everything, but a little extra hp doesn't hurt though i guess :biggrin:

Thanks guys. I am not as tied to horsepower as it sounds. Truth be told, the cars I have loved the most were more "quick" than powerful. I've had a miata, s2000 and sti. All more fun day in and day out than the muscle. How is the nsx steering feel? In the s2000 it was terribly numb.

I'm considering the purchase of an NSX as well, so my advice is just speculation. However, I would imagine steering feel is excellent on the earlier NSX models (pre 1995 manual transmission cars) due to the lack of power steering. Therefore, you wouldn't have to worry about it being too light and having no feedback. I doubt the electric power steering in post 95 models is too light or lacking in feedback, but I haven't actually driven one to be sure.

.......... when I sit in the NSX I immediately feel like i'm a part of the car. It communicates with the driver very well. The steering wheel, the gear shifter, the low driving position..... You just feel like you're on top of the road very close to the ground. It's a fantastic and very open feeling. All the cars above are extremely disconnected but still fun in their own way.

The NSX is stock form is sublime. It's my bread n' butter choice for a nice Sunday drive. The NSX boosted is the best of both worlds!!! Next to my suspension and brakes it's the best mod to date.

I agree. Ever drive a FD?

Same deal here. At Mazda it's part of their "Kansei" engineering principles where the car and driver feels as one.

FD LXs is a very good option for the OP.

Compared to the cars in your list, the NSX is 'slow'. That being said, it's plenty fast enough to get you in lots of trouble on the street. I personally prefer a car I can wring out a little - try wringing out a new GT500 or Viper on the street and you'll probably end up arrested :)

I work 10 blocks north of you, where you planning to park your new car? If it were me and the car would be driven extensively in NYC, I would get a car that I wouldn't worry about when I hit that huge pothole or that cab rubs up against me.

However, one thing that I'm worried about is bang for the buck. Also, what year NSX is the best to buy? Thanks guys...

If your concerned about performance "bang for the buck", I feel the NSX is not for you. I have owned many MuscleCars as well and its taken me time to appreciate the complete package the NSX offers.

Regarding your question on steering, NSX ('95-'05) & S2000 have Electric Power Steering assist. If you enjoyed the steering experience on your S2000, you will love the NSX however I personally prefer manual steering ('91-'94).

What performance vehicle are you looking for (straight line, track or both)?

Based upon your criteria you have listed, you should look at 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 :wink:

Back