• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Console re-work for after-market head

I recently completed a console rework for a 'Prime member & decided to photo-document the process for the benefit of those who might be considering similar project.

(all thumbnails are clickable links to larger pics)

Start with the material list-
you'll need a thin sheet of plastic for initial backing - something soft, machinable like an ABS style compound is best, nothing too brittle. I got an off-cut from Tap Plastics.
Two kinds of Bondo - I prefer the chopped glass reinforced Bondo-Glass for the main structural integrity with Bondo Ultimate for the fine surface finish.
A good sanding block & various grades of production paper for sanding to a fine finish.
Primer - I like the high-build Filler Primer formula as it will fill minor (I stress minor!) surface imperfections nicely after cut back with sanding. You can also fill pin-holes with Bondo Glazing & Spot putty.

For tools, a Dremel is useful for the initial cutting and I suppose could be used to cut the slot, but I prefer to use my router table for a perfect replica of the required cut-out.

Remove the console from the vehicle & dis-assemble all the attached parts - ash-tray, shift boot, aspirator fan & coin tray.

First step in prepping the console is to strip off the metal foil cladding over the top half of the console, stopping at the sides of the ash-tray. This is achieved by just picking at the edge with an exacto or Stanley knife & peeling off in strips. Just be careful not to gouge into the surface of the plastic, although you can repair anything you damage in the refinishing process.
This image shows the console with the foil stripped off the top section - don;t worry about the cassette area, that will be getting cut off anyway.

Next, cut out the section that was previously between the cassette & radio apertures and trim the aperture to beyond where your new slot will be. You will want to be cutting your new slot into the bondo, not original plastic so ensure you cut enough of original material away. In this case it was a single din head - if you are going full double din, you can also remove the lower plastic tabs to leave a full square slot if desired.

Now flip the console over so the back side is up.
Cut the backing plastic to size to fit between the two horizontal bars at the ashtray and the A/C module references. Test fit for size. I found an angle of 5 deg on my mitre saw was perfect to match the angle of the sides.

Mix up your Bondo-glass with the correct amount of hardener and spread it liberally like peanut butter onto the face of your backing plate. Now press it onto the back side of your console & squeeze out the excess around the sides & the top side. You can use a plastic spatula to give a rough surface maybe slightly below the top surface originally.
Tip - You will find it easy to trim off large excess with your Stanley knife before it's set really hard, at a rubbery intermediate stage.

Then you can sand off any seriously high spots and fill the top side with the Bondo ultimate. Repeat the sand/fill process till you are happy with finish. You'll want to use a sanding block to give a really smooth planar surface. Start with the rougher grits & get progressively finer. The Bondo Ultimate is so fine, you can use it as a fine-surface filler and achieve a perfect finish even without use of the spot/glazing putty. You will want to feather the edge of your foil section on the sides of the ash-tray to give a nice smooth transition.

Finish up with several coats of the Filler-Primer & sand with your block again - you'll be using the finer grits of paper now. Your aim is to end up with a nice flat solid surface into which you'll cut your slot to match your head-unit.

I prepared a template by gluing the trim-ring for the head-unit onto a piece of MDF; then I use a pattern bit to cut out the shape of the trim-ring onto the MDF below. Finally I remedy any minor imperfections in that template & transfer to a new stand-alone template, again using the bearing-following pattern bit to perfectly replicate the trim-ring cut-out.

You need to build up a frame to allow the console to move perfectly parallel to the table. I stick the pattern to the console with double sided tape.

Drill a couple of large holes in the centre where the slot will go & then use the cutter to follow the template & cut your slot. I then invert the console & cut a radius on the edge with a round-over bit.

Then another light sanding & finish up with another few coats of the filler-primer and associated sandings around the cut-edge and then finish the whole thing with a regular sanding primer.

Back side:

Of course you get the best look by matching the ash-tray cover & the grille surround to match. It's a relatively easy process to remove the grille to separate from the surround to get a neat contrasting finish.
And the final article, after finish paint & installation, looks like this:

Last edited:
what an amazing job there !!!! I only wish I had the talent, time, knowledge, etc. to pull off something like that. I am currently trying to decide which a/m center console I want to get to accomodate an a/m head unit.
My main concern is that with almost all head units, with the way the dash is angled up, is that the display will be washed out in sunlight.
Have any opinions or suggestions about how to deal with that?

92NSX said:
...My main concern is that with almost all head units, with the way the dash is angled up, is that the display will be washed out in sunlight.
Have any opinions or suggestions about how to deal with that?
Well, as far as the display itself goes, you could build up a profile to orient the fascia more vertically (at least lesser angle) - the problem however is with a double din head unit, will be having enough space to actually mount the head at a differnt angle to the "normal" fascia - by trying to make a different angle on the face, that will make the back of the head unit "raise up" and interfere with the A/C module.
My guess is you can't change the mounting angle because of this, regardless of whether you can make a neat projection on the front.

Attachments

• console.JPG
    console.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 852
I plan on having a single DIN head unit there. It seems like everyone that I read about online, people complain about the displays not being bright enough. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to see on our cars. :rolleyes:

92NSX said:
I plan on having a single DIN head unit there. It seems like everyone that I read about online, people complain about the displays not being bright enough. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to see on our cars. :rolleyes:
I honestly don't think you'll have any problem with a single din and the normal display - I thought you were talking about a full 2DIN LCD graphics display for DVD or Nav. I think it is that type of display most are referring to when you read these comments.
Now you could do what I suggested mounting the head a little lower to accommodate the angle (actually more central in the space anyway) and have someone mould or plastic weld a fascia extension to have it end up more upright but I really think it is fine the way it is.

Actually my Alpine face can tilt at push of button to 4 different angles anyway - unfortunately they all go more horizontal than vertical! (this would be fine if it was already installed in a perfectly vertical orientation originally)

D'Ecosse said:
I honestly don't think you'll have any problem with a single din and the normal display - I thought you were talking about a full 2DIN LCD graphics display for DVD or Nav. I think it is that type of display most are referring to when you read these comments.
Now you could do what I suggested mounting the head a little lower to accommodate the angle (actually more central in the space anyway) and have someone mould or plastic weld a fascia extension to have it end up more upright but I really think it is fine the way it is.

Actually my Alpine face can tilt at push of button to 4 different angles anyway - unfortunately they all go more horizontal than vertical! (this would be fine if it was already installed in a perfectly vertical orientation originally)

I have been leaning toward a Sony unit for it. I have always had good luck with that product in the past. Since I don't spend a lot of time in the car to begin with, I don't want to spend a lot of $$ on the head unit. I have found a good selection in the price range ($250-$400) that I really like. Luckily found a local store that carried all of the brands on hand and I got to look at them side by side. Good thing, because I would've ended up with a Kenwood unit that I didn't like at all once I saw it in person. That is when I saw a Sony that caught my eye. Was aluminum in color that I thought would clash with the rest of the interior but have since found that they offer the same one with a black finish instead. :smile:
I know what you mean about the different angles of viewing. Sadly, we have the problem of the angle of the dash to contend with.

Check out these pictures of my former unit - I had no problems seeing the graphics on this even in normal orientation.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=185630&postcount=21

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=185636&postcount=22

Note that this was an SOS console - if I were to use one of those again I would make it thicker by similar method to ny project above, except filling from the back - a thicker substrate gives a nicer profile edge to the slot matching up better with the A/C slot. The method of cutting slot was identical. At least using the SOS you start out with a planar face which saves a lot of work & sanding!

so you used a SOS console for your car? I'm debating on which one(SOS or Dali) to get right now. My concerns with both are the slots for the a/c aspirator fan and the bracketry for the mounting of shift boot.
How did you address those issues?
Did you use a metal strap or something like that to secure the head unit to the dash?

92NSX said:
so you used a SOS console for your car? I'm debating on which one(SOS or Dali) to get right now. My concerns with both are the slots for the a/c aspirator fan and the bracketry for the mounting of shift boot.
How did you address those issues?
Did you use a metal strap or something like that to secure the head unit to the dash?
I understand SOS is no longer supplying theirs.
My current set-up is using OEM modded as per the theme of this thread (which is getting way off topic!)
However, to continue to answer your questions (which are all good for anyone tackling after-market install) - when I originally used the SOS one per the pics linked in my last post, (that console was subsequently sold-on, complete with head unit) it came with a kit of teflon stanchions that you epoxy onto the back of the new console. The best method is to screw the stanchions onto the components (ash-tray, aspirator, shift boot - coin tray is deleted) then line up the stanchions with the parts into position, clamp & epoxy in place. I have to be honest that this is a cumbersome procedure to get it all lined up perfectly - one of main reasons I prefer to mod the OEM one.
For the head unit mounting, I fabricated a bracket to hold the head-unit cage and mounted using the original head unit lower mounting screw-holes. That is also how we mounted the one in the red console above.
Note that it's important to have some vertical adjustment in the bracket to get perfect alignment of the head to the slot.

Attachments

• bracket 002.jpg
    bracket 002.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,514
Nice write up and I must add... perfect timing. I will be doing this very thing this coming week. Thanks for all the advice and knowledge for us beginners.

well if SOS doesn't offer them, not doubting your word, I wonder why they still have them on their web site?? :confused:
Guess that might force me to go with Dali then. Was leaning that way anyway, so I reckon the choice has been made for me. Then again, I could just leave the OEM head unit in there and be happy with that. It play CD's thru the changer and gets great reception anyway. Decisions, decisions. :redface:

92NSX said:
well if SOS doesn't offer them, not doubting your word, I wonder why they still have them on their web site??
Please confirm with SOS - this is second-hand info I heard.
The console that is the basis for this thread is for a member who needed a solution after being informed that SOS is no longer available; I received a subsequent inquiry from anotherr individual after similar reply that it was no longer obtainable.

Well you did an outstanding job on that console. Very good write up and I might have to refer back to it in the future if I decide to tackle something like that.

Sir-

As always, YOU ARE THE MAN..when it comes to this type of fabrication..I would love to send you MY pieces and doing the same exact thing with the red paint as this is exactly what I need done...Or I can pay for YOUR PIECES and trade my OEM one (with CF trim :mad: :frown: attached to it.)..Lemme know sir if this is feasable.

Thanks
Mike

SINCITY_NSX said:
What did you use to remove the old paint and foil off the console?
I don't remove the paint - just a light sand to prep for primer on the areas that aren't removed. The foil just peels off. You need to keep picking at it - raise an edge with a blade then just peel off as big a strip as you can without breaking it - like wallpaper removal. Tedious but better in the end.

Nice work, who painted it? Looks like a professional paint job.

Regarding changing the angle of double DIN units, there is a little play you have if both the top and bottom bracket of the stereo area is left. You can cut off the top bracket to squish the stereo up closer to the climate control if you want to keep your ash tray.

If you want to junk the ash tray and change the angle of a double DIN unit, you can cut off part of the lower bracket.

Good choice also on the Bondo Glass. If you are filling in a large fairly thin void like that then it's definitely the material of choice. I haven't played with the Bondo Glass but it looks like the equivalent of Kitty Hair.

D'Ecosse,
OK, now you have truely shown us you are "THE MAN" when it comes to outstandoing work.. but us poor fools in So.Cal. wanna know...how can we get you to do this for us?? perhaps a plane ticket down here, a nice room in Santa Barbara for a weekend and more liquid encouragement than is needed...
help us Obi-Wan ,you're our only hope.... :biggrin:

LOL - thanks for comps VespaBob (love your S/N btw!)

Oh, it's much easier than that - just remove your console, stick it in a box (but make sure it is securely packed against breakage - I find the best stuffing is actually $US bills for this purpose!) and mail it to me - the ammount of "stuffing" you put in there will determine on whether it comes back to you or not......

laugh.gif

it's on the way......good thing i had a good supply of leftover Lira to use as packing material :biggrin:
but really seriously..is there anyway you do this for others? or is it just for personal fun. if no, can recommend someone down here who has similar talent..it's just so super clean and exactly what i need now.. any intrest in a new Vespa?? :rolleyes:

If no one decides to provide this service, don't rule out your local high end audio shop. Good car audio shops do this stuff all the time. SoCal has a ton of great shops you can go to. Speakerworks, Competition Soundworks, West Coast Customs, 310 Motoring, etc. These are shops that are the best in the business and a small item like this is a piece of cake. You would be blown away if you'd see some of the stuff that comes out of the Holdaway's shop Speakerworks. They do it for a living.

The DIY will help anyone with the desire and skill to do the work. It's time consuming to finish it nicely and somebody on Prime could probably earn a decent side of cash customizing trim panels on here. But it gets old and tedious real fast and something like this is difficult to do right w/o completing the installation of the deck in the car.

in SB there are NO local high end shops..i stopped by 2 yesterday and one said it was no problem ..he's worked on those Nissan NSXs before..and the other said easy..until he looked at the console and said .."oh,that's gonna be expensive" . price is not too much of an issue..i just want it done right !
so who's the best in So Cal.???

vespabob said:
in SB there are NO local high end shops..i stopped by 2 yesterday and one said it was no problem ..he's worked on those Nissan NSXs before..and the other said easy..until he looked at the console and said .."oh,that's gonna be expensive" . price is not too much of an issue..i just want it done right !
so who's the best in So Cal.???

Haha, it's you spoiled rich folk in SB that don't buy aftermarket stereos that keeps the good shops from showing up.

The best IMO is Speakerworks in Orange. They are probably the winningest shop in IASCA competitions. I've decks that Pat Holdaway custom mounted that you could literally stand on they were so strong and the craftsmanship was impeccable. When you walk in, you will see their trophy room and their installation area spans several suites in an industrial park. It's a bit of a drive but worth it.

Most of the good shops are in and around the OC area. I think the only competitive shop out in your area is Breakers Mobile.

Back