• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Convert a 180MPH cluster to 280KPH ! Possible?

I've been searching the earth for a 280KPH speedo cluster to no avail. I can get a MPH one easily though .

I know Procar etc does NSX-R overlays for these, but does anyone do the stock speedo face ?

So basically I'm looking for an economical way of converting the speedo from this
DSC03854.jpg

To This

DSC03406.jpg

Cheers

I've been searching the earth for a 280KPH speedo cluster to no avail. I can get a MPH one easily though .

I know Procar etc does NSX-R overlays for these, but does anyone do the stock speedo face ?

So basically I'm looking for an economical way of converting the speedo from this
DSC03854.jpg

To This

DSC03406.jpg

Cheers
Yes you can swap it over just swap the complete speedo assembly.

13SL00_005_9.gif

Thanks , but where would one aquire the speedo unit ?? seems rare .

Cheers
I thought you already head a KM/H unit, those are rare and expensive.
I don't think i have those used in stock any more i'd need to check but i recall only having MPH units left.

Where'd you find NSX-R overlays? Only hits I get on them are old threads on NSX prime.
I found nothing at all on Procar's website.

Ack, I was hoping it'd be a much cheaper alternative.

well I have a guy that can silk screen anything you want onto the cluster
exactly like OEM

I am having him do my 92 soon. just made this new contact today.

he does it by hand and has been doing this for years for old speedo's for Ferrari's etc. for my buddies shop Extreme Motor cars.

I want the redline to say 10 and the speed to say 200mph.

and maybe add some stuff of my own creation.

I thought you already head a KM/H unit, those are rare and expensive.
I don't think i have those used in stock any more i'd need to check but i recall only having MPH units left.

I Have a KPH unit but its JDM so 180 KPH, I am able to get a 180 MPH and thats what I want to convert with an overlay of some sort as the needle will already be correct .

well I have a guy that can silk screen anything you want onto the cluster
exactly like OEM

I am having him do my 92 soon. just made this new contact today.

he does it by hand and has been doing this for years for old speedo's for Ferrari's etc. for my buddies shop Extreme Motor cars.

I want the redline to say 10 and the speed to say 200mph.

and maybe add some stuff of my own creation.

Sounds interesting, let me know how this goes .

I want that !!!!

without the MPH in the middle :smile:

My car's Canadian :wink:. You're gonna want the Mph in the middle though, how else are you gonna know how fast you're going?

Edit: I didn't even realize the cluster you posted didn't have the MPH in the middle.

Last edited:
I want that !!!!

without the MPH in the middle :smile:

Those are the clusters that we have here in Canada. We still have the mile per hour thing in the middle because when we converted to the Metric system in the late seventies, most of us older folk who grew up in the Imperial system are still trying to convert kpm to mph. It probably wouldn't be that hard to cover the mph with some sort of overlay. At present, I am unaware of any wrecked NSX's in Canada, but I'm sure they must exist.

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI

My car's Canadian :wink:. You're gonna want the Mph in the middle though, how else are you gonna know how fast you're going?

Edit: I didn't even realize the cluster you posted didn't have the MPH in the middle.

The Australian delivered never had the MPH in the middle as we are an advanced metric society :biggrin:

What year is your NSX? OBDI or OBDII?

Am I correct that you are trying to convert a AUTOmatic NSX dash to a MANUAL gearbox km/hour dash?

AFAIK, this is not going to work. You will need an AUTOdash for the km/hour I think.

Am I correct that you are trying to convert a AUTOmatic NSX dash to a MANUAL gearbox km/hour dash?

AFAIK, this is not going to work. You will need an AUTOdash for the km/hour I think.
I do recall AT/MT clusters being interchangeable as the sensor input is the same although iirc the redline will be wrong and the Christmas three won't have any function, other than to mod it into a shift indicator.

The Australian delivered never had the MPH in the middle as we are an advanced metric society :biggrin:
I know years back GruppeM did have a conversion service to convert to 180 km/h to a 300 or 320 km/h dash it looked very OEM, Spoon did it as well in the back in the 90's although not as clean looking as GruppeM,

I recall only ever seeing a Spoon speedo twice.

Looks like you won't be able to just change the face, you'll probably need the electronics to go with it. The USDM & JDM speeds don't conincide with the same locations on the gauge itself.

Take the following positions for example:
9 o'clock = 45mph (72kph) on USDM vs 60kph on CDM
12 o'clock = 110mph (177kph) on USDM vs 160kph on CDM
3 o'clock = 175 mph (281kph) on USDM vs 255kph on CDM

So if you just swapped the faces, your speedo would be considerably off..

Hi,

i think that the OP needs the speedo AND de back electronic plaque (plate ?!)... there are 2 big ones with an odd shape: one where the speedo, volt and fuel gauges screw in, and the other where tacho, water temp and oil presure screw...

Thanks,
Nuno

PS - Procar talked about this when US guys want to install OEM NSX-R 300mk/h gauges

Thanks,
Nuno

Back