• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Coolant bottle

Any one have a good used coolant bottle or know where I can get one for cheap? Was thinking about just sealing my cracked bottle with some silicon. Any done this before? And how did it turn out?

You are better off replacing with the new one. I had to replace mine at about 55k miles. Luckily for me, it happened in the parking lot in front of my office (not on freeway). I noticed a puddle of coolant under my car and found a hairline cracks around my bottle near the mounting bracket. So I had to pickup the tank from the dealer by my work (lucky again for me, they had it in-stock) and intalled it like in 30 min. I don't know what year is your car, but the coolant bottles on the earlier cars are pretty much ready to give in anytime soon.

I believe sealing it with the silicon is not a proper way to go. Get the OEM bottle for about $90 or spend little more and get the cool alu. Dali bottle. I think it costs around $175. I did not have this option since I had to change mine on the spot.

I had also inspected couple of my friends car and noticed as slight hairline cracks as well. They went ahead and changed the bottle as a preventitive maintenance. And if anyone notices this on your car, it might me good time to change it now. Otherwise you might have to get it towed if it happens on the freeway and deal with the other headaches involved.

Jay

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited 05 July 2000).]

Originally posted by 19inchNSX:
Any one have a good used coolant bottle or know where I can get one for cheap? Was thinking about just sealing my cracked bottle with some silicon.

Trying to repair a cracking bottle with silicone is just asking for problems. Buying a used one isn't much better.

Replace it with a new one, either OEM or aftermarket. The aftermarket ones are metal and won't crack like the OEM plastic eventually does.

I am a bit confused. It was mentioned that the dealership wanted 108 for the bottle. This may not have to do so much with the coolant bottle as it has to do with dealerships but it was my understanding that dealership's had sort of a joint price list for parts. I've heard several of you mention shopping other dealerships for OEM parts. I'm going to assume that my belief that all dealerships are the same is wrong.
I've also heard the name "Tracy" at Acura bandied about. Can anyone fill me in or point me in the right direction?

Originally posted by Edo:
it was my understanding that dealership's had sort of a joint price list for parts. I've heard several of you mention shopping other dealerships for OEM parts. I'm going to assume that my belief that all dealerships are the same is wrong.

Acura has a suggested retail price for every part. The MSRP typically includes a pretty good markup. Most dealers charge full retail amount or very close to it. Some dealers charge less, particularly via mail-order.

I've also heard the name "Tracy" at Acura bandied about. Can anyone fill me in or point me in the right direction?

Tracy Townsend is the parts manager at Gunn Acura and sells parts for a pretty good discount. Full contact info is in the Company Directory part of the FAQ http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/companydirectory.htm

Other well known sources for OEM parts via mail order can be found at http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/discountparts.htm

Back