• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

cost to own and maintain an NSX

Dan

Registered Member
cost to own and maintain an NSX

Hi Do any long term NSX owners know if its
expensive to maintain and service their cars
more so than a normal japan made sedan, camry, honda? Thanks Dan

NSXotic is your car Spa Yellow or has it been repainted. I'm going to Montreal tommorrow to look at a 97 Spa Yellow but from the pictures it look alot darker shade of yellow than yours. Personally I like your shade of yellow better.(unless its the lighting)

In my experience, the cost of maintenance is higher than your typical Honda. I've owned a 3G Prelude for many years, so I believe I am qualified to make this claim.

Costs for me thus far are (1 year of ownership):

Oil Changes (3 so far) = ~$100 each time(someone else does it for me + Mobile 1 synthetic -- dealerships here in No. Cal charge about the same)

Timing Belt/Valve Adjustment/Alignment = ~$1100

And also, keep in mind you need to use premium fuel. I get about 21-23MPG which I believe is typical.

When it comes time to change tires, that will cost you too. Probably about 1K per set and you will probably need to change them every 7-15K miles depending on the tires you use; so I've been told. There are 16K miles on my current set, and it still looks like there is plenty of tread left. I am running on Dunlop SP9000s with the stock 94' alignment settings.

I use Don at Hilltop Auto here in the Bay Area. I think his service charges are quite reasonable compared to the Acura dealerships in the area and he knows what he is doing. Thus, I don't think my maintenance costs so far are unreasonable.

[This message has been edited by hyuan (edited 16 May 2002).]

Originally posted by NSX2NV:
NSXotic is your car Spa Yellow or has it been repainted. I'm going to Montreal tommorrow to look at a 97 Spa Yellow but from the pictures it look alot darker shade of yellow than yours. Personally I like your shade of yellow better.(unless its the lighting)

It is Spa Yellow Pearl from the factory. Pictures do not capture this color.... Wait until you see it in the sun; you're going to fall in love and buy it on the spot.

If the car was taken care of it will have very few problems. However, don't go into it thinking it will be very cheap to maintain.
Parts for the car are very expensive and if something DOES break, the parts and labor will not be cheap. If you run a less expensive brand like Kumho tires, that cost is very small. Many of us do this on the street and change to more expensive tires for events.
Search the FAQ and look up some maintenance costs. Certain intervals are quite expensive such as the timing belt and water pump service.

We don't want to scare you away from an NSX. It's extremely reliable and ajoy to own. Just remember that if and when a repair or service does arrive, parts and labor will be more than your average sedan. However, for an exotic it could be considered cheap. Parts and labor is nowhere near the overinflated costs for a Ferrari. A used NSX is THE most reasonable exotic to own, but still more expensive than your average sedan.
Make sure to check insurance rates as well.

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 16 May 2002).]

Originally posted by hyuan:
Oil Changes (3 so far) = ~$100 each time(someone else does it for me + Mobile 1 synthetic -- dealerships here in No. Cal charge about the same)

eek.gif

Most places around here charge around $50 for an oil and filter change using full synthetic oil.

100 bux for oil change?? I think I paid about $40-50 last time. $20 for Mobil 1 synthetic(3 bux/quart at Target) and another $20 for labor. You are getting ripped...

Originally posted by 5inchfatlip:
I plan to do my oil changes on my own soon..it can't be that hard.. is it???

It's messy, but it's not difficult at all.

You'll need some basic tools. Also a good place to work on your car. A good jack and jack stands. And the container to take your old oil in to be recycled.

If you expect to be doing more work on your car yourself, the service manual is also a wise investment.

In the NSX FAQ, check out two of the sections listed under "Do It Yourself" - "Wrenching Basics" and "Engine Oil Change".

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 19 May 2002).]

Back