• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Crush washer for oil filter

What is the part number of this oil filter crush washer that was mentioned in FAQ section? Is it a special type washer or any ordinary aluminum washer will do?

Thanks guys. Just went to local Acura and picked up a handful of washer. $0.27 each; was I a big spender or not !

I can't believe the dealer charged you for them!

In case anyone missed this in an earlier thread, I installed a Fumoto Valve. Oil changes are now much quicker a lot less messy. The thing is a "must have" mod in my opinion. The correct part number to order is F-106.

Valve.gif
valve2.JPG

I like to buy them (yes, my dealer charges a huge :D amount for them) when I buy my oil filters. I then tape a washer to each oil filter so I have it handy when I need it.

dang.. i was going to buy but I saw this disclaimer:

WARNING!
# Some oil pans are designed with recessed drain plug port. If part of the valve hits the oil pan before it could be fully tightened DO NOT install the valve! Adapters are available for some models(F-104, F-106, F-107 & F-109).
# N-type valve(with Nipple) is not recommended for passenger cars with low ground clearance.

since i track mine I'd probably rip it right out.. :(

x

It was/is my judgement that it does not pose this risk. I saw the disclaimer and looked carefully as and after I installed it. And just went and looked again now. It is not the lowest point, and while I know there are ways of hitting the not lowest point, I cannot imagine hitting this. I cannot be sure just looking, but I think it does not stick below the oil pan.

neilh said:
It was/is my judgement that it does not pose this risk. I saw the disclaimer and looked carefully as and after I installed it. And just went and looked again now. It is not the lowest point, and while I know there are ways of hitting the not lowest point, I cannot imagine hitting this. I cannot be sure just looking, but I think it does not stick below the oil pan.

Is there any way you can can take a picture of the undercarrage of your car?

Just curious.

thanks,
xavier

Here is a cleaner and easier option to go, TEMPO Oil Extractor , sold on Amazon site for $44.99. It siphons oil through engine dip stick tube and is very efficient. I read somewhere that it actually extract a bit more oil than just draining. Don't have to get under your car, risking oil spillage or staining undercarriage.

nsxtasy said:
I like to buy them (yes, my dealer charges a huge :D amount for them) when I buy my oil filters. I then tape a washer to each oil filter so I have it handy when I need it.

Quick word of caution - not so much for you since it sounds like you have been doing this without problem... But for others.... if you tape your washer to the filter make sure you use a tape that will not leave any little pieces of tape or residue when you remove it. If a little bit of tape gets left on the washer you can end up with a very slow and annoying leak from the drain plug. I learned this the hard way. Check the washer before you install and use alcohol to remove any tape or residue. :smile:

icefire said:
Here is a cleaner and easier option to go, TEMPO Oil Extractor , sold on Amazon site for $44.99. It siphons oil through engine dip stick tube and is very efficient. I read somewhere that it actually extract a bit more oil than just draining. Don't have to get under your car, risking oil spillage or staining undercarriage.
That has little or no bearing on whether you get oil on the undercarriage. On an NSX, the real opportunity to do that comes when you change the filter.

nsxtasy said:

When I buy my oil filters my dealer gives me a free crush washer and tapes it to the filter for me. Maybe the parts guy has a "crush" on me! :biggrin:

I'm starting a little collection since I have no need for them thanks to Mr. Fumoto.

godspeed01 said:
You dont need to change it at all.
This is terrible advice. Re-used crush washers can indeed leak.

Splurge ;) and spend the 27 cents (if your dealer charges you for it) to change the crush washer.

godspeed01 said:
The crush washer is a hox.

Yes you can get away with not changing the crush washer. I did it on the wife’s 87 CRX well it’s the EX wife now. After a couple dozen oil changes it got so crushed it was almost impossible to get it off the drain plug. 27 cents is not a lot of money. Most people have at least 10 times that amount of money in change rattling around in their pockets.

Briank said:
27 cents is not a lot of money.
If you own your NSX for ten years, and get your oil changed three times a year, that's over eight dollars during that ten-year period!!! :eek: That's almost as much as it costs to buy three gallons of gas! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The crush washer is a hox.

You dont need to change it at all. Changed oil in ..... all 7 of my previous cars, civics, supras, nsx, del sol, mr2.... with out replacing any of the washers.

Just make sure it is tight. There is no way for oil to leak out.

To resurrect an oldie...I'm shooting from the hip here and using old fashioned mechanical common sense but aren't there a few big reasons to use one? To help compensate for any irregularities since the washer is probably a softer metal than the plug and/or pan and then get better overall bearing loading....to seat the plug properly since the required torqueing was most likely established with a crush washer... Assuming the crush washer deforms even if imperceptibly to the naked steaming eye and it sees some work hardening, it seems like you'd definitely not want to reuse one. Or you could get away with reusing one (or not using one) just like you could possibly go 15 years on a timing belt but that'd be up to how lucky you feel!

I bought some oil filters that are supposedly the same as the original OEM and I forget if they came with crush washers...time to find out when I get home since it's oil changing time next week.

Trivia Monday - without googling, did anyone catch my Diamond Dave reference up there?

To resurrect an oldie...I'm shooting from the hip here and using old fashioned mechanical common sense but aren't there a few big reasons to use one?
Yes, absolutely. And the only reason not to use one is to save a big whopping 27 cents for each one. And you may not even have to pay that. Last month I realized I had a couple of oil filters that I hadn't purchased crush washers for. I walked into my local Honda car dealer parts department and he handed me two of them without charging me anything for them.

Seriously, there is every reason to use them and no reason not to use them.

Back