• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

CTSC with stock NA2 headers?

My NSX has a CTSC (whipple), RM Racing Exhaust and stock NA2 headers. Not sure why the original owner didn't just get aftermarket headers. Is it detrimental in any way if I continue using the stock NA2 headers?

Eventually I do plan to get CT Headers and I've heard they should add about 18rwhp to my current setup?

My NSX has a CTSC (whipple), RM Racing Exhaust and stock NA2 headers. Not sure why the original owner didn't just get aftermarket headers. Is it detrimental in any way if I continue using the stock NA2 headers?

Maybe he didn't want to part with his $1500, that would be my guess. I don't think it is detrimental to leave 10hp on the table.

stock NA2 headers are very efficient so no. I had CTSC on NA2 headers, then installed Cantrell headers and didnt notice anything big. Maybe a small bump but it could of been in my head. Honestly, if you have money to spend on little power improvement (if any, compared to NA2 header) then sure.

My advice? Leave NA2 header there, its a good factory header.

Well thats a relief! Looks like I'll be leaving the NA2 headers on for a while.

So I'll only see ~10 hp increase if I upgrade to the CT headers? I thought it would be more than that. Would it change the sound?

I believe theres been a comparison done between the 2 headers already. If memory serves me, it was close race. At least not enough to part with your money.

So I'll only see ~10 hp increase if I upgrade to the CT headers? I thought it would be more than that. Would it change the sound?

If you had the older cast manifold headers then you would notice a huuuuuge difference. Since NA2 headers are actually tubular headers that raises flow there would be no real gain on going aftermarket.

what I would suggest that would bring a big smile to your face for much less money is some resonated test pipes (or regular if you want it LOUD).

Any thoughts on what resonators to use in the test pipes?

well I used Angus Resonated Test pipes. He is a vendor here. I forgot how much I paid but they were in the range of $450'ish?

I went with him because he gets good reviews, is a good vendor and you dont get a CEL since he has anti foulers built in.

Any increase in power? More importantly, any increase in drone on the highway?

My guess is you MIGHT pick up 3-5HP. If you look at what people pick up from just swapping HA2 headers on NA1, its about the same gain as going aftermarket.

Not worth it.

If you continue using a CTSC on NA2 headers, your car will blow up. Hurry up and sell that CTSC to me so you can get some sleep tonight :biggrin:

On a more serious note, you can consider the VVIS delete or test pipes as other suggested for a few more ponies.

Any increase in power? More importantly, any increase in drone on the highway?
I'm running Prospeeds 200cell HF cats. I probably did'nt pickup much HP, sound is slightly increased {no drone} but the difference in size/weight compared to stock cats was the selling point for me. I like TP's but not the smell, and I was constantly having to wax the smut from my rear bumper.

I've always wondered about the design of any of the aftermarket headers with respect to their appropriateness for an SC'd car.

With SC applications, you want at least 1/8" larger primaries (diameter-wise), and shorter tubes (get to the collector quicker).

So, to have an "off-the-shelf" NA application used for SC applications is probably not the best option, but at the same time there is probably not enough money in it to come up with a SC only design/application.

I've always wondered about the design of any of the aftermarket headers with respect to their appropriateness for an SC'd car.

With SC applications, you want at least 1/8" larger primaries (diameter-wise), and shorter tubes (get to the collector quicker).

So, to have an "off-the-shelf" NA application used for SC applications is probably not the best option, but at the same time there is probably not enough money in it to come up with a SC only design/application.

Cody made special headers for his turbo kit and picked up a good amount of power I think.

There is a more in-depth discussion on headers and exhaust systems here.

1. CTSC and header options
2. Exhaust Design: Firing order considerations

I'm in the process of building my exhaust system now and the only off-the-shelf piece will be the Comptech headers. Phase 2, when timing permits, my fabricator and I will find a way to incorporate some of the ideas pioneered by companies like Hytech. This will be when I go back to NA at some point. If you're SC, diameter size is still king.

This has been one of my most exciting projects to date with this car :)

I'm a firm believer that the entire NSX exhaust system needs to be gutted and tossed.

Cody made special headers for his turbo kit and picked up a good amount of power I think.
Turbo vs. SC are two completely different animals in terms of exhaust systems

Last edited:
Back