• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Current 16" and 17" tire choices

Curiously the dealer has offered to put fresh tires on the car. No specifics but he said that he thought they had the "exact ones." I'm skeptical. It is a McLaren dealer so I doubt they stock a large selection of 16 or 17 inch tires. Hopefully I'll find out next week.

nsx.jpg

Thanks...I was interested in the size tires you were able to source for 16/17 in Hankook RS4s.

Unfortunately the R-S4 is not made in a 215/45-16. At present Tire Rack carries the BFGoodrich G-Force Rival S 1.5 in the proper 16 / 17 sizes.

Last edited:
I have 3 different brands of tires on my car right now from the PO (fronts are Falken Azeni 615, one rear is a fuzion something and the other rear is a Federal 595-RSR). Was thinking about trying the Federal ST-1. Looks like a knock-off of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I had PSS on my GT-R and loved them. The ST-1 are offered in the factory 16/17 sizes...

https://www.federaltire.com/en/products_detail.php?products_detail_sn=38

Front 215 vs 205

I earlier posted this:

"I just got new tires for my '96 NSX - the Hankook RS4's - LOVE them! They really hug the road - I see a big improvement from the RS3's."

I had my mechanic get them and you are right, it turns out the front are 205/45 ZR 16 (not OEM 215/45 R16) The rears are OEM 245/40 ZR 17

What ramifications are likely from mixing these two specs? Not doing much track these days, but like to challenge corners on the street. They are performing great

Bruce

Has anyone here tried Federal Evoluzion ST-1 in 16 and 17? I found some that are the right size for a good price. Can't find many reviews online but the ones I've found say it's an extreme summer performance tire that does well in wet and dry. Thoughts?

Asif

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I earlier posted this:

"I just got new tires for my '96 NSX - the Hankook RS4's - LOVE them! They really hug the road - I see a big improvement from the RS3's."

I had my mechanic get them and you are right, it turns out the front are 205/45 ZR 16 (not OEM 215/45 R16) The rears are OEM 245/40 ZR 17

What ramifications are likely from mixing these two specs? Not doing much track these days, but like to challenge corners on the street. They are performing great

Bruce
There shouldn't be any negative ramifications. The sizes are still within the tolerances for the TCS to work properly. And any difference in performance and grip will be negligible, especially on the street, even in brisk cornering. Just sit back and enjoy them!

Koni yellow shocks

There shouldn't be any negative ramifications. The sizes are still within the tolerances for the TCS to work properly. And any difference in performance and grip will be negligible, especially on the street, even in brisk cornering. Just sit back and enjoy them!

My mechanic is recommending new Koni yellow shocks. Is this a good choice. I am not interested in lowering the car

My mechanic is recommending new Koni yellow shocks. Is this a good choice. I am not interested in lowering the car

I found the Koni yellows to be quite harsh on my 91. That was with Comptech progressive lowering springs. I'd probably choose the Bilstein over the Koni- they feel more compliant at least under my butt dyno lol.

I found the Koni yellows to be quite harsh on my 91. That was with Comptech progressive lowering springs. I'd probably choose the Bilstein over the Koni- they feel more compliant at least under my butt dyno lol.
I had the Bilsteins on my NSX, mounted for the stock ride height, and I liked them a lot. They were comfortable in normal street driving and tightened up nicely when driving hard.

Ken is alive!!!!!

Yes - that's what my mechanic says - the ride is pretty bumpy - but I do have the Type S anti sway bars and when I added the 5 point restraint system it tightened up the ride a bit

Honestly, if you already have the Type-S sway bars, it might be worth it to bite the bullet and buy the Type-S shock/spring from Japan. I've had a chance to spend some real time on this suspension in [MENTION=34522]NSX_n00b[/MENTION]'s car and I have to say it's probably the best all around suspension option for our cars. It's soft over bumps, compliant and really sharpens up under load. You also get a bit of lowering too. Even the great Keiichi Tsuchiya claimed he tried, but could not improve upon the Type-S. It's that good.

Honestly, if you already have the Type-S sway bars, it might be worth it to bite the bullet and buy the Type-S shock/spring from Japan. I've had a chance to spend some real time on this suspension in [MENTION=34522]NSX_n00b[/MENTION]'s car and I have to say it's probably the best all around suspension option for our cars. It's soft over bumps, compliant and really sharpens up under load. You also get a bit of lowering too. Even the great Keiichi Tsuchiya claimed he tried, but could not improve upon the Type-S. It's that good.

Interesting... what do they cost and who carries them?

Interesting... what do they cost and who carries them?

Unfortunately they are not sold as an assembled unit any longer and you have to buy the dampers and springs separately and put them together yourself. MITA sells them as well as other Japan parts vendors. I pieced my four corners together in January 2019 and for every piece (dampers, springs, top hats, nuts, bump stops, dust covers, etc, etc, etc) I was at ~$2000 shipped from Japan. If you go by the book you really can't reuse many of the smaller pieces from another stock suspension as the Type-S set up has it's own part numbers for certain things, but I'm sure there are exceptions that could be made if you wanted to try and save some money. I didn't want to go through trial and error so I just went all in on all brand new pieces.

Back