• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

17/17 and 17/18 Tire Choices - not much left.

Confidentially, I will be mounting 4 new tires on an original set of correct 5 spoke 1991 wheels for our 711 mile Red/Ivory car which is currently live on Bring-A-Trailer. Since the original tires are not dry rotted, they are still suitable for display. But I want the new owner to have a safe set of proper wheels and tires to install should they want to drive the car any distance beyond the delivery truck and their storage facility.

So what tire would everyone agree is the most standard looking and modest performing? I also need them before next Friday when the auction closes.

Thoughts?
Might want to start a new post as those are not 17/17 or 17/18 wheels.

Confidentially, I will be mounting 4 new tires on an original set of correct 5 spoke 1991 wheels for our 711 mile Red/Ivory car which is currently live on Bring-A-Trailer.
So what tire would everyone agree is the most standard looking and modest performing?
CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT SPORT 02
Great tires, and the ONLY tires Tire Rack has in the original sizes that aren’t track tires or near track 200 TW tires.

Last edited:
Confidentially, I will be mounting 4 new tires on an original set of correct 5 spoke 1991 wheels for our 711 mile Red/Ivory car which is currently live on Bring-A-Trailer. Since the original tires are not dry rotted, they are still suitable for display. But I want the new owner to have a safe set of proper wheels and tires to install should they want to drive the car any distance beyond the delivery truck and their storage facility.

So what tire would everyone agree is the most standard looking and modest performing? I also need them before next Friday when the auction closes.

Thoughts?
Are you still planning to include the original tires in the sale? Given the immaculate condition of that car and that it's basically exactly as it left the factory, I have a hunch that the new owner might want to preserve and display the car as such. I'd love to be wrong on this, but I doubt that car is ever getting driven except for from a trailer to a museum.

Current issue of NSX Driver has a great article on tires, by none other than the infamous Ken Sax. Does anyone have experience with the Pirelli P Zero GTs that he has in the 17x17 OEM sizes for an 02?
Bump, does anyone have any experience with these tires on a NSX or any other car, that they can share?

I bought some tires from the UK for a Lotus Elise many years ago, so for folks who don't mind shipping tires across the pond, it looks like Michelin UK has their newest Pilot Sport 5 in some sizes that would probably work for 17/17 cars.

205/40-17, 215/40-17, and 245/40-17 (but no 255/40-17).

Maybe 205F and 245R would be the right balance since 255 rear is not available?

Just ordered Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 in 215/40R-17 and 255/40R-17 , should arrive and get installed next week. Going to have a few other items addressed before I drive down to Atlanta for NSXPO, so by the time I get there, I'll have a review on the tires.

Just ordered Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 in 215/40R-17 and 255/40R-17 , should arrive and get installed next week. Going to have a few other items addressed before I drive down to Atlanta for NSXPO, so by the time I get there, I'll have a review on the tires.
Well, just checked my order status, as they were due on9/8 to be shipped, and now showing not available until after 9/23, and that's not going to make it for sure, prior to NSXPO. I just switched to the

Dunlop Direzza ZIII​

I'll give a review of these after the road trip...........

Well, just checked my order status, as they were due on9/8 to be shipped, and now showing not available until after 9/23, and that's not going to make it for sure, prior to NSXPO. I just switched to the

Dunlop Direzza ZIII​

I'll give a review of these after the road trip...........
Early impression, on the drive home from getting the tires installed, they're quiet!!!! Good steering wheel feel, just a 15 mile drive, but with a 2,000 mile+ road trip, I'll give a more detailed report soon!!!

Early impression, on the drive home from getting the tires installed, they're quiet!!!! Good steering wheel feel, just a 15 mile drive, but with a 2,000 mile+ road trip, I'll give a more detailed report soon!!!
Now, about 600 miles on them, a few observations; they’re quiet, compared to the Yokohamas they replaced, they’re downright silent. Gas mileage is also better, averaged 29.35 mpg, mostly at75-80mph. Road feel excellent, no real twisties on the highway, but I’m sure during NSXPO, I’ll get to opine on that as well!

Well, got home a couple of hours ago, and need to address the water in my basement.........But, put over 2,000 miles on the tires. On the highway, they're quiet, and my gas mileage is better than ever. At a pretty constant 70-80 MPH on the ride down and back I got over 29mpg. On the mountain drive (was freaking awesome), the tires were like glue to the roads. The twisties were a joy with these on the car. If you're looking for the stock 17x17 2002-2005 replacements, I believe that these are being discontinued, so grab a set, while you can..............they're a bargain!!!

Just went looking for new tires on TireRack for my 17/17 setup at factory sizes of 215-40-17 and 255-40-17. There's not a lot of options any more...

Dunlop Direzza ZIII - special/closeout
Falken Azenis RT615K+
Yokohama Advan A052
Falken Azenis RT660
Nankang Sportnex CR-S
Yokohama Advan NEOVA AD09

Any recommendations?

Outside of those, I really wanted to see if there were any other size variants that could work in other popular tires and I looked at this setup on PS4S.

Michelin PS4S
215/45/17 = 24.6" 820 revs/mile - 0.8" bigger diameter than stock
265/40/17 = 25.3" 796 revs/mile - 0.3" bigger diameter than stock
1.03 diameter ratio - TCS should still work based on the details from this thread, any other considerations other than ratios?

Anyone running this setup? Any concerns with rubbing or altering the front/rear heights? Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

So being the contrarian that I am, I decided to try a unusual front size, because Tire rack had it in stock with the 255 rear in 17

I'll let you all know how it goes once mounted

Im trying the conti extreme contact force XL as a street tire...225/40/17 front...Interestingly it keeps the nearly 1 inch height rake as the oem 16/17 tires..
did you see this in this thread

Just went looking for new tires on TireRack for my 17/17 setup at factory sizes of 215-40-17 and 255-40-17. There's not a lot of options any more...

Dunlop Direzza ZIII - special/closeout
Falken Azenis RT615K+
Yokohama Advan A052
Falken Azenis RT660
Nankang Sportnex CR-S
Yokohama Advan NEOVA AD09

Any recommendations?

Outside of those, I really wanted to see if there were any other size variants that could work in other popular tires and I looked at this setup on PS4S.

Michelin PS4S
215/45/17 = 24.6" 820 revs/mile - 0.8" bigger diameter than stock
265/40/17 = 25.3" 796 revs/mile - 0.3" bigger diameter than stock
1.03 diameter ratio - TCS should still work based on the details from this thread, any other considerations other than ratios?

Anyone running this setup? Any concerns with rubbing or altering the front/rear heights? Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
How do you use the car? Daily driven? Tracked? How important is wet grip?

215/40-17 wont fit. 265/40-17 is fine

did you see this in this thread
I did, I was a little worried about going 225 in the front with possible rubbing. I know you mentioned no audible rubbing sound, now that you've driven them some more miles, can you confirm no rubbing? Any other thoughts on them? Still a winner?

I have the Falken Azenis RT615K+ on my car. For any driving up to but not including track use, they are great. I run a 17 / 17 stagger. Wheels are Mita’s Type S / Zanardi replicas. Would not hesitate to purchase again.

215/40R17 Front
255/40R17 Rear

Last edited:
I did, I was a little worried about going 225 in the front with possible rubbing. I know you mentioned no audible rubbing sound, now that you've driven them some more miles, can you confirm no rubbing? Any other thoughts on them? Still a winner?
no issues but I'm at stock ride height..

no issues but I'm at stock ride height..
Ok, then I might lean towards the Continentals. However, I'm on Type-S suspension, I know that lowers things a bit (~0.5") not sure if that would be a deal breaker on the front's rubbing...

Just reflecting on that since I have a 91, I was using the TCS ratio linked in this thread and looking again the TCS ratio that was for 94-01. The ratio for 91 factory 15/16 (205/50-15 and 225/50-16) is 1.078. Should I be targeting that ratio (since I generally don't disable TCS)? If so, would a 275/40-17 fit in the rear? That would be almost identical ratio (1.079) and rake to the stock 91 tires if I used (215/40-17 and 275/40-17).

Last edited:
Real pleased with the Dunlops, you can read my posts above.

After driving a lot on wet roads and bad conditions with the Goodyear Eagle F1 A6 (17/18 setup) - they are amazing on the wet. Incredible grip and hydroplaning resistance. Rain at highway speeds is not an issue. Dry grip is plenty enough still. I will probably renew them and not go to the Yokohama AD09 which are probably the most obvious upgrade, but compromised on wet roads, especially on highways.

Howdy all. Hope this finds everyone well.

I'm replacing the racing tires that my 99 had on when I bought it.

I have the OEM stock rims. 16 front 17 rear.

I want buy the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 from tire rack.. but the fronts only come in
  • Size: 205/45ZR16 87W XL
and the original tires were 215 in the front, not 205

From what I read here so far is that this should NOT be an issue, correct?

There rears are exactly the same size as original. 245/40-17.

I should be good to go on a totally stock NSX with the 205's in front?

Thanks in advance. Anthony

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...&rearWidth=245/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17#

Those are great tires; we are running them on the 750hp+ Gunther Werks Turbo.

205/45-16 will work fine. The ExtremeContact Sport 02 in that tire size has a 6.9" treadwidth.

By comparison, the 215/45-16 Bridgestone RE-71R has a 6.8" treadwidth.

Those are great tires; we are running them on the 750hp+ Gunther Werks Turbo.

205/45-16 will work fine. The ExtremeContact Sport 02 in that tire size has a 6.9" treadwidth.

By comparison, the 215/45-16 Bridgestone RE-71R has a 6.8" treadwidth.
Thanks for the quick reply sir.
I will order them!

Last edited:
Back