• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

17/17 and 17/18 Tire Choices - not much left.

Thanks for the quick reply sir.
I will order them!
I'm also running the ECS in 205/45/16 and 245/40/17. They are fantastic. Dry grip is excellent, wet grip is very stable and the turn-in response is sharp. Haven't tracked them yet but I believe they will do quite well.

So being the contrarian that I am, I decided to try a unusual front size, because Tire rack had it in stock with the 255 rear in 17

I'll let you all know how it goes once mounted

Im trying the conti extreme contact force XL as a street tire...225/40/17 front...Interestingly it keeps the nearly 1 inch height rake as the oem 16/17 tires..

Any report on wet performance with the CEC Force, @docjohn ? I'm thinking of going 225/40/17 front and 275/35/18 in the rear if I use these.

I just secured a set of Advan RGIIIs, 17x8 38 front and 18x10 35 rear. I'm saving my Model Vs with Indy 500s for distance travel, so I can go with stickier tires on this set. However, I still require good rain performance. At this point, for this set, I'm deciding between the Maxxis VR-1 that Ryu has tried, the Falken 615k (both in 215/40r17 + 265/35r18), which I can get easiest and cheapest, and the Conti Extreme Contact Force in the 225 front size mentioned above.

Sadly I had the wheels detailed( very nice restoration of the SSR's) and have been running around on the old track shoes...Won't be till April that I swap em..

Indy500s are terrible in the wet. EC Sports are SIGNIFICANTLY better in the wet.

Are you talking about mixing matching tire brands front and rear???

@stuntman No, I would not mix tires like that. I have a set of Model V wheels with Indy 500s that I've been running, and had planned to keep for long distance trips to NSXPO.

I bought a new set of RGIIIs with specs as noted above, for local use, and am trying to choose stickier tires with some wet capability, since it rains here a lot.

Sorry if I was confusing.

Also, thanks for answering my question about wet performance, that is super-helpful. :) Just making sure you are referring to to EC Force and not EC Sport (latter have no availability in NSX friendly sizes), before I run out and spend $1200 👍🏽 .

@stuntman No, I would not mix tires like that. I have a set of Model V wheels with Indy 500s that I've been running, and had planned to keep for long distance trips to NSXPO.

I bought a new set of RGIIIs with specs as noted above, for local use, and am trying to choose stickier tires with some wet capability, since it rains here a lot.

Sorry if I was confusing.

Also, thanks for answering my question about wet performance, that is super-helpful. :) Just making sure you are referring to to EC Force and not EC Sport (latter have no availability in NSX friendly sizes), before I run out and spend $1200 👍🏽 .
My mistake, you did say the FORCE tire and your post was clear.

Tirerack's rating system is usually pretty good. I did back to back testing (wet and dry track) with the Indy500 and the EC SPORT and the Indy500 was terrible in the wet. iirc, tirerack's rating system reflected my experiences. However, when I went onto tirerack's website; the Indy500 has a pretty darn good wet rating. I'm not sure how to explain this.

I guess it's important to state what your goals are. Do you plan on tracking the car at all? Are you an experienced track driver?

I would be more inclined to recommend the 615K or Dunlop Direzza ZIII based off what you said. But if you're not tracking the car and need a better wet-performing tire.

My mistake, you did say the FORCE tire and your post was clear.

Tirerack's rating system is usually pretty good. I did back to back testing (wet and dry track) with the Indy500 and the EC SPORT and the Indy500 was terrible in the wet. iirc, tirerack's rating system reflected my experiences. However, when I went onto tirerack's website; the Indy500 has a pretty darn good wet rating. I'm not sure how to explain this.

I guess it's important to state what your goals are. Do you plan on tracking the car at all? Are you an experienced track driver?

I would be more inclined to recommend the 615K or Dunlop Direzza ZIII based off what you said. But if you're not tracking the car and need a better wet-performing tire.

Thanks again!

I am primarily a street driver and I really only track my NSX at NSXPO.

I'm also running the ECS in 205/45/16 and 245/40/17. They are fantastic. Dry grip is excellent, wet grip is very stable and the turn-in response is sharp. Haven't tracked them yet but I believe they will do quite well.
Are u on stock rims? I told my honda mechanic today about the 205 instead of 215 in the fronts and he seemed worried about seating the bead on the stock rims .
I was feeling confident after the responses here and now he’s making me doubt my decision.

Are u on stock rims? I told my honda mechanic today about the 205 instead of 215 in the fronts and he seemed worried about seating the bead on the stock rims .
I was feeling confident after the responses here and now he’s making me doubt my decision.
I'm on Mita Type-S wheels. I believe the fronts are 16 x 7 +45mm. We had no issues fitting the 205 tires on there.

The 205 ECS is the same width or wider than many other brands in 215.

I would choose the 205 ECS over most available 215 tire choices for performance, wet/dry grip, and ride quality.
I can't wait to try them on the track.

I just secured a set of Advan RGIIIs, 17x8 38 front and 18x10 35 rear. I'm saving my Model Vs with Indy 500s for distance travel, so I can go with stickier tires on this set. However, I still require good rain performance. At this point, for this set, I'm deciding between the Maxxis VR-1 that Ryu has tried, the Falken 615k (both in 215/40r17 + 265/35r18), which I can get easiest and cheapest, and the Conti Extreme Contact Force in the 225 front size mentioned above.

👍👍 Please post pics if you go the EC Force route! (Really all of them tbh) Especially the fronts, I’m super curious how they stretch / don’t on an 8” wheel

Anyone tried the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus three-season tire? I have OEM 17" wheels, so would go with 205/45/17 and 255/40/17.

The only reason for me to step down from a summer tire is because I'd like to drive this thing if it's a little under 40F without cracking them (Spring mornings and evenings in the Midwest). The only summer tire I can find without compound cracking at those temps is the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. While it's been a decent tire for many years, I think I'm just ready to step down to an all-season tire.

The Conti DWS 06 Plus seems to be a bit higher rated than the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (also available in those sizes). I've got Michelins on everything else, but think I would pick the Conti's this time.... TIA.

Anyone tried the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus three-season tire? I have OEM 17" wheels, so would go with 205/45/17 and 255/40/17.
I have the DWS 06+ on my GR Corolla, and PS AS4 on my NSX and 993. Both tires are great, I don’t notice a real-world difference.

I've been very happy with ECS on my 15/16 fat fives. Ran the v1 from 2020 until I had a blowout about a month ago from catching a screw in the tire. As others have mentioned, great in the wet. Did a cross country drive from Seattle to Ohio and hit some snow and cold weather in the mountains - for summer tires did much better than expected there. Run Michelins Pilot Sports on other cars but really hoping Conti continues to make these tires in these sizes for the NSX - will likely upsize to 16/17 if the 15s are discontinued. Went with the updated v2 and just got them mounted. The 15s were backordered but got them within 4 weeks from TireRack after placing the order. Would recommend.

Back