• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom Rims Size Question

Hello,

I want to change my standard 1996 Acura NSX-T rims to custom rims and I have a question about what size I should get them. At the wheel shop they recommended I get size 19X8 wheels 215x35x19 for the front and 19x10.5 wheels 275x35x19 for the rear, Continental tires.
Is there any specific reason why Acura originally installed the front rims and tires to be smaller that the rear, since right now I have rims 16 inch in the front and
17 in the rear?
Also, if I instead get 215X40X18 in the front and 275x45x18 in the rear will it run softer then size 215x35x19 and 275x35x19?

Hello,

I want to change my standard 1996 Acura NSX-T rims to custom rims and I have a question about what size I should get them. At the wheel shop they recommended I get size 19X8 wheels 215x35x19 for the front and 19x10.5 wheels 275x35x19 for the rear, Continental tires.
Is there any specific reason why Acura originally installed the front rims and tires to be smaller that the rear, since right now I have rims 16 inch in the front and
17 in the rear?
Also, if I instead get 215X40X18 in the front and 275x45x18 in the rear will it run softer then size 215x35x19 and 275x35x19?

19 front and 19 rear? I don't recommend it. You will end up having traction problem and your X will probably look funny too. Try 17/18 or 18/19 :wink:.

You're going to rub in the front, your TCS won't work properly, the ride will suck, you'll probably bend the wheels within a year, and you'll affect performance negatively in every category. Not recommended. Whoever is making these recommendations doesn't know this car well.

There are several threads as well as whole section on wheel fitment on Prime. I found it helpfull when I was trying to decide on new rims and tires.

That wheel shop gave you the absolute WORST RECOMMENDATION they could have possibly given you. DO NOT get anything they recommended. PERIOD. Check out user 'angus' thread on 18/19" tire sizes.

Go back and punch the dumbass that gave you that recommendation in the face. :)

Last edited:
To answer this question:

Is there any specific reason why Acura originally installed the front rims and tires to be smaller that the rear
Yes. They needed the space in front for the passenger cabin, so there was enough legroom for the driver to have his/her legs comfortably straight ahead, so there was limited room in the wheel wells.

As a result, the outer diameter of the front tires must be smaller than the rear. This needs to continue for the TCS to operate properly and to avoid the other problems mentioned above by TURBO2GO.

The biggest mistake people make when shopping for wheels is to decide on wheel size, then look for tire sizes that fit (often finding they're stuck with wheels for which they can't find tires).

The best aftermarket wheel/tire fitment for the NSX is 17" front, 18" rear, although 16"/17" and 17"/17" also work well. When you go any bigger than that, there aren't many good tires available in the front size you'll need, such as 215/35-18 for 18" wheels. So stick to these tire sizes:

17"/18": 215/40-17 front, 265/35-18 ('91-93 NSX) or 255/35-18 ('94-05 NSX) rear
17"/17": 215/40-17 front, 255/40-17 rear
16"/17": 205/45-16 or 215/45-16 front, 245/40-17 or 255/40-17 rear

Best wheel widths are front 16x7, 17x7, 17x7.5, and rear 17x9, 17x9.5, 18x9, 18x9.5, 18x10.

And if/when you go 18/19" the tire sizes are:
215/35/18 front, 275/30/19 rear (or 265/30/19).
Do not get anything other than what we have listed here!!!

It's so hard to find good tires in those sizes, I would just avoid 18"/19" altogether.

Unless you go with wide front fenders and get good tires to clear in sizes that would normally rub. :D might as well cover all the bases.

Ken how bad is the S drive? I wouldn't use it on my car but do you have any experience with it?

Ken how bad is the S drive? I wouldn't use it on my car but do you have any experience with it?
Yes, I do (on other cars, not the NSX). As for how good/bad it is, it depends on what you're comparing it to. It's definitely a significant step down from the so-called "maximum performance" tires like the Continental ExtremeContact DW, Bridgestone Potenza S-04, etc, and that group is a significant step down from the "extreme performance" tires like the Dunlop Star Spec, Bridgestone RE-11, etc. Within its category of "ultra high performance" tires, the S.drive is one of the better choices, but I wouldn't put a tire in that category on an NSX. OTOH for someone who is only commuting and who never drives the NSX very hard, and who is willing to trade off some grip in exchange for a lower purchase price (and, compared with the extreme performance tires, longer treadlife), that may be a trade-off worth making.

Yes, I do (on other cars, not the NSX). As for how good/bad it is, it depends on what you're comparing it to. It's definitely a significant step down from the so-called "maximum performance" tires like the Continental ExtremeContact DW, Bridgestone Potenza S-04, etc, and that group is a significant step down from the "extreme performance" tires like the Dunlop Star Spec, Bridgestone RE-11, etc. Within its category of "ultra high performance" tires, the S.drive is one of the better choices, but I wouldn't put a tire in that category on an NSX. OTOH for someone who is only commuting and who never drives the NSX very hard, and who is willing to trade off some grip in exchange for a lower purchase price (and, compared with the extreme performance tires, longer treadlife), that may be a trade-off worth making.

Problem is the whole thing is still way heavier unless you get something like a Volk G12 forged wheel at a very high cost. Almost all other forged wheels I looked at were heavier and then there's the weight of the tire itself. And a 35 series tire on a 215 has so little sidewall it's going to have zero ride quality. A wide fender and larger extreme performance tire setup with larger sizes would work, and give more grip over the same type tire, but IMO you really need more engine, suspension, and brake to take full advantage of it. With a low torque motor like the NA stock motor I'd be really hesitant to add rotational mass.

I actually did all my calculations and it is possible to stay very near stock weight with an 18/19 setup both tire and wheel wise, but only with a couple of specific wheels and tires. I didn't want to change fenders so I just said forget it. But it is possible to go 18/19 and not lose performance if you follow an exact formula. As for your ride... You better live some place with smooth roads.

Last edited:
Yup. One other disadvantage is that the extra-large diameter wheels (such as an 18"/19" setup) have very short sidewalls, which means not only the diminished ride quality you mentioned, but it also means the wheels are much more susceptible to damage from potholes. And those bigger wheels are very expensive to fix or replace!

I will definitely go read up more on this in the threads.
Thank you everyone for the feedback, greatly appreciated!

Well I will say this: you are smart enough to come on here and ask, most people would just let the shop do their thing. Now you know more than the shop.

While there are people who have run 215/35/19 in front, it is usually with a 20" rear (like a 285/25/20) and these people are mostly doing it for show without any regard for how much it rubs or degrades the ride and handling.

That being said, even some 215/35/18 tires can rub the front depending on the rim offset and the design of the tire.

This is why getting the proper wheels for the NSX is so important, the fitment is much more critical than most other cars.

Unfortunately most wheel/tire shops really have little to no idea about fitting wheels to the NSX, scary for owners who show up expecting an "expert" to take care of them and their needs, I have even seen the wrong size/type of tires fitted to OEM rims on NSX's - while one size up or down on most other cars would make little to no difference (or even make an improvement) this just won't work on the NSX.

Back