• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom Sub Enclosure "IN THE FACTORY LOCATION"!!

Custom Sub Enclosure "IN THE FACTORY LOCATION"!! NO loss from stock!

Well, I have done it once again:biggrin:

I am about half way done with an enclosure to fit in the factory location. I am doing a 10" version to fit the Earthquake SWS10. It has a long throw excursion that will work in a shallow enclosure.

I am looking for pre-orders. It will be made the same way as the Zetoolbox, black gel coated fiberglass. I will not put as much effort in the final polished finish, since it will be hidden!

I am opening it up for pre-orders at $450.00 + sub. I do not know what the sub with a grill will be yet. I think around $200 set up.

This sub is supposed to ROCK! So, I look forward to the finished product. I have been told that we need a version that is under carpet with no loss, so HERE YOU GO!!

The sub weighs about 6 lbs. the enclosure should weigh about 6-7 lbs, will have to see. But, all in all it should be pretty light, plus the weight you will remove will offset it. So,

GREAT BASS and LESS FILLING:biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:
You did it again Hal! Gosh makes me rethink now :cool: :tongue:

Thumbs WAY up!

I think you have a winner here. You need to get your hands on the sub and do a sound check to compare it to your other current offerings. The thought of no space lost to the sub enclosure makes me glad I waited this long to bite.
:cool:

Thats waaay too heavy.:biggrin: :biggrin:

OK, I am interested depending on how it sounds of course...

Hal, I think you are on to something! Fingers crossed that this is the best (and last) iteration. Your solutions will certainly cover the gambit for a sub in the footwell. IMO this version has the potential to really meet the needs of NSX owners looking for bass.

I'll go ahead and offer a seed for your next version. Think "powered" shallow box sub enclosure! Just run power to the box and audio lines from the head unit. (The madness will never end..........:smile: )

Shaun

Not a bad idea, but where do we put the amp? there is no room in the box. You will also need a way to match levels. Hopefully the line out is not equalized like on a lot of Bose systems.

TURBO2GO said:
Not a bad idea, but where do we put the amp? there is no room in the box. You will also need a way to match levels. Hopefully the line out is not equalized like on a lot of Bose systems.

Hey, I'm just an idea guy. Don't bother me with details:smile:

Actually, a quality 1-channel amp would not take up much space. Heck, years ago I had an Audiomobile amp that was very small and I ran a pair of subs off of it. We're not talking 1000W amps here, but maybe something like what bazooka uses. (Acutally, I have no idea what bazooka subs use, but just guessing it is pretty compact).

Seriously though, it was more of a joke than an idea. But one never knows.....:wink:

I wonder if it would fit in a Right hand drive car ??
my sub enclosure uses too much space.

zetoolman said:
Send me the specs, and I will see!

Blaupunkt THw-1000 10 inch Thinline Subwoofer Speaker
Thiele/Small parameters: fs = 30 Hz, Qts = 0.64, Vas = 1.32 ft3
Mounting depth of 2.5".

Will it work in the factory location in a 98 without moving the module? If so, sign me up.

Tim

NSXBOX said:
I wonder if it would fit in a Right hand drive car ??
my sub enclosure uses too much space.

No, it is an exact mold of the car, a RH car would need to be molded the same way. I have asked for one local to work on, no luck!

AutoVation said:
Blaupunkt THw-1000 10 inch Thinline Subwoofer Speaker
Thiele/Small parameters: fs = 30 Hz, Qts = 0.64, Vas = 1.32 ft3
Mounting depth of 2.5".

I have heard from people who have used both and the Earthquake is superior.

Whith what you say, it should fit though. If you want to use it!

zetoolman said:
I have heard from people who have used both and the Earthquake is superior.

I can vouch for that as I have worked with both. Here's a quote from Nousaine's article speaking about both subs comparing the 10" SWS vs the 12" Blaupunkt.

This thin 10 doesn't make the loud low bass of a typical 10, but how does the SWS-10 compare to a thin 12, the Blaupunkt OverDrive ODwp1200 prototype subwoofer that we tested back in our Aug/Sept 2002 issue? Surprisingly well. In the lab, the Blau had slightly better frequency-response tolerance, but the Earthquake sub had better high-frequency extension (which is especially important for subs mounted up front). In the car, the Earthquake sub again had better high-frequency response. In overall dynamic capability, the 10-inch SWS-10 was even slightly better from 25 to 62 Hz, and only a dB or lower in other important respects. The measurements of the two thin subs are pretty much the same, but keep in mind that it's fantastic, incredible, and highly unusual for a 10-inch sub to perform as well as or better than a 12.

It's important to set the correct expectation of small volume, low profile subs. If they were every bit as good as a conventional subwoofer, just about every sub would be thin. If small boxes created the same output as large boxes, probably all boxes would be small, too. In Tom's article he tested the sub in a .6 cubic foot box in his Vette and measured 114 dB @ 10 Hz, 118.9 dB max @ 40 Hz which is plenty loud for most folks. That's good output but probably 10 dB or more shy than a really good conventional 10" sub which means a high quality 10 is about twice as loud. Bottom line is you have to make some sacrifices whether want bass or space. Most people would be satisfied with the shallow box route I think.

Here are some pics of the prototype! It came out great.
Ready to go to tooling.... FINALLY!!

10555Prototype_factory_replacement.JPG

10555Prototype_factory_replacement_3.JPG

Looks HUGE, Huh?

10555Prototype_factory_replacement_2.JPG

Malibu Rapper said:
:eek: Can you put up some pictures of this box compared to the other box options outside of the car? Also what is the magic number for box volume? :)

Will not know volume 'til I get the tooling done and produce the first part. The inside is VERY full due to the molding process. I will get some pics of the 2 available boxes when the new one is complete, that will look better!

Back