• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom wifi backup camera to console mounted iPhone + Grom bluetooth audio

Warren that's an $80 camera out of china. Please do not spend $380 on that. It's bad enough what GoPro charges, the Bose of the camera world. If you want the best camera on the market, something that can do serious quality video, with accurate colors, with a real lens, with real remote provisions and quality sound capability, the one to get is the PrimeX from Replay HD. It's not available in the U.S. yet but will be shortly. You can see it on the New Zealand website:

http://www.replayxd.co.nz/primex.html

primex9.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oooh, do tell...

What I have are two small bullet cams that are of a broadcast standard quality and can see in extremely low light, around 0.01 lux, that are 60 frames per second in HD (Double the frame rate of most of the better HD cameras) feeding a small screen used in LG telephones (full HD) by a digital signal transmission in between. I am now testing the system and then will start working on housings for either the dash corners or a rear view mirror split for two screens, and a very cool outside housing that looks similar to a small missile launcher to keep the theme of the F16 on the NSX. Once I have the electronics sorted I may seek Jeff's help at Carbon6 for a housing design. This is ultra light weight, and has vast aero advantages and viewing advantages over any side view mirror. We are talking about a 1.5" high bullet about 3.5" long. Almost zero drag. I personally am also using a rear view cam instead of the rear view mirror onto a screen in the navpod that has more that double the resolution and brightness of anything else out there like the SOS LCD. I had thought about creating an entire sound proof baffle between the engine bay and cabin, that kills any view out the rear but this restores it. Still a lot to be solved but so far so good. I actually have a working system right now.

Last edited:
Sounds completely awesome. If be inclined to do the rear view more so than the side cameras but I love your description of the setup/approach. Please continue sharing.

I think while a rear view cam offers some level of convenience, the NSX is a small car and it isn't CRITICAL. The sideview cams are much more beneficial as they have no blind spot and you'd be amazed of how much drag standard mirrors introduce. I did some research on this, they can easily cost you 5 MPH in top speed. That is pretty unbelievable but they change the aero on the entire car. Not just their own level of drag. And it is 12+ pounds of weight savings. Anyway I really feel bad because the OP has done an amazing and quite creative job on this thread and I am really jacking it.

My apologies NRG TRADR

Last edited:
Back