• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

dali / basch supercharger

How much more difficult does the supercharger/coolant bottle make the procedure of removing the front valve cover? Does it just add a few extra minutes or is it a huge procedure to get these things out of the way?

-DanO

Chris,

Can any aftermarket cat-back exhaust system be used with the BaschBoost SC? The reason behind my asking is that I recall someone mentioning only the CT exhaust would hold up over time with respect to the CT SC. Apparently, many of the other aftermarket systems would eventually 'blow-out' with the CT SC. I've recently installed the DC Sports exhaust in my '91 NSX and just would like to know in advance if I need to replace it if I decide to order the BB SC.

I live just north of Toronto and I too I'm very interested to learn if a North-East US install location will be available soon. I would gladly be prepared to drive 8-10 hrs to get a BB SC installed by a qualified shop ( ie, Basch trained techs ) but driving 40+ hrs is quite a burden which I presume most NE NSXers are not prepared to do.

I hope everyone who went to the EXPO made it home safe. Please pass on the personal Basch supercharger info for this EAST coast pre-supercharged guy
biggrin.gif

I agree. Any word on what's going on for us east coast guys now that Xpo is over? I am so excited, I hope something can be worked out for us east coast guys.

------------------
Jason

HOLY COW! 3.2 does 410HP at the rear wheel?? STOCK at 5PSI? What's up with that?? a 3.0 does 366RWHP? That's a shit load at 5psi, what makes it diff. from the Bell? Bell runs at 6PSI and only gets out 351HP w 280TQ.

I was at the expo and I can tell you that the Basch supercharger looks great. They did suffer a mechanical failure on the way to Wisconsin, but it doesn't look like anything serious. The shaft that is driven by the engine came loose from the supercharger shaft. They are working on a much better method of attatching these two shafts and the problem may already be fixed. Unfortunately because of this problem no one was able to feel the power of the supercharger first hand though.

The overall design seems rock solid and I am sure they will get the small problems worked out and it will end up being a great solution.

The problem was explained to me like this..

The chromoly being used to create the supercharger is VERY hard. Because the metal is so hard the machine shop building the supercharger was breaking tools (the tool is inexpensive to replace, I was told $8.00) so rather than break more tools, the shop "cut a corner"
eek.gif
, and the edge created caused problems with the shaft.
mad.gif
The whole problem will be cured by having the parts correctly machined to Mark Basch's specs. This is not catastophic, and can be easily corrected.
smile.gif

I think it is important to remember that this is exactly why the superchargers were not being sold yet (although orders are being taken), and won't be sold until they are developed to perfection.
A person with the professional integrity of Mark Basch will certainly be POSITIVE of the units reliability before bringing it to market. He is hanging his name on this product and I think that you will find out once this miniscule detail is corrected, that the Basch Boost Supercharger will become the predominant method of forced induction on the NSX.
smile.gif

------------------
One NSXPO down... more to come!

[This message has been edited by H-carWizKid (edited 24 October 2001).]

Originally posted by HapaHaole:
Anyone know if it is CARB legal?

He has not applied for a CARB certificate yet. Maybe in the future; apparently it is expensive...?

Originally posted by Runutzzzzz:
HOLY COW! 3.2 does 410HP at the rear wheel?? STOCK at 5PSI? What's up with that?? a 3.0 does 366RWHP? That's a shit load at 5psi, what makes it diff. from the Bell? Bell runs at 6PSI and only gets out 351HP w 280TQ.

I'm not sure your Bell figure is correct. Where did you get it? Also, readings can vary by quite a bit from car to car (even stock) and depending on conditions like air temp (especially forced induction cars), and even dyno to dyno. And then the really important part, not peak HP but rather area under the curve. (HP at lower revs and how fast it falls off above peak. After all, you’re only at peak HP for an instant.)

Originally posted by sjs:
I'm not sure your Bell figure is correct. Where did you get it? Also, readings can vary by quite a bit from car to car (even stock) and depending on conditions like air temp (especially forced induction cars), and even dyno to dyno. And then the really important part, not peak HP but rather area under the curve. (HP at lower revs and how fast it falls off above peak. After all, you’re only at peak HP for an instant.)

Those were my Dyno results here in VA, one thing I DID notice I have basically FULL TQ at about 4500RPM? 280 all the way up..
smile.gif
Compared to the curve of the SC

Originally posted by Lud:
He has not applied for a CARB certificate yet. Maybe in the future; apparently it is expensive...?

Rats!!! Looks like I might need to wait then. I've got another round of smog certification coming up in about nine months. Mark B.!! Can you help me out here?!
biggrin.gif

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

Originally posted by H-carWizKid:
The problem was explained to me like this..

The chromoly being used to create the supercharger is VERY hard. Because the metal is so hard the machine shop building the supercharger was breaking tools (the tool is inexpensive to replace, I was told $8.00) so rather than break more tools, the shop "cut a corner"
eek.gif
, and the edge created caused problems with the shaft.
mad.gif
The whole problem will be cured by having the parts correctly machined to Mark Basch's specs. This is not catastophic, and can be easily corrected.
smile.gif

Well, hcarwizkid is almost exaclty correct. I didn't think anyone paid that close attention to my explanations. <g> The fact is that the shafts were not cut exactly correct, and for the reasons wizkid explained. The new shafts are being ordered from the manufacturer (Thomson Shafts) with the keyways already cut, but more important the couplers which join the shaft to the SC are being replaced with flexible couplers so that if there is a misalighnment caused by any other factors we cannot foresee, it will be a non-issue. Fact is, I worried about the rigid couplers all along and the flexible units were ordered before NSXPO (they are custom sizes) but not ready in time. They are due in today and the whole fleet of 5 beta testers retrofitted by tomorrow.

But, as whizkid also points out, MOST importantly, is the fact that nothing goes out the door untill I am 100 percent satisfied with the durability testing. I am taking orders, and letting my two dealers take orders, because the demand has been so great, that it makes more sense to me to take names on orders now and collect them in an orderly fashion, rather than keep turning peole away and creating an order frenzy when the curtain goes up. "Frenzy" you ask?? Yes, its the only word I can use. I returned from NSXPO with a list of calls to return a mile long. I already have more than the 30 orders I was going to install myself. The first production run has been upped to 50 units instead of 30, but they will sit, and SIT, untill I am happy with the total miles and total reliability of the beta testers. (If there is anybody in the Phoenix area who wants to do some driving for us, please speak up. At least two of the testers are being / will be driven almost around the clock)

To clarify the current sales / ordering situation, as there has been some confusion,
Dali Racing and Science of Speed are both dealers for this product. You can place an order now without a deposit if you like, and all orders are timed and dated regardless of who takes the order. Once the beta period is over, and I suspect that will be sometime in November if we have no more suprises, everybody who has placed an order will be notified of the pending install schedule. If you want to get on the install schedule at that point, a deposit will be required. I suspect that at that point your install will probably be about 3 to 4 weeks away. When your deposit is received, Jane will call and confirm your install date. For now, installs are available only in Phoenix and SanDiego.
Once we get caught up, probably in February, we will be able to start considering site installs again. For now though, site installs cost me too much extra down time, and I really have to do what satisfies the most people the quickest.
And as to all the questions about east coast installs, I mentioned an east coast dealer I was talking to. This dealer is in the New York area but we have not reached an agreement yet, only as I have not yet established their level of quality to my satisfaction. I have since been contacted by four or five other dealers in the Chicago area, Texas, San Francisco, and Florida who want to be on the list of approved install dealers. Each of these dealers has at least two cars they want done, so the plan is to start my site installs at these dealers, do the two cars with their techs, and teach them as we go.

I would also like to say that I am both awed and humbled by the reception my product has recieved from the NSX community as a whole.
I have worked on this long and hard hours and am continuing to do so in order to assure the highest quality product. Its nice to be appreciated. Keep those cards and letters coming. <BG>

Cheers,
Mark

SuperCharge for World Peace

Originally posted by NSXTech:
Originally posted by H-carWizKid:
(If there is anybody in the Phoenix area who wants to do some driving for us, please speak up. At least two of the testers are being / will be driven almost around the clock)

Hey I'm in San Francisco and don't mind doing testing for u
smile.gif
How bout installing a beta in my car and let me beat the crap out of it in the track?

FYI, cars in California are required by the DMV to be tested for smog emissions (NO, CO, HC) once every 4 years. If you do not have your car tested and passed, you are not issued a new registration tag that must be attached to your rear license plate that is monitored by police who ticket offenders. In CA many aftermarket modifications of engines are deemed legal because they have been certified after review by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). Chris (Science of Speed) kindly sent me the CARB website, which lists all approved parts for particular cars. There are dozens and dozens of approved superchargers and turbochargers, etc. for hundreds of different kinds of vehicles, which have been given CARB certification, including the Comptech supercharger specified for the NSX.

Like many Californians I am very interested in buying a supercharger, but not if it meant that I would have to remove it to pass a simple smog test. I suspect that CARB certification will be a high priority of Mark B.
------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

[This message has been edited by NSXY (edited 25 October 2001).]

[This message has been edited by NSXY (edited 25 October 2001).]

Ohps, typo! Yes, you guys are correct, it's not every 4 years. CA cars must have smog checks at 2-year intervals, as a requirement for registration. I just called DMV to confirm.

Although there are some guys running smog stations, who will pass anything if you grease their palms, I'm not interested in that back water dealing. I've been through that stuff before, when I bought a primo 79' Jaguar XJ12L that had just been converted with a grunt, balls-torque, mega Corvette engine and GM 400 auto tranny. The car weighed a lot, but it caught scratch when shifing into 2nd gear. It was amazing. But when I had to deal with the smog check, the conversion mechanic said his buddy would make it pass: "Don't worry, just give me 50 bucks, and it'll pass" he said. It gave me the creeps.

Two years ago, when I was first looking around to buy my first exotic supercar, I expected to find only emissions-belching gas-guzzlers from Italy. I was thrilled to find that Acura had designed a smog-legal NSX (in all states), without additional CA-smog equipment necessary.

When I bought my NSX, I bought peace of mind.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

Actually, you bring up a good point regarding removing the supercharger belt. The nice thing about the BaschBoost is that one can quickly remove the supercharger belt and replace the factory belt. However, it is my understanding that in California, the car must pass a 'visual' inspection as well.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

I was unable to go to NSX Expo and see it there, but I just finally saw an installed one in Mark B.'s red car at the Area 5.1 site in Poway/San Diego.

OHMIGOD!! It's gorgeous!!!

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

[This message has been edited by FuryNSX (edited 27 October 2001).]

I have a turbo charged NSX I run 8lbs of boost on pump gas and it makes power from the word go,it has over 300ft-lbs of torque at 4700 rpm and over 350hp at 5200 rpm and keeps on going up till it hits 322ft-lbs of torque at 5500 rpm and 385 hp at 7500 rpm.I have nothing against SC's but I like the sound of the turbo's spooling up and the feel of being planted in the seat.

Back