• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DanO's Winter Project

Originally posted by sjs:
DanO, grab a Dremel and finish the job. You can easily and safely remove the larger remaining casting seams. A flexible shaft adapter will make it even easier.

Thanks for the idea! Which sort of attachment should I use? Seems like a buffing wheel would be too soft.

Any of the grinding stones will work. Tray one of the (relatively) larger ones since you're working with aluminum. If you don't have a high speed grinder like a Dremmel, get a (relatively) small stone for your drill. Don't be tempted by the steel bits, the stones are what you need.

A possible word of caution here. I worked for many years in the aviation industry. Grinding stones were never used with Aluminum. The soft metal will load up into the porous surfaces of the stone and make it susceptible to fragmenting like shrapnel. The recommend method for grinding the metal was to use a emery cloth grinding wheel/disc. With the Dremel, I would consider the emery drums.

Caution at 25k rpm is always a good thing! But I've spent many hours using small stones on aluminum heads and manifolds. Sure, they sometimes load up a bit but I've never had one fragment. The alloy used for heads is generally pretty hard and the amounts you're taking of in a case like this very small. If the stone starts to load up you can just run it against the corner of something steel for a second to clean it off. If not, you may have picked the wrong stone. Emery drums are OK too, but they don't last long and I find they aren't as easy to work at tough angles.

So, I would get a couple of each and experiment with them.

Finally finished the project up yesterday and went out for a spin. Wow! The car is running GREAT! Nice and smooth—and plenty fast. Funny thing, before the project, my car would make a somewhat loud Tick, Tick, Tick… when idling (it has since I bought it). Now the “tick” sound is quite a bit quieter.

Thanks for all the help and info this forum and its members have provided!

DanO

I'm particularly impressed by the injector cleaning stats. I just wish I knew what all those numbers meant.

Did you take this project on yourself (disassembly/assembly) or di you have a shop handle it for you?

Back