• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dash panel removal under steering column

Hello fellow NSX owners.

I need some help. I own a '91 that has loose upholstery on the bottom edge of the panel that sits just below the steering column. This is the same panel that goes around the ignition switch. I was planning on removing this panel and re-attaching the upholstery with adhesive. I was able to find two set screws on the bottom edge just next to the plastic panel that holds the floor light. When I removed these screws, I was still not able to remove the panel because it was still somehow attached on the top end. Due to a limited amount of viewing space, I was not able to see where the panel was attached on the top. I did not want to pull it out too far either because I was afraid of breaking something. :eek:

Can anyone tell me how this panel is attached at the top so I can then remove it without fear of breaking anything? I thought of trying to re-attach the upholstery while the panel was still in place, that however turned out to be more trouble than it was worth due to limited work space. Thanks for all feedback you can give. :biggrin:

John
'91 Red/Ivory

Sometimes it just takes an act of God to remove it. There is really not a whole lot more you can do other than pull really hard toward you. There are 2 clips, one on each side that hold it in place. I removed this panel on 2 02+ cars and it was just a PITA each time. I tried to get at the clips with some special curved tools and it just didn't help. Eventually after enough pulling, it just came out. Your fingers will hurt, you will curse, but if you keep at it, it will come out.

The only suggestion I have is just work on one side. Try to wiggle it out. Once you get one side, the other side is easy. I believe you should start on the left side.

Do what Malibu suggested. It's a PITA, but you have pull, pull, pull and slowly it will start to release enough for you to get a feel for how much more you have to pull.

Pull until you feel you are going to break it. It's a mofo to get off, even with tools on the clips to make them come out easier. Someone had a sense of humor when designing them :biggrin:

I am so glad to see this thread, as I was going to ask the same question. Does anyone have suggestions on the proper way to reattach the upholstery? Judging from the piece under the glove box, it looks like the leather or vinyl was just stapled on. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the great information and links from previous posts. I did a search under "dash panel removal" but was not able to find any information that matched my dilemma. Had I known to use the word "bolster" I would have found the necessary information through the search option.

Now I have the confidence to do this job, hopefully this weekend. Thank you again for all the feedback. :biggrin:

John
'91 Red/Ivory

Back