• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interior Door Handle Pull - Please Help an Idiot

I am installing the SOS replacement door handle + levers. The actual handle broke and not the lever so I needed the relacement handle and thought I might as well do the levers while I was at it. I didn't realize until too late that I was supposed to keep the "threaded plate from factory door pull" to transfer to the new billet door handle pull. I destroyed one of mine. Is it at all possible to get this tiny part, or do I have to buy an entire factory door handle assembly??

FYI I destroyed mine by breaking off (or otherwise corrupting) the screws in the loctite-coated threads. There's nothing to grab onto. Photo attached.

Any help would be appreciated!

PXL_20230923_180001837.jpg

Update. There were a couple of smaller threaded plates I could salvage from the other handle, as they are not used with the replacement handles. If that's confusing I'm sorry ;-)

Anyway it's not correct, and that will but me, but the handle is back in the car and working, at least for now. My wife can now get out of the car without my help!

If you want to try to rehabilitate the original plate, I suggest two options.

First option. Search around and you can find micro screw extractors. This does require that you drill a small hole to fit the micro extractor. After drilling the pilot hole for the extractor, heat the plate to around 250 C (propane torch) which will soften the loctite bonding compound and make removal with the extractor easier. The plate appears to be an aluminum or zinc alloy casting so it will expand more than the steel screw which will facilitate the release. From the uneven appearance of the break, getting a drill started for the pilot hole is going to be a nightmare so I suggest the following

Second option. As best you can, flatten the broken remains of the old screw so that you have a reasonable surface to drill on (something the bit does not want to walk all over the place on) and then drill out the remains of the old screw with a slightly undersize drill. Then try tapping to fit a new correct replacement screw. You may need to drill slightly oversize and tap to fit a larger than original screw.

Out there option. If you were quick like a bunny you might be able to tack a small welding rod onto the end of the screw. You can find welding sticks down to 1/16". No idea what settings you would use to try this. If you get the rod to stick to the screw without melting the plate, heat the plate to soften the loctite and use the rod to unscrew the broken screw.

Either option is going to be gnarly and likely involve some colorful language.

If you want to try to rehabilitate the original plate, I suggest two options.

First option. Search around and you can find micro screw extractors. This does require that you drill a small hole to fit the micro extractor. After drilling the pilot hole for the extractor, heat the plate to around 250 C (propane torch) which will soften the loctite bonding compound and make removal with the extractor easier. The plate appears to be an aluminum or zinc alloy casting so it will expand more than the steel screw which will facilitate the release. From the uneven appearance of the break, getting a drill started for the pilot hole is going to be a nightmare so I suggest the following

Second option. As best you can, flatten the broken remains of the old screw so that you have a reasonable surface to drill on (something the bit does not want to walk all over the place on) and then drill out the remains of the old screw with a slightly undersize drill. Then try tapping to fit a new correct replacement screw. You may need to drill slightly oversize and tap to fit a larger than original screw.

Out there option. If you were quick like a bunny you might be able to tack a small welding rod onto the end of the screw. You can find welding sticks down to 1/16". No idea what settings you would use to try this. If you get the rod to stick to the screw without melting the plate, heat the plate to soften the loctite and use the rod to unscrew the broken screw.

Either option is going to be gnarly and likely involve some colorful language.
Thanks for the info! The approaches are beyond my skills and equipment but I do appreciate the suggestions. If I do decide to go any further I'll hand it over to somebody better equipped!

Back