• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Data request...please post your transmission serial number & year

I would buy a spare case before they go NLA. If your transmission goes out then you have a paperweight for a car.

Once the supply of MT transmissions are gone one would have to revert to an AT or pioneer using another make/model of transmission.

My snap ring went at 120k miles.

This document is great thanks Drew. Considering that I have a chance out of 7 to a possible failure, I am considering to open for inspection for peace of my mind. Do you know if Honda ever confirmed the correct dimension for the snap ring groove machining in the transmission case? If I get this information, I can have a check with a calibrated machined shim due to the impossibility to take a proper measurement.

Just buy a new case and keep it in reserve: issue solved, pending actual failure.

Order up a new case, keep it, and drive your car.

Honda confirmed nothing, there isn't a lot of information, and problems were taken care of by Honda as they occurred. You are looking for something that doesn't exist. The transmission casing was cast by YSK in Japan, so I recommend you take up your quest with them, and good luck with that. I suspect Honda doesn't know and had YSK build and warranty the transmissions.

The snap ring fits tightly even on a bad case. At one of the group meets a depth gauge had been made, several cars were examined, and there were no discernible differences on any car that was "tested". I watched the whole process and decided it was too imprecise as the critical measurement cannot be made from the outside inspection port/edge of the case.

I suspect you are unlikely to determine with any confidence if your existing casing is in or out of spec. Even if you install a new case you probably still can't tell (though I am pretty sure new casings have some number that are black ink stamped on the exterior.

FWIW:

I did your same research when I bought my 1991 in the snap ring range (which failed at ~120,000 miles) some twenty-five years ago. At that time the problem cases were deemed ~1:25 and apparently now ~1:8. I suspect the 1:8 and 1:25 are rather pessimistic as half the NSX production was in 1991/1992 and yet there only appears to be a relative few transmission problems overall.

The car I purchased supposedly had the snap ring repaired and had a genuine independent shop invoice to prove it, but all the shop did was replace the snap ring. It was a big bill too, but wasn't well itemized. It failed and it's obvious because the gear shifter moves back and forth quite a bit. I installed a new casing+bearings+syncros+clutch, and that was that. Not a big deal because I could get the parts.

FYI: When I sold my NSX I handed over records and the old casing with the broken snap ring as proof to the new owner. The new owner was not a car guy and had no idea what I had given him. When he put the car up for sale, all the potential buyers only wanted to discuss the snap ring issue and how to verify it was replaced. It's a big deal. Which is why I recommend you get the new casing engraved at a trophy shop with the invoice number and date of purchase. Few will believe anything else. And if the casing ever goes NLA I can see extreme price reductions made for cars with "risky" transmissions.

Last edited:
Thanks Drew, very useful information and considerations. Yes I am going to buy the components, this is definitely the best solution.

Also keep in mind that all 1991 and most 1992 transmissions were cut with the same 3-piece tool bit. I suspect this is why even cases that are outside the official range are still failing. To my knowledge, there have been no failures of cases that were cut with the updated single-piece tool bit, which was used on 1993+ cases, including the 6-speed cases.

Back