• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Detailed interior shots

I'm also quote excited about the options list but hoping they don't try to price it like ferrari. It's pretty clear that the carbon stuff is a must have. I'd like to know if the carbon roof is for appearance or if it actually reduces the weight.

I'd imagine, unless theyre absolutely retarded, its functional, many other cheaper vehicles have had CF roofs

lol this car is going to flop so hard

Has anyone noticed (not that its a huge deal, im just trying to stay hopeful for more changes) that the start/stop button are in different places in these pics. one has it in the center of the big knob in the middle and others have it right of the steering wheel...

Has anyone noticed (not that its a huge deal, im just trying to stay hopeful for more changes) that the start/stop button are in different places in these pics. one has it in the center of the big knob in the middle and others have it right of the steering wheel...

On newer cars it is located to the right of the steering column.
20497630576_19cd12c032_b.jpg

On newer cars it is located to the right of the steering column.
20497630576_19cd12c032_b.jpg

o cool, then this is proof that as time passes it becomes more boring like every other car on the road and less exotic-y

There were complaints from people saying they'd mistake it for the radio power button and cut the car on/off accidentally. Can't please everyone eh.

There were complaints from people saying they'd mistake it for the radio power button and cut the car on/off accidentally. Can't please everyone eh.

That has probably more to do with the design than the placement. In the car they showed at the Detroit auto show, they used the power symbol that is typically associated with computers and electronics:

cuowewW.jpg

So it's no wonder people are confused. That button could easily be something that would turn off the screen/radio.

This is what a typical engine start/shutoff button looks like. Note how it explicitly says, "Engine start/stop" rather than a vague "power" which is more typical of an electronic device.
G6Xvb25.jpg

So all Honda has to do is change the appearance of the button to something that resembles a typical engine start button and people won't make a mistake. To me, the placement is fine and looks a lot better than having it shoe-horned onto the dashboard beside the steering wheel.

Last edited:
Possibly one concern would be that the button would be just as accessible to the passenger as the driver. You wouldn't want someone who is unfamiliar with your car shut it off accidentally while they thought they were adjusting the radio. On the other hand, you would think that the button would be disabled if the car is moving or placed in gear. Has anyone with a pushbutton start tried to shut off their car while driving just to see what (if anything) happens?

typically you need to be in park and or have brake pedal pressed to have shutoff activated

That has probably more to do with the design than the placement. In the car they showed at the Detroit auto show, they used the power symbol that is typically associated with computers and electronics:

cuowewW.jpg

So it's no wonder people are confused. That button could easily be something that would turn off the screen/radio.

This is what a typical engine start/shutoff button looks like. Note how it explicitly says, "Engine start/stop" rather than a vague "power" which is more typical of an electronic device.
G6Xvb25.jpg

So all Honda has to do is change the appearance of the button to something that resembles a typical engine start button and people won't make a mistake. To me, the placement is fine and looks a lot better than having it shoe-horned onto the dashboard beside the steering wheel.

I think you make a great point here. I was pretty disappointed when I noticed that button missing from the IDS rotary dial. Putting it there seemed special, exotic and logical. While I agree that they could pretty much solve the problem by changing the label, I think they may have struggled with knowing what else to label it with since there are both motors and an engine. Power seems to be a broader term that would have encompassed both. Perhaps they should have called it "Thrust" or "Energy". (I like thrust.) Or maybe even a symbol of an engine or even an explosion:

images
if it can be done without looking cheesy.

Also, I don't think it would be something the passenger would be messing with and agree that it could have been locked out when the car is moving.

Last edited:
Okay I've read this whole thread. My God the gnashing of teeth over the interior is almost hilarious. There are countless articles from the early yours of Gen1 that complain about how plain the NSX interior was but, within the same statement applauded how everything was simple and within easy reach to the driver so his attention could be focused on the road. And the re-reviews of the car say though plain and a little dated it doesn't detract from the driving experience and some even still applaud it's simplicity. How many cars that are 25 yrs old even have a decent interior to begin with?

I got to sit in the car pictured in this thread with the sensor wires taped all over the dash and IMO, like the exterior, it looks better in person. It has the same philosophy that was incorporated in Gen1. That is that the interior should be comfortable and ergonomically designed for the ease of driving. In other words, it should be invisible once you are driving the car even at long distances. I'm sure part of the long distance road trip testing will include interior performance as well. I think there will be subtle changes before next spring. For example, one of the engineers said that the cup holder situation is still not good. So that shows me that they are looking for these types of flaws. However, when I sat in the car it felt incredibly familiar. The view forward is just like Gen 1 and the seating position is identical. And everything is within reach so after a few minutes of driving I would imagine you'd not have to search much for the control you are looking for. The view to the rear is not good compared to Gen 1 and the door seals hang a little low probably due to some structural requirement that allows for the narrower A pillars. But overall, the car is going to offer Hyper car technology for just under Ferrari 488 pricing with "at least" 458 performance.

IMO, the interior is second to the car's performance. Like our cars, the interior shouldn't get in the way of trying to drive the car to the limits. Only time will tell. The rest is just speculation.

Attachments

• IMG_1752.jpg
    IMG_1752.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Thanks for the nice analysis. I think there tides will change once the car is out and about. I've been in shock at the amount of negativity for years now considering how positive the rest of the forums are.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you that the new placement is unique and rare/exotic. However consider this. If they moved the clutch pedal elsewhere, or the steering wheel was completely electronic and was steer-by-wire, there would be a lot of old-school purist that complained just as they're are plenty of are upset about no clutch pedal at all already. So I don't think a simple text-ladden red button will remedy the issue even if half of the NSX production is probably going to English speaking countries.

My Q5 and A5 both have their starter buttons in the centre console. Nothing exotic about it!

Yes, exotic and unique/novel sometimes get mixed up. Even though the position of the start button was higher than Audi's placement on the center console, I'm sure there will be plenty that try to claim that Honda is copying Audi, so that's another reason why I'm not a big supporter of the start button on the IDS knob.

Yes, exotic and unique/novel sometimes get mixed up. Even though the position of the start button was higher than Audi's placement on the center console, I'm sure there will be plenty that try to claim that Honda is copying Audi, so that's another reason why I'm not a big supporter of the start button on the IDS knob.
the start button for my audis are on the flat section of the center console, this is different than most other manufacturers. my fav starter of all time still goes to mercedes with it on the shift knob, unique and logical

What do you mean by door Seals hanging low?

Maybe I worded it wrong. But the seals where the door windows meet the roof. If you look in the picture, they are really thick and I'm having to lower my head to see below them to look up at the camera. I'm 6 ft. so someone taller would have more of a problem. It's not a big deal. Just something I noticed. Headroom seemed good though.

Looking at the latest interior shots, I sure hope they improve the shape of the top of the dashboard just above the instrument panel. It doesn't flow right and seems unfinished to me. It makes me think one of those old leather calendar holders got slapped onto the dash especially with that rather crude corner that was not in the prototype (image below for comparison, red leather altered)...

calendar.png

Looking at the latest interior shots, I sure hope they improve the shape of the top of the dashboard just above the instrument panel. It doesn't flow right and seems unfinished to me. It makes me think one of those old leather calendar holders got slapped onto the dash especially with that rather crude corner that was not in the prototype (image below for comparison, red leather altered)...

calendar.png
yesssss another thats on the same wavelength, nothing flows in the interior right now. theres no theme and no good materials to make up for it. this has been my number 1 problem

Looking at the rest of the angles of the interior, it actually matches the motif even if it looks stranger than the typical curve.

Back