• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DeTomaso Pantera SI

Agreed...but then so was the Tomcat (by modern standards)...so my days are numbered!

LOL I hope not.......stay safe......:cool:

I would like to get in touch with the current owner of the Pur Gold Pantera. I am writing an article for Autofans.be, based on an article I found in a 1984 Chrom und Flammen (Dutch version) magazine, where they claimed John Lennon was the owner, right before he was killed in NYC. I don't think this story is true, but I'd like to see it confirmed...

popcorn.gif

Still possible to get into a respectable Pantera for $25k-$35k... :confused:

Namely, one that isn't Concours nor is it a ghetto-garage primer-bondo special. Basically, same criteria as an NSX.

Always wanted one in terms of classic/vintage muscle+Italian addition, but seemingly once I have the time & means, they may be scarce(r)!

Personal note. It is 1974 and I have saved $10K and I am deciding to purchase either a Lotus Europa or a Pantera. The Pantera is slightly more expensive at I believe $12K. I elect to buy the Europa as I can pay cash. At first, it seemed like a good idea. The Lotus was fun to drive. However, it was ALWAYS being repaired and hardly a month would elapse that the car was not in the shop.
I wonder how my fate would have been with a Pantera? I heard stories over heating and window issues.

Thoughts anyone?

MY BIL had a Europa too, he was bringing it to the shop every week. It became too much of an expense so it forced him to learn how to fix the car himself. After a while I think he enjoyed tinkering and fixing it. Ha.

Personal note. It is 1974 and I have saved $10K and I am deciding to purchase either a Lotus Europa or a Pantera. The Pantera is slightly more expensive at I believe $12K. I elect to buy the Europa as I can pay cash. At first, it seemed like a good idea. The Lotus was fun to drive. However, it was ALWAYS being repaired and hardly a month would elapse that the car was not in the shop.
I wonder how my fate would have been with a Pantera? I heard stories over heating and window issues.

Thoughts anyone?

My father warned me not to buy a British sports car. I was too young to listen. My mechanics at the time built a new wing on their home with the money I spent on repairs.

Thoughts anyone?

Steve,
I was down at Miramar/San Diego looking at Jag XJSs, Lotus Esprits, and Panteras...
I "Forrest Gumped it" on the Pantera in 1986. Mine has been my most reliable car. Ther AC doesn't work anymore BUT I have driven it across country (non-stop to Pensacola, 36+15) with no drama (it DOES NOT like sitting in traffic) and left it on a trickle charger for weeks and it have never failed me.
This was my first specialty vehicle and the positive experience has fueled my passion for 28 years...and its not available!

Steve,
I was down at Miramar/San Diego looking at Jag XJSs, Lotus Esprits, and Panteras...
I "Forrest Gumped it" on the Pantera in 1986. Mine has been my most reliable car. Ther AC doesn't work anymore BUT I have driven it across country (non-stop to Pensacola, 36+15) with no drama (it DOES NOT like sitting in traffic) and left it on a trickle charger for weeks and it have never failed me.
This was my first specialty vehicle and the positive experience has fueled my passion for 28 years...and its not available!

I think life is just full of questions about the road NOT traveled. It is likely a part of our DNA to wonder what would have happened IF? What year is your Pantera? What no AC in NC are you crazy?

I think life is just full of questions about the road NOT traveled. It is likely a part of our DNA to wonder what would have happened IF? What year is your Pantera? What no AC in NC are you crazy?
I am originally from Florida.
I never needed AC in San Diego.
I have other cars with AC when needed.
I dress for the conditions when I drive the Pantera...and I drive her all year round (winter is great, Summer is okay).

Wish I would have bought the Pantera in 1974 - Regret.

Too bad your not closer we could trade cars for a week. I have kept my 77 450 SL for nearly as long as you have kept your Pantera. If you were to sell your Pantera what do you think would be a realistic selling price? Not a dream price, but a selling price?

Too bad your not closer we could trade cars for a week. I have kept my 77 450 SL for nearly as long as you have kept your Pantera. If you were to sell your Pantera what do you think would be a realistic selling price? Not a dream price, but a selling price?
I had a 76 450SL (in the early 90s) and loved it.
As for your question about Pantera $s...I'll ask my widow.
Frankly, I would be afraid to put a $ out because somebody migth take me up on it. I always wanted to do bundle of snakes and engine mods BUT now the car seems to be worth more left close to original. I think the market value would be $60+k but I have had it for 30 years and the joy I get is probably closer to $100k.
I have a BMW 850i that my wife prefers I get rid of :)

My query was motivated purely on curiosity having not followed the resale value in these many years. Not really interested in buying another car until I have more garage space. Never really liked BMW's. Love to chat with you sometime if you have the time and interest?

Pantera sold this week.

Last edited:
Back