• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DeTomaso Pantera SI

I bought a new '72 leftover from Ford Motor Co in late '73. I loved it and did lots of stuff with and to it. Gary Hall was just starting out and I bought headers, radiator and fans and Gr4 suspension. Built the Cleveland to 465 hp and would run 13.1@107 mph at the track (using only 1,2,3 gears. The ZF 4&5 are both OD and the 3-4 spacing is not the best in either case for the traps, you're either too high rpm or too low) and actually ran 175 mph one day with the modified engine that would turn 7500 rpm. Blew a Ferrari Daytona away in an impromptu drag race at Elkhart Lake during some lapping they allowed during a break in the June Sprints. My wife (then girlfriend) had a blast and we took lots of road trips in the car which was very reliable and after my tweaking never had any problems at all. Whenever that V8 litup behind your right ear you couldn't help but smile. Sold it and bought a Cobra a few years later and the guy I sold it to crashed it. Don't know if it was ever rebuilt, I still remember the serial number, THPNMCO 3552. He had attended a driving school during the winter and when he took the Pantera out in the spring and tried to play race driver with it without getting used to it again it bit him. The car was very stable in the Gr4 trim, but would still bring the rear around if you got too far out of line. Fit and finish were usual Italian for the era and crappy European (mostly Russian) steel plagued many European makes of that period with rust. Ergonomics weren't that bad but the driver foot offset to the inside meant you drove sitting a bit crooked. Flash forward and the kids are mostly not around anymore and the wife says "remember how much fun we had in the Panters, maybe you should look for something again and we could do some road trips like we used to". Now you know why I have stayed married to that woman. Looked at lots of cars and settled on the NSX, bought my '94, made (and continue) the mods I wanted to put some edge back into the car without the nasty oversteer and it's been great ever since. Similar feel and performance with light years better handling, fit and finish and ergonomics. Thought about getting another Pantera many times but decided to keep the wonderful memories and take advantage of 20 years automotive advance.

That's a nice write-up, troca. Since 1972, seems like you've been lucky to have two special ladies in your life- the obvious one and the one that needs air in its tires. :biggrin:

Well, I took the plunge on a deal I could not pass up. Aside from my not so ideal current situation, I bought a Pantera. Not just any Pantera, but the infamous "Purgold" Pantera know for years among the Pantera community. It has not been delivered yet as I am still going through the documentation process. It is bold and gaudy. However, one look at that outrageous engine bay and I was smitten. I'll put up another post once I take possession.

Here are a few pics...

PureGold44.jpg

PureGold57.jpg

PureGold54.jpg

PureGold16.jpg

So how much metal polish will you go through each year:eek:

F N Awesome!!!!! girls are going to throw their panties at you just for a ride......Pimp my Pantera.......yea baby yea!!!!:cool:

If you keep it I would blackout the exterior gold except the engine......All bullshit aside it really is a great looking car.....enjoy!!!!!:cool:

Still love this car and your purchase looks like a show stopper.

How can a car be so hideous and so beautiful at the same time? :confused:

I absolutely love it, but it makes me gag a little. Change the paint to a gloss black and keep the gold. Can anybody give me a photoshop of how that would look?

How can a car be so hideous and so beautiful at the same time? :confused:

I absolutely love it, but it makes me gag a little. Change the paint to a gloss black and keep the gold. Can anybody give me a photoshop of how that would look?

Kinda like Pamela Anderson?:cool:

I dont know why, but this car is really cool.......I like the looks of the black one better, but that gold motor is off the hook!!!! Maybe get some fake gold teeth caps to match......:cool:

me thinks you need to dress up like Gold member from the Mike Meyers film genre when you exit that thing:eek:

Sex pure:cool: sex

pantera.jpg

This black GT5S belongs to a local guy named Jan. This is one of three Pantera's he owns, all highly modded and tastefully so. This black one is his favorite which Jan refers to as his Hall Ultra Pantera.

I expect to take ownership by the middle of next week. While I have seen many photos of Purgold, I will reserve judgment on whether to make any changes to the car until I see it in the flesh, err metal.

Here's a pic of Jan's red 1973 Pantera conversion to a GT5S. I took this pic from attending the Belmont Shore Classic Car Show this past Sunday. Simply stunning!

Jans1973redGTS.jpg

Back