• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DeTomaso Pantera SI

I ran into this car while surfing the net....after reading it briefly, I think this is something I like to try one day soon. Granted, it's almost as old as me :tongue: But similarly to the NSX, it still looks beautiful!!!

dtrpansi9609a.jpg

dtrpansi9625b.jpg

dtrpansi9625a.jpg

Always loved this car but I have never seen this model or version of it before. This reminds me alot of the BMW M1 with its styling cue

Last edited:
I've never seen that body on a Pantera. That's not an improvement over the original IMO. Looks bloated.

But I do love the original Pantera. If I had the room for extra cars, that would be an A-list car.

I've never seen that body on a Pantera. That's not an improvement over the original IMO. Looks bloated.

But I do love the original Pantera. If I had the room for extra cars, that would be an A-list car.
+1 - the original pantera was bitchin'.

I thought I was in the wrong forum for a second!
The SI is cool but extremely rare. I do not think it was ever imported into North America...but someone "converted" an early Pantera.

There are a few NSX/Pantera guys here. Virtually the same size, weight, hp, etc...but MILES apart in their feel/function.

Attachments

• Pantera NSX stacked rear qtr flash.JPG
    Pantera NSX stacked rear qtr flash.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,692
I prefer the GTs or GT5 version of the Pantera. The Si tends to look a bit soft.

It's definitely a sweet car! If you can find one at a descent price.

modelpicture.php

gt5f.jpg

dtrpangt509517a.jpg

Last edited:
Panteras are just plain bad ass.......Almost bought one years ago. Should have done it.....:cool:

It was.

Unless you were stuck in traffic with the damn thing overheating and the shifter out of adjustment and the cassette deck eating your tapes and the heat baking you like a Christmas ham...
wow - you had cassettes? i never upgraded from 8 track! :eek:

Don't get me wrong. It was a cool car, but it was an ergonomic nightmare.

And they overheat almost as soon as you start them!

Are you sure you are not talking about my Triumph TR7? It overheated so many times, I could pull the warped head with my eyes closed...POS car the girls loved it...I guess that wedge shape......:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. It was a cool car, but it was an ergonomic nightmare.

And they overheat almost as soon as you start them!

I don't recommend extended stop-and-go traffic on hot Southern summer days...but, in general, the cooling issues have been addressed

Attachments

• Birds of a feather Pantera NSX.jpg
    Birds of a feather Pantera NSX.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,661
A friend of mine had an original Pantera in the early 90's but he said that they are very susceptible to bad rusting in the frame .. which is why he sold his. I remember him saying that it is a known problem so be careful

I absolutley love the Pantera even with the known issues. I remember the car in the mid 70's as my neighbor had this car. I had the oportunity many years ago to buy a '72 Yellow Pantera bone stock 47,000 mile Arizona car for $18,000 but passed on the deal. Now for my punch line, I have long legs and was very uncomfortable in the car and that is why I utimately bought my NSX because they have more leg room plus a targa top. I know members of the local Pantera club and one member removed his seat track and replaced with a fixed frame and gained one inch of leg room. Still not enough leg room for my 6'-2" height.

Last edited:
I've read-up on Panteras for a few months now and plan to buy one some day. As already mentioned, the overheating issues, rust, etc. are simply things either fixed by prior owners or need to be by the next owner. Panteras share some similarities with the NSX- low slung, mid engine, timeless style. Also, modifying them is both fun with many mod options to choose from. Working on a Pantera is also easier and far less costly. I find the 1971-72 year models (pre 'L') just beautiful even with the warts and marginal build quality. One day... :rolleyes:

I heard Elvis hated his so bad, he shot it!!! Be on the lookout for a model with bullet holes, could be valuable!!!!

One thing Panteras have, the NSX doesn't, V8 rumble!!!

The NSX, is much, much, more of a refined car than the Pantera. For a rode trip, or daily driver, there is no question which ones better.

Last edited:
I've read-up on Panteras for a few months now and plan to buy one some day. As already mentioned, the overheating issues, rust, etc. are simply things either fixed by prior owners or need to be by the next owner. Panteras share some similarities with the NSX- low slung, mid engine, timeless style. Also, modifying them is both fun with many mod options to choose from. Working on a Pantera is also easier and far less costly. I find the 1971-72 year models (pre 'L') just beautiful even with the warts and marginal build quality. One day... :rolleyes:

The NSX and Pantera ownership/camaraderie experience is a lot alike.
www.pantera.net

I have always loved Pantera's as well. The sound that comes from those machines is gorgeous. I've never looked into purchasing one, but the prices people are listing makes it seem pretty reasonable. Would definitely have to look up what is necessary for maintenance though.

I bought a new '72 leftover from Ford Motor Co in late '73. I loved it and did lots of stuff with and to it. Gary Hall was just starting out and I bought headers, radiator and fans and Gr4 suspension. Built the Cleveland to 465 hp and would run 13.1@107 mph at the track (using only 1,2,3 gears. The ZF 4&5 are both OD and the 3-4 spacing is not the best in either case for the traps, you're either too high rpm or too low) and actually ran 175 mph one day with the modified engine that would turn 7500 rpm. Blew a Ferrari Daytona away in an impromptu drag race at Elkhart Lake during some lapping they allowed during a break in the June Sprints. My wife (then girlfriend) had a blast and we took lots of road trips in the car which was very reliable and after my tweaking never had any problems at all. Whenever that V8 litup behind your right ear you couldn't help but smile. Sold it and bought a Cobra a few years later and the guy I sold it to crashed it. Don't know if it was ever rebuilt, I still remember the serial number, THPNMCO 3552. He had attended a driving school during the winter and when he took the Pantera out in the spring and tried to play race driver with it without getting used to it again it bit him. The car was very stable in the Gr4 trim, but would still bring the rear around if you got too far out of line. Fit and finish were usual Italian for the era and crappy European (mostly Russian) steel plagued many European makes of that period with rust. Ergonomics weren't that bad but the driver foot offset to the inside meant you drove sitting a bit crooked. Flash forward and the kids are mostly not around anymore and the wife says "remember how much fun we had in the Panters, maybe you should look for something again and we could do some road trips like we used to". Now you know why I have stayed married to that woman. Looked at lots of cars and settled on the NSX, bought my '94, made (and continue) the mods I wanted to put some edge back into the car without the nasty oversteer and it's been great ever since. Similar feel and performance with light years better handling, fit and finish and ergonomics. Thought about getting another Pantera many times but decided to keep the wonderful memories and take advantage of 20 years automotive advance.

Back