• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ding Removal

Went to Dent Wizard in Torrance, CA. Mike Ford was the master tech that worked on my car. I had two small dings which he removed for me. He removed 98 - 99% of the dings. $100 per ding and it took less than an hour.

What impressed me was that they could remove LARGE dents - dents that I wouldn't have thought possible to remove without body work!

They are a chain so you might be able to find one in your area.

I'm very happy with the results, they even had an Internet terminal so I could browse NSX Prime while I waited!

Thanks for the post. Since I swapped my plastic Vette for an aluminum body NSX, I've been more paranoid than ever about door dings. Prevention is still the best approach, but it's great to hear the wizards came through!

I own a Paintless Dent Removal company. I can offer some advice to all that are interested. If you're going to have someone look at your car to possibly fix it, then look for someone that can offer you referrals of dealers they work for or private individuals. Find out how long they have been doing this and how many cars they've worked on. (Part timers have accumulated time but not cars) I have worked on aluminum cars before and it's no problem if the dent is not too big. Usually a dent the size of a baseball and smaller are fixable to 100%. Creases can be fixed as long as it's not to close to an edge. (taillight , the end of the door or fender) Whoever you decide to use, please focus on the quality not the price. Usually you get what you pay for and I run across that constantly. People calling for the low price aren't always concerned about quality. You should do the same. Don't go for the guy that is low balling you or to anxious to fix your car. The best in the business are busy and not waiting around for someone to call them. Kinda like going to a restaurant with no one there, why aren't they busy? Bad service? Food? You get the idea. I've been doing this for 7 years and over 18,000 cars. I can say that I have seen my share of shoddy work, which cannot be re-fixed unless you take it to a bodyshop. Focus on quality, a 100% guarantee(you don't pay unless you are 100% satisfied),and someone who works on the car like it's his own car,as I do.

[This message has been edited by ANYTIME (edited 27 August 2001).]

Originally posted by ANYTIME:
I own a Paintless Dent Removal company. I can offer some advice to all that are interested. If you're going to have someone look at your car to possibly fix it, then look for someone that can offer you referrals of dealers they work for or private individuals. Find out how long they have been doing this and how many cars they've worked on. (Part timers have accumulated time but not cars) I have worked on aluminum cars before and it's no problem if the dent is not too big. Usually a dent the size of a baseball and smaller are fixable to 100%. Creases can be fixed as long as it's not to close to an edge. (taillight , the end of the door or fender) Whoever you decide to use, please focus on the quality not the price. Usually you get what you pay for and I run across that constantly. People calling for the low price aren't always concerned about quality. You should do the same. Don't go for the guy that is low balling you or to anxious to fix your car. The best in the business are busy and not waiting around for someone to call them. Kinda like going to a restaurant with no one there, why aren't they busy? Bad service? Food? You get the idea. I've been doing this for 7 years and over 18,000 cars. I can say that I have seen my share of shoddy work, which cannot be re-fixed unless you take it to a bodyshop. Focus on quality, a 100% guarantee(you don't pay unless you are 100% satisfied),and someone who works on the car like it's his own car,as I do.

Sounds like you know your stuff! Can you tell me your opinion of air-brush touch up on stone nicks/chips, and the process of softening the paint around shallow scratches to sort of flow it back to flat? Specifically I'm talking to an Aero Colours franchise that does work for some of the better new car lots in town.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 28 August 2001).]

Originally posted by sjs:
Sounds like you know your stuff! Can you tell me your opinion of air-brush touch up on stone nicks/chips, and the process of softening the paint around shallow scratches to sort of flow it back to flat? Specifically I'm talking to an Aero Colours franchise that does work for some of the better new car lots in town.

]

I am familiar with Aero Colours. The quality depends on the tech who would be doing the job. Three words to keep in mind: experience, experience and experience. I'm sure there are other companys around doing airbrush touchup. I have seen and had touchup on my vehicles. If you have a bumper that needs to be painted, and the paints the right color, undetectable if the right person does the job. If you are having chips fixed, most of the time, they look BETTER, not perfect. They use a product called Langka
to remove the paint around the chip after airbrushing it.(do a search on Langka here) If you want perfection, go to a bodyshop and have the panel that's damaged repainted. If you want to hide the chips, and make them look better, than have them airbrushed. I touchup my own cars and find it very difficult and time consuming(over a period of days) to get things a close to perfect as possible. I'll save the trips to the bodyshop for crashes and crunches. Hope everything works out for you, John

Originally posted by ANYTIME:
... They use a product called Langka...

Thanks for the response John!

Ah, I have been reading about Langka and didn't realize it was the same thing they would be using. It just sounds like way too much trouble for a DIY job. I have repeatedly asked that they feel free to take extra time to do the very best job possible, but the response always comes back that they always work that way so it isn't a matter of more time for better results. It just sounds too cheap to expect decent results, even though I don't expect perfection.

As for doing the whole panel. that would be the entire car in this case. Literally every major panel was dinged by the idiots, but I don't feel like fighting for an $8k paint job on an eight year old car. Guess I'll roll the dice.

Thanks again!

John (ANYTIME)worked on a couple of dings on my car a few months back. One was on the passenger door, right in the middle, and the other was just below the fuel filler door. After he worked on it, I can't find any trace or evidence of either ding being there.

If you can make it out there to see him, I'd highly RECOMMEND his services!!

Thanks again, John!!

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

Thanks for the compliment Randy. I worked on yours (and everyones elses) as if it were my own car. Glad to hear after the fact that you are happy! Thanks for making my day. Tina says hi to Zena.

I think someone keyed my rear quarter panel the other day. Which appears to have gone deeper than the clear coat. Tried touching it up but still really visible. Does anyone know what I should do? The scratch is about 1 inch long. Can a bodyshop easily touch this up?

Thanks

Depends on the color. With a white car, you can spot paint small parts (if done well) for less and it will blend in. With a black car, forget it... paint the whole section.

I hate reviving old threads... but I'd rather put this question here than create a new one so everthing can get repeated....

Last night I zaino'd my car. This morning, after wiping off the polish I was appalled to notice a quarter size imperfection in the finish on the right door...

Upon close inspection, I couldn't see a depression, but the reflection (from all angles) shows it very vividly. ANYTIME - is there anything your company can do about this.. IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING!

Sig,
It looks like your returning to So.Cal. in January. If you could wait until then, I would be more than happy to fix it for you. Even the slightest dent or wave can be fixed. If you can barely see it, it should be no problem. Private me if you'd like or I can see you(and your car)in January at our CalCoastalNSX meeting in Calabasas. (shameless plug of our club) Let me know!! John

Originally posted by SigEpUCI:
Last night I zaino'd my car. This morning, after wiping off the polish I was appalled to notice a quarter size imperfection in the finish on the right door...

I've noticed this about Zaino. It's great stuff but man does everything really get magnified.

John, I've heard great things about you and would definately love for you to take a look at it. I will private you as January rolls around. Thanks so much! Jeff

Back