• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

dissassembly front suspension

I've got a camber kit from CT engineering and installation requires pulling the ball joints at top/bottom of front hubs.

I know Honda has a special puller for this task, but I'm hoping someone can share a successful back yard technique to separate these ... without damage of course !

You want to find one that looks like this:
07MAC-8L00200.gif

A local auto parts store may have one they can loan you (call to describe exactly what style you need). You also want to use a non castle nut (or flip your stock nut upside down) and run it down until it is flush with the threads on the stud to make sure you don't damage the threads while pressing it. There really is no good way to get them out without that tool. Even a pickle-fork style separator is not a good idea if you want to keep from tearing the boot or damaging the ball joint.

I've got a camber kit from CT engineering and installation requires pulling the ball joints at top/bottom of front hubs.

I know Honda has a special puller for this task, but I'm hoping someone can share a successful back yard technique to separate these ... without damage of course !

Harbor Freight has a similar tool for $17. It worked very well for me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-point-joint-separator-99849.html

Grease the threads well for extra force and remember to put a nut on the stud flush with the top of the threads so you don't damage them.

Gary

I borrowed a separator similar to that Harbour Freight tool, but it was useless because 3/4 between prongs is too small. I've since I measured a front ball joint and it seems a separation of around 30mm (between the prongs) is needed (1"+3/16"). Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I borrowed a separator similar to that Harbour Freight tool, but it was useless because 3/4 between prongs is too small. I've since I measured a front ball joint and it seems a separation of around 30mm (between the prongs) is needed (1"+3/16"). Am I missing something?

It's sounds like that tool may be to narrow. The one I have is ~1' and slides over the shaft on the top of the boot.

Yeah it was too narrow VRoooM. I've finally found another tool, not ideal, but I think it will work. Will post pictures later ... cheers

Back