• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY 2002+ Headlight Fix (Bouncing)

Comtec, thank you. You are a real asset to the nsx community.:smile:

Last edited:
How long would you say it took to fully complete one light? How long did you have before the glue dried, on the removal and install of the clear cover? Im thinking of TRYING to do this to my headlights.

How long would you say it took to fully complete one light? How long did you have before the glue dried, on the removal and install of the clear cover? Im thinking of TRYING to do this to my headlights.

You need to take your time, especially when removing the clear cover. Don't apply too much force separating it from the assembly. I would say allow 1-2 hours to complete each light. The OEM sealer is a really sticky putty that stays pliable. Heating the assembly just softens it. About 10-15 minutes after removing the assembly from heat it will start getting very hard to separate. If it starts getting tough you can put the assembly back in the oven (without turning it on) for a few more minutes.

Have to bring this one back to life as your directions were right on the money and I can't believe how easy this was to do!

I know you haven't posted in a long while so I hope everythings cool and just wanted to say thanks for this thread!

Have to bring this one back to life as your directions were right on the money and I can't believe how easy this was to do!

I know you haven't posted in a long while so I hope everythings cool and just wanted to say thanks for this thread!

been wanting to do this. wingz, did you have any difficulty at all?

I have to do this like... now... did you remove the amber while you were in there? I will.

Your Welcome! I'm glad you found it useful. Yeah man, was with a new lady for the past 8 months and it took all my time. But that's over so i'm back.

Comtec, any updates on how your fix is holding up? I'm starting to get the bounce on my 2005 and am exploring my options now.

Haven't had any issues since i repaired them. I just sent some of the material that i used to another owner having the same problem. If you decide to do it then let me know if you have any problem finding a suitable material.

Mike

What's the material? I need to do this.

You must open your headlight to do the repair and a lot of guys take the advantage to do paint work or other custom stuff to the headlights.

The NSX is an amazing machine but the quality of the headlight internals is horrible compared to the s2000!

We've done over 20+ repairs on NSX owner headlights so take a look here:

http://www.euroboutique.us/store_nsx_boucefix.html

Any questions PM us :)

here's a sample of the custom headlight work:

IMG_2829.jpg

I made mine from .05" 600V, 1400psi cross linked polyolefin adhesive lined sleeves.

Mike
comtec, Thanks again for this thread. I had San Antonio NSX guru Scott Oliver @ HNA Automotive use my car as a Guinea Pig for this fix. Basically I didn't have the nads to do it myself. While he had the car apart I took the opportunity to clean areas of the front end that I wouldn't normally be able to get to. We looked at the material you used but were afraid that over time it might get brittle or compact over time and the problem could return again. Though, I admit we could be wrong and your material could last for centuries since it's sealed up in the headlight assembly. We just didn't want to take the chance of having to do this again. So... we found this in the Home Depot plumbing isle. It is exactly the right thickness, made of silicone, is flat and costs about $6. (We didn't tell them it was for an NSX or the cost would have ballooned to $300...:biggrin:) It has a 5 yr warranty though I doubt they had this use in mind.

Attachments

• 20130514_164058[1].jpg
    20130514_164058[1].jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 20130514_164136[1].jpg
    20130514_164136[1].jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 20130623_145445[1].jpg
    20130623_145445[1].jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 174
Is that a toilet gasket? LOL

This thread is pretty old but thought I would post here, after over 20 sets of NSX headlights ~ we can tell you it has not gotten any easier. We work on a lot of headlights from a lot of cars every year and it seems certain cars are always easier while German cars are always tricky.

The NSX unfortunately falls into the tricky category for some of the reasons mentioned above. The glue Acura uses is one of the hardest to work with since it stays sticky even when cool. You have to be very careful or you will ruin the headlight fast.

Anyways, this is our 21st set so thought I'll post some new pics...

Before:

Internal plastics out (this set is getting custom paint)

Projectors exposed so now you can see the guts:

1/3 headlight mounts that need to be upgraded:

A few tricks and tips we learned over the years:

a) Have extra business cards or other cardboard handy to keep the glue localized

b) Extra pair of hands and large work space helps

c) Have lots of towels since the glue gets everywhere!

d) PATIENCE!

e) This is the best opportunity to do smoked lenses or remove the amber all together!

here's some examples, hope this helps give you guys courage to do your own headlights, any questions let us know :)

If you don't mind me asking, what do you charge to do the fix? I like the LEDs too.

Never mind, I just found your website. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tread.

Hey Everyone: Was wondering if anyone knows how to get another of one of the plastic three clips inside the headlight assembly. One of mine might be slightly bent and I am afraid it will not hold. Could not find a part to order from Honda NSX parts list since the clips are inside the headlight assembly. Would appreciate any help in getting an extra clip. Thank you in advance!

Hey Everyone: Was wondering if anyone knows how to get another of one of the plastic three clips inside the headlight assembly. One of mine might be slightly bent and I am afraid it will not hold. Could not find a part to order from Honda NSX parts list since the clips are inside the headlight assembly. Would appreciate any help in getting an extra clip. Thank you in advance!

Hi,
You will need to check the bolt size and mounting hole size and try to match something up. If it's available these guys might have it. http://socalbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/section_22.pdf

Mike

Back