• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY mini cooper oil change 2006 ?

To change the oil filter do I need a "Special Tool" to get if off? Any thing unusual about it? Jeff

To change the oil filter do I need a "Special Tool" to get if off? Any thing unusual about it? Jeff

oversized metric socket (got mine at sears). first time off can be tough. actually harder to thread the cover back on blindly....sometimes it is easy and other times it seems impossible.
good luck

pt91 is correct about using a metric socket. The mini was one of the most difficult cars to change the oil filter. I changed mine the first time at 1500 miles and said never again. Now I just let the dealer do it. The location of the filter on the rear of the engine is so difficult to reach and can only be accessed from the top. Also the filter is facing down so when you take the filter out all the oil leaks out onto the engine and floor.

So here is what I did.... The local parts store did not have the 34mm ? socket except in a tall 1/2 " drive version. To big to fit in the working space. So I went to Northern Tool to get a fluid pump to suck the oil out and found the perfect tool to get the filter off..
They had a short handle 5' long cresent wrench that opened up to 40MM wide! For $10.00 ! It did fit into the avaiable space and opened wide enough to fit that big ass nut. Just enough leverage and tourque to make it work. Made my day. Jeff

Back