• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DO NOT USE D.A.S. (Dependable Auto Shippers)

I've used Intercity and Reliable in the past with good results. Unfortunately both are pretty backed up... Intercity gave me a 3 week window and Reliable said they couldn't even pick up for 4 weeks.
I decided to go with D.A.S. to ship my car from CA to MI. They said there were no delays and I would have my car within 2 weeks with no problems. So I gave them my CC# (which was charged instantly for the full amount) and had the car dropped off at their "terminal" (I pictured a warehouse of some sort, it turned out to be just a tow yard).
Well it's been 5 days and my nsx is still sitting at the tow yard. I called their customer service and waited 20 minutes (they don't even have music... it just rings and rings) before someone answered. apparently there is a 7 day delay nationwide.
:mad: I asked if i can get a refund and have a different shipper pick up my car. "Sure but you will be charged $50/day for storage at the terminal". :mad: :mad: I call their reservation number (which is answered immediately of course) pretending to be a new customer. I get the same "there are no delays, we can get it to you within 2 weeks no problem". :rolleyes:

I had a bad feeling when they charged me $50 extra (discounted from $100) to have my car loaded on the upper level to ensure nothing drips on to it.... not an issue with other carriers since they use car covers. I should have gone with my gut feeling and went with a different transporter.

Last edited:
Just wait, the pick up in the area is also a tow yard. Also, make sure you have a picture of the car before they load it as with mine, they ripped off the front lip on the air dam, denied it and unfortunately, no picture.

Tim

yup...
i made the mistake of using them to ship my mr2 to california... i should have driven home when i saw the tow yard in virginia that i dropped the car off in. the one person there was a thug (i don't like to use derogatory terms like that but it's exactly what he was). i dropped the car off and flew off to california. it took them 25 days to get the car on a truck. i made numerous statements that i would have a friend come get the car, but they threatened $50 charges and $100 charges. The car was supposed to go via enclosed carrier, but instead was put on an open truck (during winter no less). The car took about 5 days longer than promised to get to california. i was amazed it wasn't beat up in any detectable way!

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with D.A.S. I have never used them, but I know a few other people that did and all had bad experiences with them. I just used Horseless Carriage to ship my Ferrari back to NY from Las Vegas and they are perfect. Enclosed transport was only $1400 and I had the car in 4 days from time of pick up, with only a 2 day lapse from the time I called in an order to the time they picked up the car. I have also used McNutt Auto Transport and On-line Transport with no issues.

You may want to pick up you car and have it transported by someone else, and if they don't give you a full refund, contest the charges with your credit card company. Just a thought ... good luck.

If they have not shipped the car yet get it out of there ASAP! Tell them the $50/day charge is fine with you stop payment with the cc company as soon as the car is clearly out of their hands. The last thing you want is to let them ship it after this kind of treatment, who knows how it will look when it arrives :eek:

If you need help finding another shipper PM me and I can get you some help.

Aaron

too late. i called to work something out and apparently it was conveniently picked up a little while ago and is on it's way to another "terminal" in Carson, CA where it will wait for one of the incoming trucks from out east. i have never heard of a car shipping company that switches trucks en route. how do these yahoo's stay in business???

answer: because of fools like me

new vanity plate: NSX FOOL

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but many here appreciate you letting us know about these clowns. FWIW, I recently used TNT to ship my car from St. Louis to Las Vegas. Made the deal and the car was picked up 4 days later. Total time in transit: 3 days. Car never left the truck except to get some other cars out while enroute. Driver even gave me his cell phone number in case I wanted to check on daily progess.

I beleive DAS is actually a shipping broker... it sounds like they quoted you a price and gave you an early date to get your business... then contacted shippers to make arrangements after they received the car/payment. I have delt with similar companies with bad results, you should always deal direct so you can actually complain to someone who can (in theroy) get things done!

yeah, that's exactly what they are - a broker. Their operation is similar to a U-HAUL or Ryder thing... it's often a side business for a mattress salesperson or a parade float designer. the carson office is a real office though, as with (from what i understand) the jersey office.

Back