• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you guys let your friends drive your NSX

I am kinda hesitant in letting my friends drive my NSX, but sometimes I think that since i am fortunate enough to own one, might as well share the NSX experience.
I think it also depends on who the people driving my car is.

I NEVER valet my car anywhere, I think I dont really trust those high school valet attendees.

I have let most of my friends drive mine...of course i know how well they can drive a stick first. That is my main concern, don't want someone to stall in an intersection or burn up my clutch. They have all been very appreciative.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

The only one I trust to drive my NSX without me being in it is my nephew. I have a navigation system and he's taken it on trips to CT with his girlfriend. They are both in their mid 20's and very responsible. Anyone else that asks, the answer is NO !

I consider it a privilege and an honor to own an NSX. I enjoy sharing that with people I know, because it may be their only chance to have the thrill of driving one of the world's greatest supercars.

Since buying my NSX, I've let over 40 different people drive it, last time I checked. Always with me in the car, though; no one borrows my car.

When I was 16 years old, I used to baby sit for a guy that would buy wrecked exotics and restore them for resale. He let me drive a number of great cars, it was an experience I will never forget. That is why I let others drive my NSX, if they are capable. The only bad experience I had was letting a friend drive the car and when he parked it he ran into the parking block. No serious damage, but he felt terrible and offered to pay for the damage. It is not like I have never done the same thing, so I wasn't at all upset. Normally I am always in the car, but there has been a few instances that I let someone take it out without me.

Go ahead and make someones day, it is worth it!

Sure I let friends drive it I usually know how they drive and I was in the car with them anyway. I even let the little Woman drive it and I was very impressed she didn't have a problem at all.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

I don't let people borrow it, 95% of the time i am in the car, or my fiancee is. I have let a good friend drive it with his girlfriend...i followed behind in their car. I agree with the others, that some people will never have the chance to own a car like this so i don't mind letting them experiance it. My fiancee is the only person who drives my car with out me in it. Made her at first since i wanted her to feel comfortable driving it, she does drive fast once she gets in it though..."My SUV doesn't go like that"

------------------
92 Red/Blk

I let friends drive my NSX on the track. "You break it you buy it" ;-)

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

Sure, all the time...

Nelson Landa drove mine at Sebring for two track sessions the past weekend...

Likewise, I've driven several other NSX which belonged to friends or students at the track...

Coming to think about it...I've never driven the keNSX before...<grin> :)

Andie

[This message has been edited by HomeDepotNSX (edited 13 December 2001).]

I only let close friends drive my car, and friends that I trust and also have a deep appreciation for the car. I have a few friends who does not care for the NSX at all, and I would never let them take it for a test run.

You guys are really nice people. I am the only one that drives this one. The service writer at the Acura dealer wanted to move it the last time I was there. No way. The service tech, Jim ( a close friend of my brother ) is the only one allowed to even sit in it at the dealer.

I'm sorry if I sound ridiculous, but I have always been able to sell my cars at TOP dollar because I'm so anal. (Sold my '93 300 ZXtt for $24K in 2000, paid $30k new). My wife loves to ride in it and has never had a desire to drive it. Of course, if she did, I would have no problem letting her drive it.

------------------
'00 Candy Apple Blue / Black

Well myself being only an "enthuiast" I can give you guys a different view. When I went up VIR 2 weekends ago Jason let me take his NSX around the lot for a short bit. Obviously he knew before hand that I have a lot of "stick" experience but it was still a big favor in my book. It really made my day! So just keep that in mind as you drive your NSX daily
wink.gif

-Seth

------------------
Do we have the power to shape our lives, or are we predestined to be who we are? If our Fate is but one amongst many, then whose life, if anyone's, is real?
If our lives are indeed the sum-total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be.

I agree with NSXTASY. I do the same thing and don't mind letting certain friends to experience the car. They enjoy it and it makes me feel good.
However, only people I feel I can trust driving it and always with me in the car. I was asked once to borrow it... then we all had a hearty laugh.
I have one friend in particular who has driven all of my vettes in the past and the NSX. He actually comes with me for canyon runs and we switch off, the other video taping. We've compiled some excellent videos.
biggrin.gif

I've let most of my friends drive my NSX, usually with me not in the car. I find that if I'm there, they're a little more hesitant to explore what the car can do. One guy I rode with would *not* take the car over 4000 RPM. I practically had to reach my foot over and gas it for him.

I've offered the wife the opportunity to drive it, but she doesn't want to. "It's *your* mistress," she says.

Here's a follow-up question: Have you ever offered someone a drive in your NSX with the hope that they'd reciprocate by offering to let you drive *their car? When I first got my NSX, I tossed the keys to my boss to take a spin around the block. But did he let me drive his Porsche? Noooooo.....

-Bob ('94 #496)

Have you ever offered someone a drive in your NSX with the hope that they'd reciprocate by offering to let you drive *their car?

With the hope? No. But I've proposed it as a package deal...
biggrin.gif

I have let far too many people drive my car. I once let the owner of the local Honda dealer drive it in exchange for a thrashing in his personal S2000.

A few weeks ago my older brother was in town and he's been down on his luck of late so I figured if I let him borrow my nsx for the day. I thought it might make him feel good especially when he went to go pick up his 11 yr. old son from school. Later that day I got a message from a friend on my cell that said he saw me driving like a lunatic on Rt. 78 (New Jersey) and cautioned me to be careful claiming that I must have been going 120 mph weaving through traffic. I informed him that I was at work all day and it was obviously my brother.

That is the last time I will let anyone borrow/drive my car again. After spending time on the track I have a new respect for speed and safety especially in the densely populated state of NJ. Plus he has virtually no experience in high performance driving and only drove the car once before. I informed him that it's never a good idea to get into a car you never drove and go crazy. It's a good thing that the nsx is so safe to drive fast. I'm certain that if it had been a Viper it would be wrecked especially when he told me how he knows if a car handles well. He jerks it from lane to lane at speed. Maybe for Christmas I'll get him a gift certificate to Skip Barber.

I tend to let alot of people drive my car as well, and there are quite a few instances where I was not accompanying them. I can tell you that some of these people will go crazy hitting VTEC when I'm not in it, since I can hear it as they take off, drive around the block, and come back... but I do love to hear it from the outside of the car as a bystander, as much as I enjoy hearing the revs from within.

I have let far too many people drive my car. I once let the owner of the local Honda dealer drive it in exchange for a thrashing in his personal S2000.

A few weeks ago my older brother was in town and he's been down on his luck of late so I figured if I let him borrow my nsx for the day. I thought it might make him feel good especially when he went to go pick up his 11 yr. old son from school. Later that day I got a message from a friend on my cell that said he saw me driving like a lunatic on Rt. 78 (New Jersey) and cautioned me to be careful claiming that I must have been going 120 mph weaving through traffic. I informed him that I was at work all day and it was obviously my brother.

That is the last time I will let anyone borrow/drive my car again. After spending time on the track I have a new respect for speed and safety especially in the densely populated state of NJ. Plus he has virtually no experience in high performance driving and only drove the car once before. I informed him that it's never a good idea to get into a car you never drove and go crazy. It's a good thing that the nsx is so safe to drive fast. I'm certain that if it had been a Viper it would be wrecked especially when he told me how he knows if a car handles well. He jerks it from lane to lane at speed. Maybe for Christmas I'll get him a gift certificate to Skip Barber.

I wonder for people that owns other exotics such as Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Mclarens, etc valets or let their friends borrow their drivable mortgages/houses.$$$$ Would you??? I wouldnt, I will be too paranoid for things breaking, scraping etc. for these super exotics. Kinda remind me of the movie "Ferris Buelers Day Off" where the kid steals his dads Ferrari and valets it.

Since the NSX is super reliable, excellent stability/handling, I am not really that worried about freinds driving it as long as I am in the car. I have let 10 of my freinds drive my NSX.

I'm kind of picky of who drives my car but when I got it four years ago, I let my brother and sister drive the car and they had fun. Later that week I let a good friend drive it but he didn't launch the car correctly and I smelled a little bit of clutch but it wasn't that bad. He said he was sorry about that. Since then, I've haven't offered to let anyone else drive the car.

I had been involved with the Northwest region ever since it was organized in late '95 and at one of our club events we went to a dealer in Los Gatos, CA. I met an NSX tech there that new his stuff and was very very nice to take the time to explain everything he knew about the car. I visited him for more NSX info and advice prior to buying my NSX. I told him that he'll be the ONLY tech to work on my car. I got my NSX in '97 and he's been servicing it all the time. One day I was at his house to visit and I had the NSX with me. His wife had taken the car for an errand and he had to pick up his son. I offered him my car and to go and pick up his son in style. A while later he came back and I haven't seen two more people happier than ever. Both of them had grins on their faces. I thought it was the perfect thank you gift for someone who services my car with the utmost care and diligence. He has driven NSXs before but always on tech runs. This one was for pleasure and I was sure happy to make his day. He's always welcome to drive my NSX with no hesitation on my part.

Vytas

------------------
"The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." - Soichiro Honda

Back