• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does Jay Leno have an NSX?

I posted Leno's (diss) article back in 2005:

Quote from article:
Honda couldn't do it with the NSX, which to everybody was the equal of a Ferrari--it was lighter, faster and it would handle better. But people in 1991 were saying, "I don't want to pay $80,000 for a Honda."

Whole article:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47978

This is the "Diss" :confused:

Seems like the truth to me. Believe it or not in 1991 $80K was a lot of money. We are talking about a time when money was worth something. This car changed people attitude toward the Honda brand. Hell they rode it out for a long time with very little updates. I believe it helped created the Hondas following in the 90's. Now you see them falling off and the new NSX gets pushed. Coincidence I think not. American/European auto makers have stepped up their game Honda is still producing the same boring product. They need to go back to there roots of building innovative ground breaking products. They need to bring back the Type R's of back in the day get people excited to buy a Honda / Acura. There boring to look at, and boring to drive. They are not the Honda of the 90's because of it. An Updated S2K would be a good start.

He also points out how Japanese automakers hide behind there brands as if people cant see threw it. He praised Ford for branding the GT a Ford. I feel he's correct in saying that and it was a good move for Ford. Anyone that is into sports cars can agree when they think Ford they think GT.

Last edited:
This is the "Diss" :confused:

Seems like the truth to me. Believe it or not in 1991 $80K was a lot of money. We are talking about a time when money was worth something. This car changed people attitude toward the Honda brand. Hell they rode it out for a long time with very little updates. I believe it helped created the Hondas following in the 90's. Now you see them falling off and the new NSX gets pushed. Coincidence I think not. American/European auto makers have stepped up their game Honda is still producing the same boring product. They need to go back to there roots of building innovative ground breaking products. They need to bring back the Type R's of back in the day get people excited to buy a Honda / Acura. There boring to look at, and boring to drive. They are not the Honda of the 90's because of it. An Updated S2K would be a good start.

I didn't read it as a diss either. He is very biased with his opinions but he was not really bashing the NSX. He stated himself that the NSX beat Ferrari, but Ferrari still outsold and outshined it essentially as far as the exotic/high-end mid engine market was concerned back then. He then thinks that Ford will do better since they are asking Ferrari pricing for a Ford. Fact is, the Ford GT didn't sell that well either and it really did not beat Ferrari like it did back in the day or even upscaled Ford's image. He then goes on to defend the simplistic tech used by the Ford, where he did touch some merits, but it is still mostly biased opinions.

Honestly, I think if Honda would have asked $90K-$100K for the NSX from the get go, the NSX would have been more famous/popular because the illusion of money paid is equated in the value of what you get in return for many people. People assumed that since it's half of Ferrari's asking price, then it must have compromised something in return. This may be the case for the GTR today, but it was certainly not the case for the NSX back in the 90s.

At least in the quoted article, Jay Leno actually compliments the NSX by saying it performed better than the Ferrari in many ways. He is just saying that the Honda brand name held it back at that price segment.

I don't recall where, but I am sure I saw a video of Jay Leno complimenting the NSX before.

I have watched and read quite a bit from Jay Leno. First he is an ambassador for all gear heads and he is transitioning a lost art to the next generation. I dont necessary have an interest in steam cars and engines but because of him I now appreciate them and can understand the following now.

He doesn't own F-Cars because when he finally got some "F-You"money he had a bad experience at a F Dealership and he just thought the the $ value was way out of wack with the mechanical value that you got. He has mentioned the NSX many times in his discussions as well as comparisons in history of other cars or how it influenced or forces certain brands to step it up. He mentions that the Japanese were sending as shot over the Europeons bow with the introduction of the NSX.

I wish he would review the car in the apgarage but he probably has a list of cars as long as his arm that fit that bill. If we send enough messages maybe he will. Some in southern Cali needs to offer up their ride for him to review and drive. You better know your stuff, spec wise and expect him to do a burn out in it!

While I enjoy watching the garage show occasionally and certainly respect the level of custodianship involved in caring for his cool vehicle collection, I honestly don't care if Jay likes or owns the NSX. I like mine and enjoy driving it. I do give Jay props for helping promote Jarrod Shelby of Shelby Supercars (SSC Aero and Tuatara).

Doesn't terribly surprise me that he doesn't own an NSX and if I was Jay I would quite possibly not bother owning an NSX either - unless it was a collectible one purely to have in my garage for the historical significance the vehicle had on the industry.

One of the most magical things about the NSX is that it can be owned by people who aren't like Jay Leno, but rather run of the mill people out there. You don't need piles of cash or hours and hours out of your life fixing the car. You can simply go in to your garage, turn the key and open a window in to a driving experience that was previously available only to a select few. This is why I own the NSX. I am not a millionaire and not a self taught auto mechanic - I'm just a regular guy who likes driving. I can admire a Ford GT, but quite honestly I am not really interested in owning one because I don't have the finances or time to due the ownership experience properly. To be frank, I am also not a good enough driver to really get the added value out of the car; as I was reminded on a recent twisty hilly road, the NSX pushes my driving skills to the limits and asks more.

Jay Leno on the other hand DOES have the finances and time to own a Ford GT and other extreme exotics like the McLaren F1, so it is completely reasonable that he should devote his dollars to the pursuit of these extreme vehicles.

I don't think that Jay Leno not owning a NSX takes anything away from the majestic vehicle we all know and love around here, it is simply that there is a "right" car for each and every person out there and that "right" is rarely the same.

Doesn't terribly surprise me that he doesn't own an NSX and if I was Jay I would quite possibly not bother owning an NSX either - unless it was a collectible one purely to have in my garage for the historical significance the vehicle had on the industry.

One of the most magical things about the NSX is that it can be owned by people who aren't like Jay Leno, but rather run of the mill people out there. You don't need piles of cash or hours and hours out of your life fixing the car. You can simply go in to your garage, turn the key and open a window in to a driving experience that was previously available only to a select few. This is why I own the NSX. I am not a millionaire and not a self taught auto mechanic - I'm just a regular guy who likes driving. I can admire a Ford GT, but quite honestly I am not really interested in owning one because I don't have the finances or time to due the ownership experience properly. To be frank, I am also not a good enough driver to really get the added value out of the car; as I was reminded on a recent twisty hilly road, the NSX pushes my driving skills to the limits and asks more.

Jay Leno on the other hand DOES have the finances and time to own a Ford GT and other extreme exotics like the McLaren F1, so it is completely reasonable that he should devote his dollars to the pursuit of these extreme vehicles.

I don't think that Jay Leno not owning a NSX takes anything away from the majestic vehicle we all know and love around here, it is simply that there is a "right" car for each and every person out there and that "right" is rarely the same.

I agree!

I think we should try and get a turbo NSX on his show to review. He often does modded cars. His main complaint with the NSX was lack of HP. Let's see how he feels when that argument is gone.

I think we should try and get a turbo NSX on his show to review. He often does modded cars. His main complaint with the NSX was lack of HP. Let's see how he feels when that argument is gone.

Revisiting this topic. With the upcoming 2015 NSX, it seems to me like doing a special on the classic NSX would be appropriate. I also agree that getting a turbo, modded NSX on the show would be great. This car might be a great contender: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/170222-the-ultimate-NSX-street-car

Anyone know how to reach out to Jay?

I know he was offered a NA1 Type R a few months ago and wasnt interested.
That video of the S600 is pretty inspiring!

Jay does, or at least did at one time, have an early model red NSX in his collection. he is also quite a fan of the car. as many people here have noted, he hasn't dissed the car, only said what is (non-NSX biased) general opinion; that is was underpowered and not brand competitive with Ferrari. both of those statements are absolutely correct.

Jay is extremely knowledgeable about virtually every car on the road, and whenever I have seen him in one of my NSX's he always immediately comes right over to check out the car, even though he would have seen it before. he knows as much of the NSX history as anyone, believe me.

I have known Jay a few years and he is an awesome bloke. super friendly, humble and completely down to earth. probably the biggest car nut I have ever come across. he'll for sure have a new NSX when it comes out, if he isn't already promised one that is...

You have to bust on him for his venerable all jeans ensemble....

funny no one is checking out the McLaren F1 behind the NSX!

I was at a local car meet in Menlo Park maybe six months ago, and I got there a little late and so was parked pretty far out. A classic Ferrari parked behind me, and then a McLaren F1. That show was full of exotics and classic Ferraris, but the Big Mac got the most attention by far!

Jay is extremely knowledgeable about virtually every car on the road, and whenever I have seen him in one of my NSX's he always immediately comes right over to check out the car, even though he would have seen it before. he knows as much of the NSX history as anyone, believe me.

I have known Jay a few years and he is an awesome bloke. super friendly, humble and completely down to earth. probably the biggest car nut I have ever come across. he'll for sure have a new NSX when it comes out, if he isn't already promised one that is...

Jay's good reputation seems to stay intact based on a number of first person comments I've seen like yours and on other car-forums.

Ya'll fail to realize that if Jay praised the NSX like he does all of his other supercars, the market would likely rise beyond what some of us "common folk" could afford.:redface:

I was at a local car meet in Menlo Park maybe six months ago, and I got there a little late and so was parked pretty far out. A classic Ferrari parked behind me, and then a McLaren F1. That show was full of exotics and classic Ferraris, but the Big Mac got the most attention by far!

I might have been at that show with my 12C... and that F1 gets a crowd... and it was parked WAAAY far away.

Back