• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Does RPS clutch make your car faster?

I just got my RPS installed from Eddy aka NCC-1777... He did a great job putting it in. Only complaint is son of a gun won't take my money when I tried to pay him. Anyways the car feels a lot faster now. Is that possible?

I just got my RPS installed from Eddy aka NCC-1777... He did a great job putting it in. Only complaint is son of a gun won't take my money when I tried to pay him. Anyways the car feels a lot faster now. Is that possible?

It would feel faster if the old clutch was slipping like a son of a gun and you didn't notice!

Otherwise the HP increase is roughly what a "Type R" sticker give you, maybe a little bit more!:rolleyes::tongue:

If you can complete a shift faster and the car transfers more torque right out of the shift then yes.

The real question may be, possibly, does a new clutch make your car faster compared to a worn clutch? In that case, the answer is likely yes.

Dave, I accepted some of your cash that you offered me. So I got paid !!!!!

I know why you feel you got more power.

a)I flushed out your crappy old clutch fluid.
b) I plugged your tire which had a nail in it so you weren't pulling to one side.

BUT the biggest factor of all the new found HP

after playing Sony's GT series
c) I changed your oil and filter.

If in a game like GT (the driving simulator), you get more HP after changing your oil and filter. It has to be true.

Note to all about RPS clutches.. Make sure you have a clutch disk for a NSX and not for a MR2 even though the pressure plate, flywheel, and box are for the NSX.

I have my own theory. I think the clutch engages faster so at the beginning i.e. in 1st gear I'm on right away and after that every gear is like bam, bam, bam, nice and crisp. Also my old clutch was slipping for a long time and I just didn't know it. On top of that, Eddy did some other work that came out great.:smile:

doubt the rps clutch makes your much car faster , but a slipping stock clutch will definitely make your car slower!

Thats right, that old clutch was so thin, i can't even use it as a coffee table.
It had to be slipping for months now.
Another reason might be cause I took a sludge to your gas tank and dented it in about 3 gallons, so the less fuel equals less weight equals faster times!
Trev
p.s. I also saw Eddies hair slide across your half shafts leaving behind a slick of Brylcream, so right there you have less resistance and more go!
I slipped some aqua velva in the tank for more boost as well.
Trev

Attachments

• homepagebackground.jpg
    homepagebackground.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 23
  • aquavelvet.jpg
    aquavelvet.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The reason why your car feels faster because it is indeed faster.

Your Butt Dyno is correct.

Your stock flywheel is extremely heavy compared to the RPS flywheel.

So your car revs up faster thus giving you a faster acceleration..

If you guys play Gran Turismo like I do... you would have known that..!!!!!!

Oh.. I have to edit and add this

Since I had to install the shorter flywheel bolts compared to your stock flywheel bolts. They are lighter thus saving even more weight. So your engine will rev even faster..

Last edited:
M.C. Dave, go out to your sandbox and take your pail and tie a rope to it. Fill said pail with water. Swing said pail over your head like a cowboy swinging his lariat. Now as your doing this, your pal Ed shows up with his bow and arrow and shoots an arrow through your pail and the water starts leaking out. See how easier it is to swing your pail (lasso) over your head now with less or no water.

Trev
p.s. please note, no one was hurt in this experiment since Ed is a crack shot at the paint ball field.

Back