• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Don at Hilltop good w/ transmission work?

Hey folks, I was about to install a new clutch at Don's, but realized it may not be a clutch problem, but rather a release bearing or engine mount re-centering problem. Anybody here has gone to him to see a similar issue?

I've not had any transmission/clutch work done at Don's but if any problem in that area arose he would be my first and only choice. I've had a variety of work done by Don and based on his service and price would recommend him highly.

I'm VERY picky.... I like Don's work very much. I'm sure he can handle your problem.

:smile: If your NSX is with Don, then you are in good hands. I asked him to change oil on my Murcielago, and he said he will try to work on it on my next visit. Saves me thousands! :wink:

Does Don even work on the car himself? Every time I went to Don's Hilltop there was another kid who doing the work on the NSX's over there. Thats why I didn't leave my NSX with them for the coolant hoses and timing belt job. You might want to ask them who will be working on your car.

Every time I've gone there I've seen Don working on the cars. He has other people who work there but IMO if Don says the work is done it's done. I've never had any issues with Don and his prices are very reasonable.

Does Don even work on the car himself? Every time I went to Don's Hilltop there was another kid who doing the work on the NSX's over there. Thats why I didn't leave my NSX with them for the coolant hoses and timing belt job. You might want to ask them who will be working on your car.

Any work done by others is supervised closely by Don... hardly worth his time to do oil changes -- but I bet he checks torque on the drain plug and tightness of the fliter when it's done. :smile:

Don is a down to earth person, and he loves sports cars! :biggrin: Him and I can literally talk about cars the whole day, ha ha but :rolleyes: I feel guilty for holding up his time, since he gets pretty busy sometimes. And if you have any questions about anything, even if it's someone else's car, he will try to give you his best answer/opinion.

If you want him to work on your car, all you need to do is ask if he would do it, if he said he will, then his words are as good as gold. (If he say he can't, not because he won't, but because he is probably busy working on a particular project that day, therefore ask to schedule an appointment for a later date, where he can work on your car specifically!) And I know for a fact that if you want him to do the oil change, he will do it! Doesn't matter if you drive a Honda Civic, or Acura NSX, if you tell him that you want him to do the oil change, he will. Don't guess/hope he will or will not work on it and later found out that Victor/(the kid, he looks like some punk you might think, but I talked to him a few times, he is a cool guy), or some other mechanic worked on your car and be :mad: about it (I had a bad experience myself because I didn't ASK! That mech doesn't work there anymore). Always be upfront when you are taking your baby to the doc. (Or any business transactions that you are dealing with...) :wink:

One thing I guess a lot of people dislike about his shop are the confined spaces, but I'm sure he is very cautious when moving cars around, especially the NSX or any exotics you want him to take a look. I saw a black Noble one time, and he put orange cones around it. BTW, I confirmed with him last night that he best recommends that I take my Bat to the Dealer, since he said he doesn't want to screwup, very very honest guy! But I will always take my suv there for all the maintenaces.

Last edited:
If you goto Hilltop, make sure Don himself does the work. Don does great work, but I can't say the same for the mechanics who work for him. FYI.

I had Acura of Pleasant Hill install my clutch, flywheel, 4.55 R&P and short gears. It took forever. I found out later that they were waiting for Don to come over to their shop when he had extra time and do the job because they couldn't handle it. The work was flawless.

Thanks- Don sounds like a stand up kind of guy; no need now, but who knows what comes up in the future. I've wondered about Pleasanton Acura, too- they're nearby, but I don't know that I'd try them for anything except somewhat mundane service- most of which I do myself.

Back