• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN Installation and.....Glare Solution

I did. At first I tried to eliminate the use of Bondo by creating putty with ground up ABS and acetone, but the heat here in Houston caused the "putty" to expand at a different rate. In the end I used Acetone as ABS glue and bondo to fill the small gaps. After cutting the console to the rough size, I glues layers of 1/8" thick ABS sheet that I bought on the internet to build up the thickness and then cut out and shaped the Console as needed.

I took my time and redid things several times until I got it a close to perfect as I was capable of.

Don

A little late to this thread but thought i'd share a fellow primer's awesome work. I've been working with CWood and the man is talented. Here is the WIP of my console so far. Amazing work Chris! Thanks for being so awesome at what you do.

Btw... when it comes to plastic, to do it properly bondo should be used very very sparingly. Actually there's a special filler or "bondo" used for plastics. Also, glue, epoxy, have their limitations on plastic. Ideally you want to plastic-weld like CWood is doing on my console.

I also did not want the glare so I carefully calculated the angle the screen needs to be at for 99% of the driving conditions here in Sunny SoCal. This is the ideal solution in my opinion.. Granted.. you can't do this with your typical DoubleDin. I'm using an Alpine monitor/navigation/HKS thin display here so there's all sorts of room behind it. It's coupled with an Alpine EX-10 Bluetooth unit to stream music and calls from my phone which is the smaller screen below.

1167973_3398377533806_1912835010_n_zps47271431.jpg

I'm finally starting on my own dash after accumulating parts for the past few years...hahaha

Stay tuned to a really trick dash, basically I took everything I learned over the years and combined it into one dash piece :)

Back