• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double review on Source 1 and NSX rack repair (d1guy)

My Kaiser Silver came home today, after over a month away!

After a massive UPS shipping fail (the super-slow shipping that made the news recently....took ten days instead of two to receive the returned rack), I now have a refreshed EPS rack! Thanks to Brian Urlage ( @SOURCE 1 ) and his team at Source 1 Automotive for being SUPER-patient with me. They do good work, and I will be back. The service was well worth the three-hour drive from Cleveland. Thanks to Matt Lindsey ( @d1 guy ) at nsxrackrepair for working diligently on my steering rack, as you'll see below.

I requested the service because the steering was looser than it should be, and had a knock on vigorously moving the steering wheel, particularly to the right. Occasionally, in steep right hand turns, there was too much "give" in the steering wheel such that the steering felt a little floaty. I noted it particularly in the carousel at Road America during NSXPO 2017. It was such that I was not confident in keeping a line through that part of the track. I had already been considering the service when I met Matt at NSXPO, so I was a pretty easy sell. Brian *just happened* to be hanging out next to me with his Civic Type-R, and told me about his $2k all-in rack repair service. He hadn't been specifically looking for business, but he found it, LOL. I finally scheduled for mid-November, and the rest is history.

It turns out that my rack had some rusting and so took a lot of extra work to meet Matt's specs. The process is quite time-consuming in the first place and so with a rack with issues, like mine, expect to wait a bit....but your patience will be rewarded. In addition to the rack refreshing, I requested the "plus package", which replaced the end-bell bushing on the passenger side of the EPS. I needed it because I had a knock described above. Last, I was offered, and accepted, fresher tie rods than my 71k mile-old rods. I had prompt contact when needed during th process. Unfortunately, as you may have heard on the news, UPS was very slow in shipping after Thanksgiving, with packages taking as long as two weeks to arrive. I was admittedly a bit nervous, but this was no fault of either Brian or Matt, just everybody else Christmas shopping.

I had the time to pick up the car today, taking advantage of a warm day in Northeast Ohio, preceded by rain the previous two days (less salt on the roads). I had a 220-mile drive home today to test out the new rack. This included taking lots of extra, right-handed, decreasing radius exit ramps. No more floatiness, steering is crisp and accurate, now I'm not afraid to take right turns at speed. It's still not quite like my old S2000, but now it's close. The ultimate way to test will be to go back on the carousel at Road America, I suppose.

I am a very happy customer, so far. If you need this service, I strongly recommend Brian and Matt.

+1 for Matt Lindsey, known him a couple years, great guy to work with and very knowledgeable.

Back