• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Down shifting?

My question is when driving around town is there any down side to down shifting? Or should I just brake instead? Will braking prolong the life of tranny and clutch or is the use minimal for everyday driving? thanks
Dave

I only downshift when I really want to slow the car down, like going down a mountain, or if I want to pass someone.

Otherwise I'm lazy and just put the tranny to neutral and brake.

On the track you will want to downshift, a lot (heel/toe shifting). But on the streets it's more work than it's worth.

On my daily driver, I have yet to have to replace the original clutch so far, on a quarter of a million miles driven.

The more you use the clutch and the transmission, the faster they are going to wear. Especially the clutch. Downshifting, if not done correctly, wears pretty good on the clutch.

I think of it this way....Brake pads cost much, much less than a clutch install.

I do it all the time just for the fun of it. Just make sure you match revs or your clutch and tranny aren't gonna last long.
The most satisfing part of drving it for me is the pefect down shift :biggrin:

Dan Ciesniewski said:
I do it all the time just for the fun of it. Just make sure you match revs or your clutch and tranny aren't gonna last long.
The most satisfing part of drving it for me is the pefect down shift :biggrin:

I couldn't agree with that last comment more. Double clutching and matching the revs perfectly going from 4th to 3rd when coming to a stop or heading into a corner is nirvana for me. The sound of the engine, the exhaust note, ahhhhhhh:smile:...lifes good.

NSXB said:
I couldn't agree with that last comment more. Double clutching and matching the revs perfectly going from 4th to 3rd when coming to a stop or heading into a corner is nirvana for me. The sound of the engine, the exhaust note, ahhhhhhh:smile:...lifes good.

:tongue: You said it Perfectly ... haha... I LOVE it !! :biggrin:

Back