• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Downforce - CF Fuel Tank Cover (think Mugen)

Remember when you first saw the mugen catalog with the NSX fuel tank cover listing over $5,800? Now that was a cool thing to have, but ridiculously priced. We made one in CF and made the price more realistic. I don't have a picture of one mounted yet, but I'm started a new first 10 buyer special. Units will be ready to ship starting Tuesday if I can find the boxes for these things. It's a big piece. To get on the list please go to: http://downforce.biz/special/fuel_cover/

Thank you

fuelcover1.jpg

you guys rock, any pics of one installed on the car?

Uh-oh... (think wet pants...)

Are my eyes deceiving or is that 2x2 weave carbon fiber twill for a part that will see alot of debris and is out of observable view?!?! Damn, trackin' in covert style... :cool:

Pictures

I will try to get a picture tomorrow on the car. It's hard to get a picture with the limited space I have below the car but I will do my best.

Granted the channels in the part will make it more rigid: was that design decision due to a cost issue?

A foam core could have made the exposed part completely flat and added plenty of rigidity...

--
George

The Mugen Aero Piece installed...

65000-XG2-K0S0_3.jpg

I would assume theirs is allmost identicle... Until they post a pic, it gives you something to visualize.

I made the channels because it make the part flex less #1. Then it also matches the bottom carriage better, most OEM parts have channels.

Cost wise it was more expensive because we had to create it, and it's easier to create something flat. I wanted to add a design to it that's all.

The part could have been flat, even with a foam core such a large panel will exprience resonance with pressure. I wanted the panel to be thin and somewhat strong.

Hope this partly explains your question.

Thanks for the picture, it looks very much like that when installed.

Hi John,
It is a good suggestion. I will let the users decide on that because if your car is leaking fuel. You are in some serious trouble! :tongue:

Here's the picture of the fuel cover mounted. I am only using 2 screws in the front section and 2 bolts on each side on the rear. The bolt is a factory fitting, which you take off and put back on.

fc12.jpg

fc15.jpg

Weight

The weight is 10 lbs. The FRP and CF will not differ too much in weigh maybe 1 lb in most cases. We can cut weigh by reducing plys per your request.

The fuel tank is made of metal and is sprayed with undercoating on the bottom I believe. The tank is also covered in something rubbizered, but I'm not 100% sure. I will check this weekend if I still have a fuel tank laying around.

Wow...always wondered when someone would produce a replica of this. Good job! I did notice one thing though. Would it be better to produce a piece with the groves going down the length of the car rather than the width? It would seem to aid in greater flow and less disruption of air, not to mention match the battery piece you guys manufacture as well.

Again, good job.

Ponyboy said:
Wow...always wondered when someone would produce a replica of this. Good job! I did notice one thing though. Would it be better to produce a piece with the groves going down the length of the car rather than the width? It would seem to aid in greater flow and less disruption of air, not to mention match the battery piece you guys manufacture as well.

Again, good job.

I agree completely with this, or just no grooves what so ever. Then I might consider it for the RAT:D

Back