• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Downforce Clean-Air HEPA System

Ok, I got mine today and started to install but have come to a complete stop with the removal of the window trim piece. I understand that this aluminum piece has been on the car for probably more than 10 years and has somewhat bonded to the windshield. I can see the yellow clips that everyone keeps saying I need to unclip inbetween the cowl and trim. I have stuck a toothpick, flat head screw driver, popsicle stick, flat set of car keys, a razor blade right at the clip and still have not seen or heard of a click. This has got to be one of the hardest aftermarket installs I have faced since owning the car. If anyone has installed this and has a close up pick of each step and a closer pick of the yellow clips would be of great help. I just need to understand how the clips are being held and what tabs release them. Im really close to just cutting the stock cowl out....Sam, would love to see step by step picks....:redface:

Ray

Ok, I got mine today and started to install but have come to a complete stop with the removal of the window trim piece. I understand that this aluminum piece has been on the car for probably more than 10 years and has somewhat bonded to the windshield. I can see the yellow clips that everyone keeps saying I need to unclip inbetween the cowl and trim. I have stuck a toothpick, flat head screw driver, popsicle stick, flat set of car keys, a razor blade right at the clip and still have not seen or heard of a click. This has got to be one of the hardest aftermarket installs I have faced since owning the car. If anyone has installed this and has a close up pick of each step and a closer pick of the yellow clips would be of great help. I just need to understand how the clips are being held and what tabs release them. Im really close to just cutting the stock cowl out....Sam, would love to see step by step picks....:redface:

Ray

Agreed this is one of the most tedious parts to remove without damage.

I have attached pics of the lower front window exterior trim and also close ups of the clip.

Honestly I might suggest having it removed at an automotive glass shop.

Once you start prying on the trim it gets bent and there is no way to fix it cosmetically at that point.

Hope the pics help

Last edited:
I didnt remove the clips from the cowl, but the cowl trim from the clips. If you gently pry the cowl trim away from the windshield, you can see the yellow clips. Use a long thin screwdriver, or pick and push dowm on the outer arms of the clips while still holding the cowl trim away from the windshield. When pushing down on the arms of the trim clips, start by pushing down one arm enough to disengage it from he channell in the cowl trim piece. Then do the other arm of the same clip.
Make sure you remove the wiper arms first, and close the hood to remove the cowl trim.

I had a little harder time reinstalling the cowl trim as I didnt get the ends in the correct place.

Does someone Know the part number to the Yellow clips? And how many you need for this molding on the windshield? thanks

Last edited:
Ravi, thanks for the close up picks. Sam you were right. Ok, I found out the problem. After days of frustration I went to Driving Ambitions and Shad showed me how simple this piece was to remove. I couldn't believe it....So I went straight home and did the exact same thing. Here's what people who have had their windshield replaced should know. If they did a good job replacing the windshield you will have hardly any silicone touching the trim piece. If your unlucky like me and had a crapy job done then the whole entire length of the trim piece was simply siliconed on with the broken tabs siliconed in place. Thats right,,,,,I probably had 4 lbs of silicone just on the lower trim....lol. Seriously, watching Shad remove the trim piece was my strength. So I got my hepa in and it looks "4 show". For those who look under the trim to find silicone know that its a b**** to remove. Hope you find no silicone.:smile:

Well I installed the clean air /cowl last weekend. Problems -

1. If you wash the car with a power washer like I own the filter will get soaked to the point that water gets down into the fan assembly. This can't be good and sounds like an electrical problem about to happen when you turn the fan on in your car and hear it churning water... :mad:

2. Passenger windshield wiper has already put a scratch in the new cowl from being turned on to get water off the windshield - tried adjusting the cowl alignment thinking I did something wrong with no success - seems this area has been formed to high enabling the wiper arm to scratch the cowl as it pivots. :mad:

3. Minor complaint but non-the-less... no detailed install instructions with the exception of placing the plastic strips at both end of the filter - for a not so mechanical person they would never get the lower windshield garnish cover off without damaging it and the NSX repair manual doesn't show how to remove it. I'm sure this part isn't cheap... (Don't hold me to this I may have missed it in the manual, but I did look pretty hard through it; irregardless though some people may not have an NSX repair manual available) :mad:

What can we do to fix these issues - I now have a properly installed filter cowl with a half moon wiper blade arm scratch in it... I would also suggest some sort of cover for the filter, anyone caught in a heavy rain or washing their vehicle with a power washer or possibly even a water hose will flood out the blower assembly housing. The water run off from the windshield just can't flow around the cowl before flooding into the filter housing. I would think that part alone, the blower motor housing and electric blower, would be hundreds if not close to a thousand for repair/replacement....

At this point I am going to remove this item from my vehicle this weekend...

Product looks outstanding but needs more engineering for water runoff control and wiper blade clearances.... I will post pictures of my install/removal this weekend when I return home...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are these issues resolved? People that allready have it would you buy it another or just skip it?

Not that I'm aware of. I purchased the product but have yet to take it out of the box because of the issues stated.

hey guys as for the issues with the water wetting filter and dripping into the evaporator/blower area and the wiper arm scrapping this has so far been an isolated issue we are making covers that will cover the filter when washing your car or heavy rain. otherwise they are fitting and working properly. as soon as we finish this cover we will post.:smile:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are these issues resolved? People that allready have it would you buy it another or just skip it?

Not that I'm aware of. I purchased the product but have yet to take it out of the box because of the issues stated.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For the owner who have allready bought this product:
Would you buy it again for $550 ??? or just simply pass on it??

I am thinking about it but seems like people are not happy with what they got from what I am reading.
So before I spend $500+ dollars I would like to hear what the people who allready have recieved theirs feel about it????

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For the owner who have allready bought this product:
Would you buy it again for $550 ??? or just simply pass on it??

I am thinking about it but seems like people are not happy with what they got from what I am reading.
So before I spend $500+ dollars I would like to hear what the people who allready have recieved theirs feel about it????

I would definitely purchase it again :biggrin:

I would definitely purchase it again :biggrin:

You know whats funny I just erased 3 pms from people offering to sell me theirs for 400-450 shipped brand new. I wonder why??
But glad to see some positive remarks on them I might get the one for $400 from the prime member USA1. But I will wait to hear from some more people not from Southern Cali to comment on this before I take the leap.

Last edited:
You know whats funny I just erased 3 pms from people offering to sell me theirs for 400-450 shipped brand new. I wonder why??
But glad to see some positive remarks on them I might get the one for $400 from the prime member USA1. But I will wait to hear from some more people not from Southern Cali to comment on this before I take the leap.

Just to clarify the price is now 750.00 it is no longer available for 550.00
after the group buy we sold about another 14 kits and we are still 5 on back order. So it would take about 3 weeks to get one right now. And I hope that some of the great comments we had gotten from happy owners will post here. :biggrin: Thank you

If someone want to sell me theirs for $400 just give me a PM.

Thanks,
Jason

Hey Jason,
I will have him pm/email you as I don't see anyone with positive comments on it, so I will pass on it.
Does anyone who have this just love it ?? Did you have any issues or all smooth sailing?

Hey Jason,
I will have him pm/email you as I don't see anyone with positive comments on it, so I will pass on it.
Does anyone who have this just love it ?? Did you have any issues or all smooth sailing?

I will leave some positive feedback on this part - The carbon fiber one that I have looks amazing and the build quality is superb. The filter will function as intended, of course there are issues with the design but DF is working on a cover. This part in my opinion will not make your car go faster or offer any superior aerodynamics. This part will offer a show-car type part when you are our at your local gathering...

hey guys as for the issues with the water wetting filter and dripping into the evaporator/blower area and the wiper arm scrapping this has so far been an isolated issue we are making covers that will cover the filter when washing your car or heavy rain. otherwise they are fitting and working properly. as soon as we finish this cover we will post.:smile:

As stated above, DF is working to correct this issue that affected at this time only me in regards to the wiper scratching the product. They have been a pleasure to work with and make some outstanding parts given the price point that they come in at. I would venture to say that you won't find better without spending two to three times as much.

For me the only hiccup was the window trim piece but that was no fault of DF. After installing the kit it made the front bay shine. I agree this is only a cosmetic product geared toward show cars and drivers who don't like pure dust blowing in their face. Why acura never put a cabin air filter to begin with is a mystery. My wife just had her 60,000 mi tune up at porsche and they replaced her CAF. I would buy this item again. Does anyone know if DF will charge for the filter adapter or will they send it to the customers that already purchased the kit for free? Also if someone could check with Sam regarding the wiper arm hole delete cover that would be great.

Back