• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Downforce Second generation NA2 NSX-R Hood

BD

Legendary Member
I just spend an afternoon at DF working with Peter today. The result was more than satisfying.

About a year ago, we pitched in some money and bought a used 2002 NSX-R hood from Yahoo Auction Japan and produced a “first generation” mold, we weren’t 100 % satisfied with the result. Even though the fitment was comparable to other replicas, but deep down in our heart, we knew there are still room for improvement.

As of yesterday, any one who bought the first “generation” DF NSX-R Hood replica understand that the location/mounting points of the hood made the installation a little tricky, therefore, the proper fitment required some movement of the fender and the bumper.

Originally, we though since the NSXs were hand built, the panel fitment of every car will be slightly different. However, we did some serious pondering and discovered that Honda themselves did some minor tweaking to the JDM OEM hood, which was later confirmed by my good friend from Japan. Therefore, we decided to try again by ordering a new hood - After I convince Peter that the money will be well spend. After six months of waiting and $11k, the real deal arrived – Little over one month ago.

We test fit the new hood and the result was perfect; needless to say, Peter immediately start a new project – To produce the second generation mold.

Today, we test fit the first production replica hood on my car (as well as three other cars; including an 04 and two pre 02 cars with upgrade) and I couldn't believe my eyes... The result was truly amazing. In my opinion, the fitment was actually slightly better than the real deal, and no fiddling with the fender and front bumper was required - On all four cars. We simply screwed it in and drop it down…. The gap between each side of the hood/fender was little closer/tighter and I like it much better.

That does this mean? We now have a NSX-R Hood replica that fits just as good, if not, better than the real deal. Peter is prepping the hood for me right now, and I’ll have some pictures soon.

Anyone who is interested in a NSX-R Hood should consider the DF replica, and you will not be disappointed. I’m a very picky person and my quest of having a hood with perfect fitment really took a toll on me. I thought about installing the real deal but didn't want to chance the fact that if I ever get into an accident, the hood will be a total waste. Therefore, my car will wear the DF hood. I absolutely admired the result. The real deal will be store away in my storage in case a new mold is needed.

Peter, great job and keep up the good work!!!

BTW, Peter is considering making the hood to fit pre 02 spec cars. However, he is concern with the investiment for the new mold vs. potential return. I highly encourage any one who is interested in a NSX-R hood for their pre-02 spec cars to contact him. Some times a little encouragement will do wonders.:smile: After all, you can't find JDM OEM replica cheaper than DF. Don't forget, there are many NSX-R wannabe hoods out there (VIS, Taitec, etc), but domestically, DF is the only manufacture has the product that is a direct copy of the real deal. The air duct is deeper to meet OEM functionality, and the quality of CF is probably the best in the USDM market.

Last edited:
Nice work guys....

I hope that Ben eventually makes us the hood...my goal is to do the full '02 conversion at some point. My next step will be either FI or the '02 kit he's selling.

I am interested in a pre-02 nsx-r hood as well.

Very interested in one in Berlina Black.

Will this be available in FRP? will the fitment be as good as the CF? I have a hard time justifying the extra cost of CF when it gets painted anyway. Whats' the weight savings? 1 or 2 pound at most... so you can see CF when you open the hood. The only time I do that is to get to my spare if I have a flat.

Will this be available in FRP? will the fitment be as good as the CF? I have a hard time justifying the extra cost of CF when it gets painted anyway. Whats' the weight savings? 1 or 2 pound at most... so you can see CF when you open the hood. The only time I do that is to get to my spare if I have a flat.

The parts come out of the same mold so the fitment will be the same. (FRP/CF)
And yes wt savings is about 1-2 lbs.
:smile:

Then you'll never see the inside of the hood. Use of the NSX-R hood requires removal of the factory spare. :smile:

I hope there will be a version that allows the spare at least on the pre 02 versions where the market is much larger. Some of us have seen enough not to drive without a spare, AAA/flat bed or not ........ I would be interested if the fit is better than what I have seen so far. Some "high" end vented hoods are buckling at speeds in the 100+ range .... with only the front latch securing the hood, makes one wonder when they may just fly off; the bracing that the OEM hoods use must have some functionality!

YMMV.

Dave,

You need to take your car to more car meets and show it off... I open my hood all the time so people can admire the small racing battery. :biggrin: (and soon the exposed CF underside of my painted CF NSX-R Replica Hood. :wink: )

Steve

So the 'Second Generation' hood I purchased from Ben a couple weeks ago is not this hood?

Last edited:
So the 'Second Generation' hood I purchased from Ben a couple weeks ago is not this hood?
It should be the same. The one was test fit on my car was designated to me, and I didn't go down there after two week the hood was made.

Last edited:
I'm down for the hood - also interested in the screen that attaches to it and the air director that goes under the hood to assist in directing the air flow up through the hood vent. If DF is interested and the price is better than our German based friend then I will even be willing to put up a down payment.....

I'm looking for carbon fiber top and bottom...

Dave, we test fit a FRP version, and it was fine. I highly recommand the FRP top, and CF bottom, if you look at the real deal, Honda left the bottom side exposed CF.

This is a picture from a real NSX-R hood from a Championship white car.

bonnnet_3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious about the construction of the DF hood: is it made out of prepeg or some other form of resin transfer (wet lay up, RTM, vacuum infusion, vacuum bagged).

Any information is most appreciated.

--
George

I'm curious about the construction of the DF hood: is it made out of prepeg or some other form of resin transfer (wet lay up, RTM, vacuum infusion, vacuum bagged).

Any information is most appreciated.

--
George

Standard wet carbon lay up, other options are available. You will have to contact Peter for pricing.

Here is the hood with candy clear coat.

The hood is not yet ready, and I will take some more pictures when the hood is complete, including the berlina black paint job.

DSC01210.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

DSC01206.jpg

Saw the hood in person today, ran my finger through the fender and hood, it is completely down, no uneven spots or any portion of hood higher than the fender. That is without adjustments to the fender. Bravo

Other hood including my have issues clearing the cowl. The sides are higher than the fender even after adjustments. Removing the crowl helps but looks like crap with that empty hole from certain angles.

Hey Vance, are these the same hood which are being offerred for sale by erick on the other vendor thread?

How come DF is not selling it directly this time round?

More pictures of the DF new hood, painted to match my car. And matching DF NSX-R Spoiler.

Erick will be starting a GB soon with some good incentives.

DSC01223.jpg

DSC01221.jpg

DSC01219.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

Right after the paint job last night. Pictures taken by Steve (NSX1)
dfHood02_800.jpg

dfHood04-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back