• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Dragons, lugnuts and attempted murder" My trip to Deal's Gap

Thanks man! Yah I went from "Lieutenant Dan" to Captain Hook and in two more years it'll be Dr. Hook... What a cliche'd life I live...

Anyhow, I took the car to a few body shops and got all kinds of mixed answers on repair. Finally the people recommended by Acura are of the opinion that since the door now has minor creases across the upper "line" (think about 6 inches below the window), they recommend getting a new door rather than just 'bondo' it. They said that they (and no one else within a few hundred miles) are equipped to handle aluminum repairs w/o the risk of contamination, that's the best way to go. Guess we'll see!

Lt. Dan, wish you a new door, painted to your satisfaction. :wink:
Damn those Tarheels, anyway.

Dent wizards can do some amazing things,so before getting a whole new door I'd try the paintless dent removal route. Regardless of your wheels use 80 ft/lbs.

Thanks Docjohn... I'm not too concerned about the cost as the ignorant guy who attempted to perforate my spleen will be the one assuming the cost so my biggest thing is 'done right the first time.' Also, the dent creases the body line, which at least in the past, I've been told can't be repaired. I'll still look into it though...

Any reasoning on the 80 ft/lbs over the 75? Not arguing, just curious if it's been 'researched'?

80 ft/lbs is Honda's suggestion not mine.Of course if we polled about a 1000 owners I'm sure we'd have a nice bell curve from 75-85.I hope you already had your stats test:wink:Med school grades are funny.Ours were always graded on the curve so in general if the group does poorly you have to do really badly to fail.Any ideas on what your future residency will be?

You studied all week long and still did poorly?
Perhaps a better disciplined study method is needed. Not just the week before but routinely to reinforce what is covered as it is taught. I'd look into what resources are available on campus for better study and retention techniques and habits.

Ten years from now the rendezvous with the moron will be just a story at a party you'll be hopefully telling to fellow doctors about one day in school.

Last edited:
Actually I studied longer than that, but still... :( I have a mild head injury (from my crash) that effects my retention of certain things (mostly names/dates etc) and since I have no "skeleton" with which to hang the new pharm stuff on, i just 'lose it' as soon as i get it.... :( I have A's and B's in ALL my other classes in med school, and then i'm dead last in pharm... it sucks :(

80 ft/lbs is Honda's suggestion not mine.Of course if we polled about a 1000 owners I'm sure we'd have a nice bell curve from 75-85.I hope you already had your stats test:wink:Med school grades are funny.Ours were always graded on the curve so in general if the group does poorly you have to do really badly to fail.Any ideas on what your future residency will be?

On all my cars I generally do 84 lbs (in case my torque wrench is on the low-end of the +/- 5% accuracy) with this procedure...
- Each nut once in a cross-wheel pattern.
- Repeat.
- After driving a while I check/repeat once more, in case the wheel wasn't perfectly seated for the initial torquing.

15 years ago I had a rumble just like the OP described, except I was driving straight down the interstate...so the rumble would come/go depending on degree of acceleration/coasting/deceleration (not curves vs. straight). Pulled over on the shoulder and found a couple missing and a couple loose. Adopted current procedure after that and haven't had any loose nuts or broken studs since.

Last edited:
Back